1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No start after Edge programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Power_Hungry
Former ******
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing we have found is that the cold climates can advance the injection timing enough to cause problems. In other cases, the timing advance on some vehicles isn't enough to compensate for temperature differences, resulting in vehicles that are sluggish and unresponsive.

I have not looked into the relationship between ULSD quality and timing, but given the prevalence of ULSD it may certainly mean that we (calibrators) will have to completely reconsider the way tuning is handled on 7.3L's and 6.0L's in regards to timing and injection pressures.

As a note... 6.4L tuning is vastly different from anything Ford has offered before and has many more tables to control fuel rates, timing and other functions. Aside from the obvious emissions aspect of using multiple tables to maintain tighter control over injection and emissions, there are other reasons, some of which may be related to the poor lubrication qualities different burn properties of ULSD. School is still out on that, though.

Bill

Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Thanks Bill!
Just seems things changed with the ULSD.

Bill

Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
This thread just took a turn. A technical one.

My middle name is Bill. Kinda. Wlm.

Thanks to both of you for your chops here on FTE.
- Ish

Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
lol, breakin a sweat there? dont worry, just make sure the connection is good when you go to reprogram and keep your fingers crossed. get gauges to moniter temps and keep an eye on the tranny for quirks, it wont effect the e4Od like it does the 5r110, it does change pressures and shifts so just watch for any issues before they develop.
Like neck snapping shifts?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM
SirVive
New User
Was going to get an Edge, now what?

I am a complete dummy on tunes and chips so that's why I'm here. '99 E350 van with a PSD (no you don't ever want to work on it, it is crammed in there!!!) I am driving this thing 250-300 miles a week so I'm looking to boost fuel economy
When I first got it I pulled the PCM and went to get a Bullydog chip to put in it but they don't even make one. Somehow the computer is different on the vans; don't ask me how, its been too long since I pulled it. Several of the other manufactures didn't have one either, can't remember which other ones I looked at. The other day I went in to see an old timer at his shop who always troubleshoots and helps me out for free and he highly recommended the Edge Evo - said he had installed several hundred of them without any issues. I was going to get one ... until I stumbled on this thread.
Does anyone know what would be a good choice that will work on this rig? Nothing fancy, just something better than stock. This thing will hold 70+ all the way up Siskiyou Pass loaded with 9 people and gear even with the stock tune.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't expect big mileage gains from ANY chip or programmer. It's just not gonna happen. Maybe 1-2 if you're lucky just so you know. Making sure brakes, bearings, fluids, etc. in the driveline are up to snuff is real important. Along with fixing any boost leaks, uppipe leaks, etc. Free flowing intake and exhaust. Proper air pressure in the tires..

Here is a thread for other alternatives to the edge

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rogrammer.html

Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 PM
davalt75
Senior User
I had a similar problem with my 2011 F250 with the 6.2L. I had the evo cs on my 08 F150 4x4 and it worked great. Bought the 6.2 yesterday and couldn't wait to get the programmer on it. I called edge and asked them if the programmer was compatible and they told me it was. I connected it to the computer and let it download the latest programming. Connected it to the truck and downloaded the level 2 tow program. Truck cranked but ran really rough and wouldn't go over about 20 mph. I was getting the same PCM error and was also telling me it failed to detect the key in the on position when I tried to switch back to factory programming. I was nearly in a state of panic as I had only had the truck a matter of hours. I eventually was able to get the programmer to detect the key in the on position by pressing the enter button immediately after turning the key on. I had previously been waiting a second or two before turning the key. This did the trick for me. The truck is back to stock. I called Edge yesterday but it was about 5 min. before they were closing and the tech wasn't very eager to dig in to my problem. He told me they had been having some problems with the new programming but couldn't do anything until it had been set back to stock. It will be Monday before I can call them back.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
If I were you, I would probably start a thread in the 6.2L forum, the Super Duty, or both. The Super Duty board appears to have far higher traffic, anyway.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM
davalt75
Senior User
Thanks. I'm new to the forum, and forums in general for that matter. Still trying to feel my way around.