Computer Chips & Tuners  

2004 - 2008 F 150 FX4 performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 AM
manano
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 - 2008 F 150 FX4 performance

Hi All, Congratulations for the site. very interesting and helpfull...
Ok, I just bough a 2006 F 150 FX4 with 25k miles on it and it rund great. (it's the half ton reg. cab) although I feel the engine strong. the car isn't fast... I dont know where to start to modify it, maybe the programmer?, the gears?, the differential?... I want to make it give all what it's cappable of without making it a race or comp car (I dont want to put in any lift kits or NOS or supercharger and big stuff like that...)

Speak Up guys!

Regards.
Luis B.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Start with the basics, do a cold air kit (I Like K&N and green filters), Exhaust (as much as your budget allows, ie cat-back and headers), and lastly a tuner. For tuners, I love my sniper special forces, but I have also had good luck with Superchips and Edge.

Once you have those out of the way, then you can do some fun stuff like gears, torque converter, cams, ect.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi Luis B
One of the first and most popular mods you probably would want to start with is some sort of flash tuner / programmer. Most brands that are mentioned here at FTE are the best to start looking into.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
For a very popular 1st mod I would go with the Gryphon from PHP. It is affordable and you will instantly feel the performance gains. IMHO. Congrats on the truck. I have the same year and model but flareside. Welcome to the site.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
manano
New User
Hey Thanks Joe...
What have you done to yours?
Regards..

Old 04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
Well thus far I have done the Line-X in the bed, some step bars so the wife can get in easier, and I have just ordered my Gryphon and it should be here in a day or two. I can't wait.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
manano
New User
Nice move on the gryphon!, please let us know what kind of difference you feel!
Regards...

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
OK were to begin. My truck is stock and I loaded level 2 last night had a few beers so didn't get to try it. I made it to work in record time. I can't believe this Gryphon programmer. I can't wait for my custom tunes to come in. I have to say this takes 2nd place to my Line-X only because I use my truck as a truck and didn't want to muck up the bed. The power and the performance that the Gryphon gave to my truck is what I thought I had when I bought her. I am just waiting for Johnny law to come and pull me over for speeding. The gauges alone are amazing. You can see everything that is going on with your truck. I did alot of research about tuners before I bought my Gryphon at Power Hungry Performance - Welcome to the site that is setting the standard for custom Ford tuning! and I am so glad I did. The product works as advertised and is totally customizable by ASEMECHANIC the Gryphon GURU. If you use your truck as a truck then get the Line-X first then get the Gryphon. No way you can go wrong with Bill's custom tunes and the Gryphon. The custom tunes come with the cost of the Gryphon if you act fast. Congrats again and good luck, sorry for ranting

Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
manano
New User
Awesome!, Congrats for the gryphon. I'm thinking in gettin' one of those... I haven't put any programmer before, and I usea my truck in the city most of the time... Only once in a while I take her out to the beach and the dunes. The truck runs good on sand but I felt it a little short not in power ('cause you can hear the triton screaming loud when you go full throttle), but the speedometer doesn't go as fast as the revs do though, so The first thing I thought of was the Programmer, high-flow air filter and maybe some exhaust... I just didn't have enough info on what's out there about programmers... That Gryphon sounds great!
C'mon people, speak out!
Thanks for your coments Joe,
Regards

Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 AM
mbogosia
More Turbo
I think a tuner is your best place to start. I had my gears done in my former F150 and had some gear whine. I know another guy did also. I think the hard thing about gears would be finding a shop that can do it right and that will stand behind their work. Start with a tuner and don't worry about the gears.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:51 PM
barecove
Elder User
doing the tuner before cold air intake may lead to some problems... nothing big.... but the engine will perform better with the CAI in place first.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FX4Joe
OK were to begin. My truck is stock and I loaded level 2 last night had a few beers so didn't get to try it. I made it to work in record time. I can't believe this Gryphon programmer. I can't wait for my custom tunes to come in. I have to say this takes 2nd place to my Line-X only because I use my truck as a truck and didn't want to muck up the bed. The power and the performance that the Gryphon gave to my truck is what I thought I had when I bought her. I am just waiting for Johnny law to come and pull me over for speeding. The gauges alone are amazing. You can see everything that is going on with your truck. I did alot of research about tuners before I bought my Gryphon at Power Hungry Performance - Welcome to the site that is setting the standard for custom Ford tuning! and I am so glad I did. The product works as advertised and is totally customizable by ASEMECHANIC the Gryphon GURU. If you use your truck as a truck then get the Line-X first then get the Gryphon. No way you can go wrong with Bill's custom tunes and the Gryphon. The custom tunes come with the cost of the Gryphon if you act fast. Congrats again and good luck, sorry for ranting
Thanks for the wonderful feedback! It's always very appreciated. It's also great to find someone I know on here. This is a new forum for me.

Blessings,
Corey
Mrs. Power Hungry Performance

Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went w/ exhaust, intake and a programmer. Woke up my FX4. To get the most out of you're programmer, firm up you're WOT( wide open throttle) shift points, it helps to get the most out of the engine's power, IMO.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
I just received my custom tunes from Bill at PHP yesterday and Holy Moly I am LOVING my 87 Performance tune. I lit up the reaers pulling out of my drive way this morning without even attempting to. (Wife called me 2 minutes later and chewed my ear off, Oh well it was accident) The performance is truly amazing. I have yet to try others but I would by shocked if they were not quality like the performance tune. After a tank full of smiles I will switch over to the 87 Economy Tune and see how my mileage compares. Thank you once again Bill and Cory for an outstanding product, service and professionalism. I will continue to recommend you to all Ford lovin truckers out here in California !!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Talking

Originally Posted by FX4Joe
I just received my custom tunes from Bill at PHP yesterday and Holy Moly I am LOVING my 87 Performance tune. I lit up the reaers pulling out of my drive way this morning without even attempting to. (Wife called me 2 minutes later and chewed my ear off, Oh well it was accident) The performance is truly amazing. I have yet to try others but I would by shocked if they were not quality like the performance tune. After a tank full of smiles I will switch over to the 87 Economy Tune and see how my mileage compares. Thank you once again Bill and Cory for an outstanding product, service and professionalism. I will continue to recommend you to all Ford lovin truckers out here in California !!
ROFL about your wife! (Sounds a lot like me!)

We're so glad you're enjoying your new tunes, and we really appreciate your patience! Bill's working as fast as he can! Thank you, too, for your wonderful testimonial. It's nice to hear that we're makin' people happy!

Blessings,
Corey
Mrs. Power Hungry Performance