Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Former ******

Power_Hungry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bill Cohron
One thing we have found is that the cold climates can advance the injection timing enough to cause problems. In other cases, the timing advance on some vehicles isn't enough to compensate for temperature differences, resulting in vehicles that are sluggish and unresponsive.

I have not looked into the relationship between ULSD quality and timing, but given the prevalence of ULSD it may certainly mean that we (calibrators) will have to completely reconsider the way tuning is handled on 7.3L's and 6.0L's in regards to timing and injection pressures.

As a note... 6.4L tuning is vastly different from anything Ford has offered before and has many more tables to control fuel rates, timing and other functions. Aside from the obvious emissions aspect of using multiple tables to maintain tighter control over injection and emissions, there are other reasons, some of which may be related to the poor lubrication qualities different burn properties of ULSD. School is still out on that, though.

Bill
Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Postmaster

MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks Bill!
Just seems things changed with the ULSD.

Bill
Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Senior User

MTNWOODY is starting off with a positive reputation.
This thread just took a turn. A technical one.

My middle name is Bill. Kinda. Wlm.

Thanks to both of you for your chops here on FTE.
- Ish

White 1997 F250HD CC PSD E4OD 4.10s 152k

K&N FIPK (w/ sock!), 3" DP & delete,

Guages x3, Edge Evo, 10k, HPX, 203* T-stat

2.5" Lift, 285/75 Toyo ATs, Line-X, Shell & Rack

Coming Soon... 140v IDM,CCV Mod, Rear Air Springs, 4" exhaust behind delete and a set of MTs for snow!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Senior User

mcdavidson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
lol, breakin a sweat there? dont worry, just make sure the connection is good when you go to reprogram and keep your fingers crossed. get gauges to moniter temps and keep an eye on the tranny for quirks, it wont effect the e4Od like it does the 5r110, it does change pressures and shifts so just watch for any issues before they develop.
Like neck snapping shifts?

1997 F350 CREW, 103K, Cardinal Red / 18" Ultra Motorsport Wheels / 38" KUMHO Tires / AFE Cold intake / 3" DownPipe / 4" straight pipe /PHP 6 Position Chip / E4OD Shift Kit - BTS Valve Body / Transmission Cooling Pan / 15" Trans Cooler / Xenon Fender Flares / 6" Lift / DiPricol Optix -Trans-Exhaust-Boost Gauges
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM
New User

SirVive is starting off with a positive reputation.
Was going to get an Edge, now what?

I am a complete dummy on tunes and chips so that's why I'm here. '99 E350 van with a PSD (no you don't ever want to work on it, it is crammed in there!!!) I am driving this thing 250-300 miles a week so I'm looking to boost fuel economy
When I first got it I pulled the PCM and went to get a Bullydog chip to put in it but they don't even make one. Somehow the computer is different on the vans; don't ask me how, its been too long since I pulled it. Several of the other manufactures didn't have one either, can't remember which other ones I looked at. The other day I went in to see an old timer at his shop who always troubleshoots and helps me out for free and he highly recommended the Edge Evo - said he had installed several hundred of them without any issues. I was going to get one ... until I stumbled on this thread.
Does anyone know what would be a good choice that will work on this rig? Nothing fancy, just something better than stock. This thing will hold 70+ all the way up Siskiyou Pass loaded with 9 people and gear even with the stock tune.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Post Fiend

427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.
Don't expect big mileage gains from ANY chip or programmer. It's just not gonna happen. Maybe 1-2 if you're lucky just so you know. Making sure brakes, bearings, fluids, etc. in the driveline are up to snuff is real important. Along with fixing any boost leaks, uppipe leaks, etc. Free flowing intake and exhaust. Proper air pressure in the tires..

Here is a thread for other alternatives to the edge

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...rogrammer.html
"TheBeast"1997F2504x4dually4.10's,160k,140VIDM,HPX ,4-5"dp, S366 turbo, 6637, elec. fuel,rosewood stage ones,php,arp studs, comp springs, smith brothers push rods, T500 HPOP,melling lpop,180 tstat,6.0 fan and IC,trucool,coolant filter,scan gauge,lots of other gauges,racer x valve body and billet converter, upgraded trans, F550 leaf springs,SD dual tensioner upgrade, cold ac mod
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Junior User

davalt75 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a similar problem with my 2011 F250 with the 6.2L. I had the evo cs on my 08 F150 4x4 and it worked great. Bought the 6.2 yesterday and couldn't wait to get the programmer on it. I called edge and asked them if the programmer was compatible and they told me it was. I connected it to the computer and let it download the latest programming. Connected it to the truck and downloaded the level 2 tow program. Truck cranked but ran really rough and wouldn't go over about 20 mph. I was getting the same PCM error and was also telling me it failed to detect the key in the on position when I tried to switch back to factory programming. I was nearly in a state of panic as I had only had the truck a matter of hours. I eventually was able to get the programmer to detect the key in the on position by pressing the enter button immediately after turning the key on. I had previously been waiting a second or two before turning the key. This did the trick for me. The truck is back to stock. I called Edge yesterday but it was about 5 min. before they were closing and the tech wasn't very eager to dig in to my problem. He told me they had been having some problems with the new programming but couldn't do anything until it had been set back to stock. It will be Monday before I can call them back.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Postmaster

BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.
Pilgrim812
If I were you, I would probably start a thread in the 6.2L forum, the Super Duty, or both. The Super Duty board appears to have far higher traffic, anyway.
1996 F-250 XLT 4x4, "Heavy Metal", 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF S5-42 transmission with Valair clutch and flywheel, Supercab, 8' bed, Riffraff 6637, HPX, Dieselsite 203 degree thermostat, 3" Downpipe to 4" straight pipe exhaust.
"you are not a troll. a pain in the --- sometimes, but not a troll." - tjc transport
Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Junior User

davalt75 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks. I'm new to the forum, and forums in general for that matter. Still trying to feel my way around.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
73, custom, edge, evolution, f250, f350, fried, program, programmer, programming, start, stock, truck, work, writer, writers