Oil & Lubrication  

Rislone

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:41 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Question Rislone

What does everyone think of Rislone? I have seen some of the products on Two Guys Garage. I also have heard from a few people that it is good stuff. Has anyone had any experience with it. I have had good results with bars engine coolant and oil stop leak products before. Anyway, I guess my question is are there really any befefits to using this stuff?

http://www.barsproducts.com/

Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used RISLONE in the past, and I like it. I have no complaints at all.

I do not use it now, in my own vehicles, namely because my engines are all clean, and have the oil and oil filter changed on precise OCI's.

In a lawnmower, or an engine that is somewhat dirty, I would not hesitate to run the correct amount of Rislone in it.

Also, you can soak rusted bolts, brackets, ect. anything you need to remove - soak them overnight in Rislone. 9 out of 10 times, the parts get loose, and whatever you need removed - is.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rislone, What I know is when I was a kid 13 years old I worked in a gas station pumping gas. There was a parts salesman that use to sell the station owner parts. The owner use to service this salesman's car. He drove Buick wagons this was in the early 60s. He always used RISLONE every oil change. He use to drive his cars up to 300,000 miles without any major overhaul issues. Was it because of RISLONE? I have no idea. But I do remember that getting 300,000 miles out of a Buick in the 60s was pretty outstanding. He used it from the time he bought the car new.
I started using RESTORE in my older trucks. A friend of mine who owns several older cars & trucks turned me on to it. I added a can to the wife's D250 with a 360 4bbl 4sp. I have noticed a slight increase in power, it uses a little less oil than before. So if you are driving older stuff you may want to try RESTORE.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I have used Rislone many times on various vehicles with outstanding results and no problems.

Barr's stop leak is also a very good product. It will stop those annoying 4.0L V-6 head gasket leak problems that sip coolant at a slow rate. I used 1/2 container every year in all 3 of my 4.0L V-6's with no problems, -all three showed the weeping head gasket problem before I used Barrs.

I have never used Restore.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Red face Rislone Works, Kermmy!

Originally Posted by kermmydog
Rislone, What I know is when I was a kid 13 years old I worked in a gas station pumping gas. There was a parts salesman that use to sell the station owner parts. The owner use to service this salesman's car. He drove Buick wagons this was in the early 60s. He always used RISLONE every oil change. He use to drive his cars up to 300,000 miles without any major overhaul issues. Was it because of RISLONE? I have no idea. But I do remember that getting 300,000 miles out of a Buick in the 60s was pretty outstanding. He used it from the time he bought the car new.
I started using RESTORE in my older trucks. A friend of mine who owns several older cars & trucks turned me on to it. I added a can to the wife's D250 with a 360 4bbl 4sp. I have noticed a slight increase in power, it uses a little less oil than before. So if you are driving older stuff you may want to try RESTORE.
----------------------------------------
I agree, that was a very interesting experience Kermmy. The modern day RISLONE also has an up to date additive package, so it's simply not a "flush" like some products are.

Much safer using Rislone in an older engine, than say a kerosene based oil flush. The later can do more harm than good.

RISLONE, mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil, added to a spray bottle, makes an excellent upper cylinder lube when storing vehicles in the winter. (Snowbelt areas of the USA)

Specifically carb vehicles. Simply, a few quick mist sprays of the Rislone / MMO into the carb. Shut off engine, then store for the winter.

Full tank of gas. Some Stabil in the gas. Disconnect negative battery cable.

Springtime, engine fires and runs beautifully. Other tips:
Unload suspension. You simply take full weight of the vehicle off of the tires, if you are storing the car with your regular good tires and wheels.

Store automatic trans cars in neutral, manual shift vehicles in neutral.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
From a Rislone VOA, it appears to be nothing more than an overpriced, died blue, 20wt, with a very weak add pack.

Read this VOA & come to your own conclusions.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...=14#Post470973

Imo, it would seem we could likely do better, with a qt. of our favorite, fully formulated, motor oil.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Rislone has a lot of solvent of some type in it which a viscosity test will not show. It seems to work well on gummed up lifters and other things.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
paw paw, yes it's a 20wt oil, but you must remember what RISLONE is used for.

That is the reason nobody says to use 5 quarts of RISLONE in an oil change. You're simply using it to free up lifters, valve springs, ect. in a safer way, than using a straight engine flush, ect. The other oil mixes with Rislone - for safe engine useage.

RISLONE clearly does the job it says it will do, IMHO. For the price it sells for, it's easily worth the price. Not like it's $19.95 a quart or something like that.

Ed

Old 05-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Wink

Originally Posted by pawpaw
From a Rislone VOA, it appears to be nothing more than an overpriced, died blue, 20wt, with a very weak add pack.

Read this VOA & come to your own conclusions.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...=14#Post470973

Imo, it would seem we could likely do better, with a qt. of our favorite, fully formulated, motor oil.
------------------------------------------
That is a great thread on BITOG, paw paw. The poster, UnDummy (what a login name) more of less says what I am saying. I see his points, clearly.

I also agree with him in that if both RISLONE and Auto Rx work, which is the better bargain? $4 Vs $25?

That is also what I was saying too. Nobody uses 5 quarts of straight Auto Rx instead of motor oil. Motor oil has very usefull properties that all engines must have.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:56 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well lets think about this some more.

If we replace a qt of engine oil, with a qt of something else, without a good addpack, we've just diluted our add pack barrier lubes, ect, by 20-25%, assuming a 5, or 4 qt sump.

If the additive is solvent based, or depends in large part on solvent action to do it's job, to clean things up, that means it goes after the oil on parts, tostrip it off!!!!!

If it doesn't have any, or a weak add pack, with little or no barrier lube, then we've diluted that aspect too, by replacing a qt of fully formulated motor oil, with our chosen cleaner-upper additive.

Don't know about you, but seeing as how an engine needs to be properly lubed, while we're trying to tidey it up inside, I'd sure think twice about wanting to run my engine for 3-4K with a diluted engine oil & add pack.

What I was suggesting was, it would seem, from the VOA on Risoline, one could get the same detergent benifits, by using a good fully formulated motor oil, that was at the same time providing a full add pack, without diluting our barrier lubes, or having solvents to strip away the lubricating oil film, safely do the same job for less money.

If we want to clean up a dirty engine, I assume we'd like to do it as safely & with as few collateral negatives for the engine as possible & this would include excessive metal wear & stopping up the oil filter, pump pickup screen, oil galleries, or getting after seals, gaskets, composet & metal parts.

So it just seems to me it's likely less costly & safer, to just use a good quality, fully formulated motor oil, to slowly & with less risk, get the same results!!!!!

Just some additional thoughts.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:01 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used that stuff in my 460 for 3 oil changes nearly 10000 mi and I honestly did not
see or hear a differance.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Baja FX4
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a while back,when I was younger my wife drove a 1987 mercury sable(only car we could afford) the car had like 130,000 miles and had started making a constant lifter noise.
We drove it like that for like 6 months and one day,when I was gonna change the oil,I bought some 10W30 and Rislone for it.
Changed the oil and within 2 days I noticed the noise was gone.
It never came back,sold the car with like 170,000 and while other things were making noise,the lifters were not.

I was so impressed,that Ive used Rislone regularly(not every oil change) maybe once a year in all my vehicles.