General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

my property tax just went way up :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my property tax just went way up :(

Our property tax value went up $94,235.00 in one year aint that a bi@#^. they want to tax you but refuse to pay you what they value your land for and I know I'll never get what they have my property valued at for it if I do sale. does any body else have a problem with property tax acessments.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:27 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it may be different in your state but when i get my tax assement every year they send along a form that you can contest what they have set your taxes at. i contest it ever year and they reduce it every year. i normally go to zillow.com and find some camparable properties that are for sale or have sold for less than what they have valued my property at and send them in with the paperwork.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,151 Likes on 4,216 Posts
In Massachusetts...all cities and towns are required to reevaluate all properties every three years. They do this by analyzing the past three years sales...thus they are always three years behind in the real value...very frustrating indeed. This year the valuation of my condo went up 21% despite the fact that the last sale represented a 15% drop in value from the previous assesment. Because the closing was after the first of this year...it won't be reflected until the next reevaluation...three years from now. Applications for abatement based on valuation are very rarely granted...I have appealed twice...went loaded for bear with all kinds of facts and figures...got denied both times.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
there is a contest form in the envelope, huuummm how much trouble is it to get them to reduce the taxes. I already have it reduced to farm tax and getting that done was like pulling teeth out of a tiger. all I have to do is show a $1000.00 profit from the land every year and it counts as a farm, I lease the land out to a farmer.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VA has property tax on car/trucks too..geez where does all my tax money go?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Libra
Senior User
I just have a problem with property taxes in general basically you can never really own your own property outright. You are basically renting it out from the government. Even when the mortgage is done the government wants your money.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trash it out until it gets assessed low - then build a chain link fence, put a big hedge around it all and breed ROTTWEILERS!

Aah, shoot! I'm having too much fun...

Last edited by Greywolf; 01-18-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Ours tripled last year, thanks to Las Vegas stupid housing ideas. But they are paying the piper now. Brokers and real estate people going broke right and left. Somehow I have no feelings for them.

Boy you can buy a newer Lexus, and Beemer now. Even Mercedes. All these paper rich, are now living in apartments, and riding the buss system.

Hahahahahahahahaha. I love it!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"Brokers and real estate people going broke right and left. Somehow I have no feelings for them. "
I don't either. They should have saved that fat cash they were making.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
property taxes are one of the biggest scams going in this country.

basing the tax system off of value is ridiculous. all that does is give the gov more money to waste without actually ever needing it.

a county that has 50k people living in 50k houses needs the same things as a county with 50k people living in million dollar houses. why does one get more money automatically because of property values is beyond me. taxes should be voted on and voted on only, not just automatically raised because values raised.

also, as someone stated, property taxes are nothing more then proving you do not own your property.

also these taxes push out poorer people, my mom had her tax go way up in the years she lived in florida to the point she could not afford to live in the same neighborhood anymore. she had to sell her house and move further out of town so she could afford it.

oh yes, that money from the increased value in property she got? it only works if you are moving to a cheaper area, the money you most likely make from the sale just gets rolled into another over priced house you have to buy. and it only works if you wanted to sell in the first place.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The real estate people in California better get out before the bottom falls out.

It's inflated so far that it must go to pieces at some point!

It just is not realistic.

You can have a place just over the state line from it - shop there, and to hell with California taxes altogether.

Last edited by Greywolf; 01-18-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you saying you have to send in a 94 thousand dollar check every year? Or is that what they are saying your land is worth?

An increase in assesed value does not always mean an increase in the tax bill. So what was the difference in what you actually paid? Sometimes a municipality will switch to a 'real value' assesment and then lower the tax rate. The end result is you still pay the same $$$$ in taxes, but the municipality gets a more favorable rating because their tax rate per $ in property value is lower. Helps to bring business into the area.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
That's how the local governments raise money without raising taxes.......Add a few bucks onto the property tax formula, and voila'.......Millions of extra tax dollars to help pay for community 'improvements'........

Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
Are you saying you have to send in a 94 thousand dollar check every year? Or is that what they are saying your land is worth?
That would really suk, no?......

Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 PM
bczolone
Elder User
They fly over our property all the time and take pictures...so far I'm doing good still about 100K under what others have sold for, but I have had to have them reasess my old place because they got out of hand...and it was lowered. Now its only about 5K a year.

Quick Reply: my property tax just went way up :(