Sponsored by: DP Tuner

VSS Sensor(FIXS ALOT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:28 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking VSS Sensor(FIXS ALOT)

So from my bad day i ordered a VSS sensor from Napa the price locally was 9.89$. I had to wait to get it since when they actually looked up VSS at napa and autozoo they kept showing me some really messed up part that was 26$. I got it the mourning and just said here goes another disaster.

I pick up the part, come home and install it, im not out of my driveway and i was happy. The speedo worked! So i said hmm, lets make sure the cruise controls works, so i had to get out to the concrete.

First thing i noticed when i took off on cement was the shifting was different, before i thought it was in tuning but it used to shift really awkward in the chip settings but in stock it was fine. What it use to do was when i would take off it would shift and jerk a little bit, like almost a bounce, and sometimes it seemed like it would get confused(when i would take off with my foot to the floor and let up at 25) and not know what to do so it would lock up the convertor at like 25 and shift to 3rd then it would unlock and go to 2nd like it should have been. Today i could NOT get it to that once, and i know how to make it do it. It shifted perfect everytime. When i would put my foot to floor, it knew what gear it needed to go into.

Now to the cruise control part, that has been fixed now(After 6 months of problems). Before it would NOT hold a speed unless i was going 75+mph. Now if i set cruise at 45, it STAYS at 45! Before down the freeway if i set cruise at 70, it would go between 68-72, never stay at dead 70 and while it was doing it, the PCM seemed to tell it to give it full fuel to do it. My boost pressure on flat land before were between 1-10 since it would not hold the speed, the cruise would stay on, but it didnt hold one speed. Now it sits at 3lbs(i looked retarted down the freeway since my face was about 2 inchs from the gauge to make sure it wasnt a fluke). Another thing that the cruise controls now works normally with is going up a hill. Before if i was going up a hill and the truck was dropping speed, immediatly it would downshift and give er all she had to get back there then immediatly upshift and drop speed again, immediatly downshift and do the same thing over and over again, now if it can't hold its speed it will downshift and sit in that gear until im back to the top of the hill then upshift and stay.

So i get back down my dirt road and said ya know what my speedo never ever would say what the rear tires were slipping on ice( i made an old post about this), if i was to take off on ice where the rear tires slipped and i kept my foot to the floor to prevent the tires from getting traction, the speedo would always read zero and the OD light would go on(VSS sensor code). So i stop hold my foot on the brake and just start digging holes and the speedo just climbed. I saw that and !

These problems have been harnessing themselves for a LONG time, but the speedo would never go out and stay out so i figured it was just because im running the 36's and the PCM is getting confused because of the speedo being off, but after i installed the accuspeed it didnt do it for a long time thinking i fixed it. but then it came back. But after i replaced my front wheel bearing to a non-abs wheel bearing, i have no front ABS sensors the speedo went completly out. My thougts on this is that when the rear VSS has a flaky signal, the pcm uses the ABS sensor for some sort of speed. When i changed them, the VSS still was flaky signal but no backups to prove it so no speedo. I just can't belive all the problems I had over a 10 dollar sensor, but im so happy its fixed now that i can't be pissed it was a 10$ sensor. Im going out to cruise tonight since alot of my problems are now fixed. Now to figure out the steering wheel shimmy......

Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Goos to hear John, the ABS takes input from all three sensors and then sends the signal to the PCM for Speedo operation

Old 06-09-2007, 08:31 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is cool. Gotta love a $10 fix for abig headache.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:33 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have listened to your guys since alot of you said to replace the VSS sensor, but my theory was the speedo still works thus the sensor is still good.

Does anyone know if that VSS is not sending a clean signal, if it will go off the ABS inputs? Because now i have no abs sensors except for the rear(vss) sensor and its working perfectly whereas before i was getting all those problems, but the speedo still worked, but i had 2 front abs sensor wheel bearings.