Computer Chips & Tuners  

HELP LOST PCM Programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
mikemonster
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP LOST PCM Programming

This past weekend I was going to let a friend see how his truck performed using my SuperChips 1705. I put my truck in "stock programming and then we plugged into his truck (mine is a 97 PSD his is a 94 PSD). Everthing was going fine we went through the prompts for programming w/o towing, no speed limit, the programmer saved his programming and began loading the "tuned program". It got to the end and listed and error (22?) and said to contact Superchips This is where it got bad..... we tried to check what program was in his truck but the tuner would not read his truck it just kept posting the error. His truck started so we thought his truck was fine. THEN, we took the tuner back to my 97 and when we plugged it in it went through the normal checks we then selected tuning and the programmer started installing "stock program". After this my truck would not start . I had it towed to the dealer and According to the local Ford dealer I've lost everything in my PCM and it needs to be replaced. Superchips is unable to help unless I send them my tuner and PCM. Dealer wants $835 to replace the PCM. I originally thought the dealer would be able to reload the stock programing but this dealer say they can't and the only fix is to install a new PCM. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get my truck back on the road?

Thanks,
MIke

Old 02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
pukemon
Senior User
you sure the dealing isn't trying to swindle you outta buying a new pcm? i definitely see that happening knowing the high profit margins dealers makes on parts and accessories. are you able to pull the pcm yourself or know somebody who can?

Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 AM
BumperB
Senior User
They should be able to reflash the PCM unless it was fried. Did you make sure you returned your friend's truck to stock before you hooked it back up to yours? Sounds like Superchips was trying to install his stock tune on your truck.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
mikemonster
Freshman User
On my friends programming yes it was returned to stock (we checked it after the programmer copied his program into my PCM) but the first error in the Superchips stored his stock programming which was then loaded into my PCM which is what caused the problem. I feel the Superchip should have detected the mis-match VIN when it was put in my truck so that his program didn't get installed in my PCM (which I will try to resolve with Superchips)

Since my post I visited the dealer and after going thru the Service manager (who doesn't really understand how the PCM is programmed and originally told me that it needed to be replaced because it was dead) I talked to the lead tech that work on the truck and who confirmed what I already knew....the PCM is functional but it needs to be reprogrammed and the old stock program needed to be restored. He then said that "the dealership does not have the ability to completely restore the PCM programming. This is not what I was told by the service manager when I had the truck towed there otherwise I would have had it towed to my home.
I can R&R the PCM that's not a problem, however getting it reprogrammed may be more expensive than replacing it with a used one (need the exact same PCM as they differ year to year, AT or MT, engine, state , emissions) there appears to be several different PCMs for 1997 PSD's. I'll get the complete number off of my PCM once I get the truck home today.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikemonster; 02-21-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:32 AM
mikemonster
Freshman User
Finally found and bought a replacement PCM, now I'll try to work with SuperChips on re-programming my original PCM & Tuner. The 1705 should have (but didn't) perform a Vin check and re-programmed my old PCM...........more to come once SC gets my stuff and tells me what they will do for me.

Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I've never had that kind of difficulty with a superchips. Can the tuner communicate with the old PCM? If so, the dealership just doesn't want to do the work, but you might be able to do it yourself if your willing to buy an interface. Read this page http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&menuIndex1=38

The EEpod was the cheapest I could find at $500, and a 3 day subscription is $15 so you would still be a few hundred a head.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 AM
mikemonster
Freshman User
ReAX,

The problem is that the SC failed to VIN lock and "restored" the stock program from another PCM over my stock PCM programming. As I said in my last post, I got a replacement PCM and the truck is now running stock programming. I'm sending my old original PCM and SC 1705 in to SuperChip. I will post the outcome.

thanks

Mike