Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Posting Guru

secondarychaos is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much magnesol?

I've decided to use magnesol...
but how much do i use???
Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
If you do not remove the Methanol first; 2% by weight. I recover the methanol first, then filter out the soap, then use only 1% by weight.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Posting Guru

secondarychaos is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, when you say remove the methanol, is that before or after draining glycerine?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1 drain glycerol
2 recover methanol from BD
3 wash BD with magnesol
4 recover methanol from glycerol

steps 3 & 4 can occur simultaneously
Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior User

TxFordGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
will magnesol remove the water in the oil as well? i am having a problem dewatering my oil and my water in fuel light keeps coming on in my truck? I also have recently been informed that all my methanol is not getting out of my bio either. could maybe i don't have water and it is the extra little bit of methanol cause my light to come on? i am trying to make some good bio and am thinking of switching to magnesol. thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Senior User

Knotwild is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don:
Are you filtering your Magnesol out or running a centrifuge? I have been filtering first with gravity through socks and then pulling the fuel by vacum through 1 micron Biotek filters. It works, but without pressure (since I am using vacum) the filters stop flowing too quick. I am debating buying a Dieselcraft centrifuge or a bag filter housing.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

PS: I use 2 grams/liter after removing methanol.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotwild View Post
Don:
Are you filtering your Magnesol out or running a centrifuge? I have been filtering first with gravity through socks and then pulling the fuel by vacum through 1 micron Biotek filters. It works, but without pressure (since I am using vacum) the filters stop flowing too quick. I am debating buying a Dieselcraft centrifuge or a bag filter housing.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

PS: I use 2 grams/liter after removing methanol.
I filter out the Magnesol. I use 3 filter housings, and an air powered diaphragm pump to force it thru them. The first is 50 microns, it then goes directly to a duel 10 micron setup with a pressure switch, and a electric valve. When the pressure increases to a preset level the pressure switch opens the valve and diverts the bio to the second filter automatically and lights a red light that lets me know to switch out the first filter. After I've filtered to 10 microns I run the whole batch through a 5 micron, then a 1 micron absolute. I've found a used continuous centrifuge for sale at $2,500 and may buy it and switch over. Still trying to justify the $$$$$

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hang in there Don, sooner or later they will give it to you.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Senior User

Knotwild is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK. I got off topic. I use 2g/liter myself after demething. Works great.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 PM