1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bread Truck 53

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 AM
akissz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bread Truck 53

Does anybody here know anybody who owns truck like mine? It can be seen at: www.purple53.com
I'm trying to find replacement door seals and I'm not having any luck so I'd like to find another owner. My truck had 9 hinged doors, 7 on te back side. The seals need to be replaced. I'd be willing to PAY someone money if they help me locate replacement door seals.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
You need to think outside the box, (pun intended) . I would not look for door seal per se for the bread box, but rather a profile as in an extruded rubber seal that is made and sold by the foot for many applications. Many of the OEM's buy this way and then glue to their own manufactured door,windows,vents,drawer openings and tool boxes,utility bed doors and hundreds of other uses. The profiles are made in many common shapes and sizes in a few different durometer ratings (hardness ) the most common and usable being 60-70 D on a shore a scale. The duro is "before extruding" into a sponge shape. The end product is normally measured as "rate of compression" so some have more give than others. Most will make it around the corners and then you can join at the lower edge of the door or opening. I would start with getting some shape ideas first and then request samples of product from the manufacturer. There are many extruders of the sponge form of this and cater to different markets. I would start with www.steelerubber.com they have online samples and the streetrodders go there first. If this words out you can send the bread (finders fee) to Jon, King of worthless trivia and knowledge. Just joking, but I hope this helps you. Steele sells the lower quantities but there are many other that I have sold for in the past Greene Rubber is a good one, but keep in mind that I was buying in thousand foot rolls to resell to the Aerospace and Industrial trades. However try this link for a handful of choices http://www.extrudedrubber.com/ , maybe there is one closer to you or has something Steele does not.
Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 09-30-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:40 PM
akissz
Junior User
Hahahaha
Do you have any better ideas?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by akissz
Hahahaha
I guess I don't know what you expect from us? Do you think one of us has some secret source of weatherstripping that manufactures hundreds of low-volume vintage bread truck profiles? CIAF is exactly right, there are probably hundreds of profiles that will work, we've pointed them out to you, you already had the names of several others, what more is there to it?? There is no Acme Bread Truck Weatherstripping Company that stocks 60-yr-old patterns.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:24 PM
55paneltrk.
Junior User

Talking

Hahahaha
Maybe if you strap on a purse and put on a pair of those dandy red shoes, then click your heels together 3 times, all your dreams will come true.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the answers so far don't work for you, try this website: www.figureitoutyourowndamnself.com

Old 09-30-2007, 06:08 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 55paneltrk.
Maybe if you strap on a purse and put on a pair of those dandy red shoes, then click your heels together 3 times, all your dreams will come true.
If you have been to his web site you will see that your remarks are right on the money.

seems like just another kook trying to solicit money.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:10 PM
akissz
Junior User
there isn't a flat area to apply glue onto. the door has a groove running the full legnth around. where do I apply the glue?

Last edited by akissz; 09-30-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-30-2007, 07:11 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
First, there is a lot of joking around on this board but everyone is more than happy to offer help. There a lot of helpful and knowledgable people here. A lot of the members have trucks that need parts that you just can't pick off the shelf at the local parts store and over the years we have found parts not necessarily intended for use on our trucks but work for us. Some of these ideas seem really off the wall but really work. The advice that CIAF supplied was sincere and helpful. All the guys here are willing to help all new comers, no matter how many times the same questions are asked. Please show some respect by not being a smart a** in one of your first posts.

As for the grove in the door, maybe it's a big enough grove that the rubber would sit inside of it. Why can't you apply the glue to the inside of the grove and the inside side of the rubber and push it in, holding it with masking tape until the glue is fully cured. The best thing you can do, if possible, is go to a local car swapmeet. There are usually a dealer that sells a variety of rubber door seals. Make a drawing of the grove in the door, take it along and match it up.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 PM
akissz
Junior User
hey I just found this site and think it might work:
http://www.reeseusa.com/item/86AV

Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess that website works after all!!! Congratulations.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
there isn't a flat area to apply glue onto. the door has a groove running the full length around. where do I apply the glue?
I know that as I have worked with these before. Some of the manufactures have a product just for that but perhaps not shown on the website. If I knew that you needed it by tonight, I would have done a better job of researching it for you. Most marine windows have the very same attachment groove that allows frequent seal change without the need for glue. Same rule applies the the big brown trucks ,no glue, just a groove for the tongue of the seal. And yes , it is referred to as the tongue by the manufacturers. When UPS gets in a pinch, they stock a flat "ribbon" style of an 80 duro to put into the groove and then a 50-60 duro to glue onto the ribbon so that ther groove stays free of glue to avoid cleaning when the regular stock come in. But then that would take a little imagination I suppose. Again, I hope the info helps you and are not subjected to any mental anguish from the amount of time consuming information provided to you as a courtesy of the fine guys on the best site. Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 09-30-2007 at 08:25 PM.