Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

93' 4wd shift linkage broke... why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 AM
LilDuke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That same shifter is found behind my m5od on my f-150. There are 2 bolts that hold it onto the transmission. iirc they're 21~22mm. From all my experiences, the shift linkage is the same on all trannys from 87-97. The shift arm that slides in to the white metal is only thing different.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:45 PM
drewp21
New User
Originally Posted by mstromni
I guess 92-96 is the stupid cast pot-metal one...by the way, the whole casting is junk. i had one of the webbings in a vice and it didnt take much force to snap the whole webbing off, either.

If I were to make up steel replacements for ~ $60 + shipping, would people be wiling to buy them?
id be interested/ mine just broke today stuck in 4wd low. i just bought the truck primarily for towing my boat a couple miles to the ramp and back. i needed 4wd to work obviously and it was stuck in 2wd.
So after oiling it good last nite i left it sit till this afternoon, a good full 24hrs. i did manage to free it enough to catch 4wd h. of course the end result was trying to go back up to 2wd it just plain broke free. id have to agree that its pathetic to use material like this in this part. im sure age and the fact i had to work it hard to get movement was a factor but a steel part would not of broken.
after it broke free i headed home in 4wd. must not of been completely engaged though as 2 blocks away from my house it popped out of gear and went coasting. getting it into a gear was a problem, i think there was some luck involved. as a few seconds later moving the lever back and forth it managed to find 4wd low and i muttered a few choice words and made it home.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
I still have a spare I'm not using. Make me an offer.....

Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 PM
drewp21
New User
Smile

Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
ill get back to you on that, definatly interested. just low on funds this week.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:57 AM
mwk
Senior User
I broke my shifter when I changed my tranny. The ones for my 95 are impossible to find. I had to plow snow and just shifted the transfer case manually. After the shift linkage is off, you easily click the range gears just like an automatic transmission. Just to get you through until you find a welded part or are lucky enough to find a used but intact shifter.

I got one from ebay a few weeks ago that was already welded and it works real nice. Just keep the pivot bolt lubed and be sure it moves freely.
This auction is a repair for your shifter if you send it to him. You might find a welding shop close to you that can weld it up nice, too.
The rods you can buy are okay if you practice on something else first.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:00 PM
speedrdr
Elder User
after reading all these breakage stories, i'm going to do two things. first is i'm gonna lube the stew out of mine and second thing i'm gonna be a LOT nicer when i shift it. thank goodness i've got a second parts truck now. be my luck that's broken on the second truck.

speedrdr

Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
drewp21
New User
hi , you still got the shifter? still need one. managed to get it on stands yesterday and gave it a good looking over, definatly is that cast aluminum part thats snapped in half. take $20 plus $5 to ship?

one other thing, the linkage has plastic or hard rubber grommets that look like there attached to the links ball studs? am i looking at this correctly? ive seen 2 repair manuals that show absolutely jack about this linkage to the transfer case.
was wondering how or what is the best way to dissasemble the linkage..... mainly just need to get the link off the broken shifter part. it doesnt seem to respond to prying. and being unsure i didnt want to force the issue.

thanks. Andy

Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by drewp21
hi , you still got the shifter? still need one. managed to get it on stands yesterday and gave it a good looking over, definatly is that cast aluminum part thats snapped in half. take $20 plus $5 to ship?

one other thing, the linkage has plastic or hard rubber grommets that look like there attached to the links ball studs? am i looking at this correctly? ive seen 2 repair manuals that show absolutely jack about this linkage to the transfer case.
was wondering how or what is the best way to dissasemble the linkage..... mainly just need to get the link off the broken shifter part. it doesnt seem to respond to prying. and being unsure i didnt want to force the issue.

thanks. Andy
When I did my tranny swap I just pried the nylon clip off over the ball. It wasn't easy, but as far as I could see there wasn't any other way.

Sent you an email about the shifter....

Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
drewp21
New User
When I did my tranny swap I just pried the nylon clip off over the ball. It wasn't easy, but as far as I could see there wasn't any other way.

Sent you an email about the shifter....
thanks for the info, i figured that was the way to get them off and it definatly isnt easy. i may try a heat gun on the nylon to soften them up a bit maybe that will help.
cant reply to your email thru this forum yet due to my new membership, rules and all. sounds like a deal though for the shifter. i could paypal it to you. send me a regular email to andrew-olson@sbcglobal.net and we can get er done.

thanks , Andy

Old 03-29-2008, 06:21 PM
drewp21
New User
bump still need a shifter.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 AM
drewp21
New User
i finally got around to making one. using a piece of 3/4" pipe to be the pivot i welded a length of 3/4" x 1/8 too one side and cut off the link pin from the original and welded it to the end of that. i used some square tube angled off the side of the pipe piece with another bit of square tube at the end of that to slip in the shift lever, i used the stock part as a rough alignment for fitting this together. i greased it up and installed it and it works great. the only thing i dont have with this is the detent pin and it doesnt need to be pushed down. but i dont use nuetral in the transfer case anyway as i dont have any pto running off it. the transfer case has positive indexed or detented positions that hold the shifter in place just fine. now i have a welded steel unit thats ready for some work.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
stevilknevil
Senior User
would on from an'87 work?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 PM
drewp21
New User
i dont know if it would work on a 93. im happy with my homebrewed one though.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by David85
I must say, I am a little confused by this. I have a transfer case in my truck and all the shift components are what appear to be stamped steel or cast iron, no pot metal. The donor truck was a 1991 F350, an I the only one that has the steel parts?

Anyhoo, I also had trouble with mine, one of the wimpy bolts that hold on the lever to the pivot shaped when I tried to loosen it. I'll probably opt to try and wield it solid to the shift lever. With a little imagination, you may be able to find a steel pipe with an ID to match the size of the pivot bolt, and just wield up a replacement thats completely steel.
I've seen 4 88's, all steel on them.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,211 Posts
7 year old thread.
and the piece that breaks is pot metal, not steel.