Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Strippin' Smog

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strippin' Smog

It is unfortunate that places like California require 'smog', but that was the case when I got my truck...Being the gentleman I am, I want to undo those improper acts...I could use some help.

I could yank the smog pump and canister, but not sure what all them vacuum lines dines do...I reckon I could just yank and plug, but would that be legal here in WA?...Give me some help!!!

Thanks,

Placer

Old 02-18-2008, 01:54 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru
technicaly legaly no it would not be legal

that said it depends where you live as to wether or not you have emissions testing as to what you do to your truck. But remember laws can change at any time and you may have to put it all back on eventually.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
He's right...they can always change the smog regs in any county to conform more to California emissions. So, you always run the risk of having to reinstall everything if your truck is so equipped.

On the same line of thinking, I've heard various remarks regarding the cut-off for smog testing on vehicles here in Washington, and am curious what the actual scoop is.

On one hand, I've heard that it's anything 25 years or older is exempt, but on the other, I've heard anything pre-1980 is exempt. I have also heard that only vehicles that have no emissions equipment on them whatsoever are exempt. I'm just curious what the limits are statewide, as opposed to county by county.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Federally its not legal, but when was the last time a fed looked under your hood

You can pull just about everything and block the vacumm lines i beleive. I had a thread about this in the 1987-96 section a while ago i will go try to dig up for ya

Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, just yank and plug. You don't go through emissions over there. Just remember, it's your truck.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
godblessmud...hit the books and do a little homework before answering test questions. Our legal system is designed that state law (state and counties) can be equal to, or stricter than federal law. Likewise, municipal law (cities) can be equal to, or stricter than state law. Thus the conclusion, based on the aforementioned premises...is if it is illegal federally than it is illegal in state and municipal.

Washington State is adopting the California vehicle emission standards beginning the the 2009 vehicle model year. Vehicle model years before 2009 are not included in the California standard.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok, I think I might have found my own answer...I've been reading a number of articles, and it seems that there are a couple of magic numbers that apply to whether or not a vehicle is exempt from emissions testing in this state.

The first of these, which is most relevant to me, is 25. According to most references that I've found, if a vehicle is over 25 years of age, it is generally exempt from emissions testing. The stated basis of this policy is that vehicles that exceed this age are generally referred to as "classic", and pose a greater difficulty in bringing them on par with newer vehicles, with regard to cost. As such, and I'm sure to also improve the appearance of the statistics, states like Washington have chosen a general age cutoff with regard to emissions testing.

The other number is apparently around 5. According to some of the articles I've read, vehicles under the age of 5 already come equipped with emissions equipment that meet or exceed the standards that are currently being tested. As such, new vehicles are potentially exempt from testing due to this little caveat. It does, however, pose the question...Will they eventually have to be tested when they get a little older? My guess is, 'you betcha', but then if they make it to the aforementioned 25 year mark, maybe that subsides.

It seems emissions testing is pointed at middle aged cars...what an odd concept. So, if your vehicle is between the ages of 5 and 25, it appears that whatever smog equipment that came on the vehicle should be maintained...or at least kept in the closet, should the county you live in adopt emissions testing protocols.

In my particular case, Thurston County hasn't decided to go that route just yet, I don't think. So, my 79 is safe regardless, my 88 is marginally safe due to location, but not equipment, and the same goes for my 97. As for my 2005 work vehicle...I don't care, I don't own it.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:23 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
You guys have to take away all the fun. Yes, Behemoth it is 5 and 25. Just took my truck through emissions for the first time last year. Passed with no problem of course.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
When I bought my truck new in '99 (lived in CA then) I paid a $35 or so fee up front and then I didn't have to smog it for 4 years. I have since removed some performance killing components (after moving to NV) but now have a chronic 'check engine' light, might have to tape over it like the clock on the vcr.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
...I have an '83 and been waiting for the 25 year mark to pass get away from the bad breath testing. I did not license the vehicle for over a year and have kept it garaged tinkering on it...and no, I don't mean tinkling, though our little dog does.

Since the expiration falls in January, I waited until this month to see if I could renew the tabs on-line. Still indicates that I need the breath test with the exclaimer that if it is an exempt vehicle then will need to go into the dol office in person. Geez.

I would not think that I owe them a breath test since I skipped the last one. Worse case is to fail the test, spend $150 on the ride at the mechanic and get a waiver. After that there should be no question about the 25 year mark passing. Will keep ya posted on this one.

Lost is right about the 5 and 25. The whole idea about the first 5 is that the vehicle is still somewhat new and should pass the emission test. Behemoth is right about targeting the middle aged vehicles. Once a vehicle is pass 25 years old both the dol and dept of ecology figure that many of those vehicles could not pass emissions even if they wanted to...and vehicles that old are thrown away and are a small percentage of the vehicles on the road to worry about.

Lost....always have good beer, brew my own. Work? What is the definition of civil servant?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by racerchick21
When I bought my truck new in '99 (lived in CA then) I paid a $35 or so fee up front and then I didn't have to smog it for 4 years. I have since removed some performance killing components (after moving to NV) but now have a chronic 'check engine' light, might have to tape over it like the clock on the vcr.
Look for a vacuum leak!... 1990 is the newest truck I have ever owned, and I don't know much about the crazy systems attached to the motor, but I did learn that a vacuum leak can annoy you with the lights they produce.

Heck...I got so po'd when my truck would not pass CA emissions, that I ended up paying about $7000 to have a new motor put in the thing...I probably have one of very few 1990 F-150's with less than 50,000 miles on the engine.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Be careful- there is legislation in your favorite city to adopt CA emissions here. There excuse is that OR did it, so we should just follow suit.
Also be careful about just yanking and plugging. I don't remember what year your truck is, but if it has a computer controlled carb, it's almost as expensive to de-emissions it than to replace everything with new, although you would only have to do the swap once.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Well, So far My trucks do not have to take the "breathalizer" here in Arlington. I knew I loved living in the sticks for some reason.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Placermike
Look for a vacuum leak!... 1990 is the newest truck I have ever owned, and I don't know much about the crazy systems attached to the motor, but I did learn that a vacuum leak can annoy you with the lights they produce.

Heck...I got so po'd when my truck would not pass CA emissions, that I ended up paying about $7000 to have a new motor put in the thing...I probably have one of very few 1990 F-150's with less than 50,000 miles on the engine.
I know I have a few of those (that's another thread), but the code is telling me that the -ahem-'extra' parts I removed are malfunctioning. So if you do that be aware.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
brentleedragon
Elder User
depends on the county you live in really. I dont have smog test at all for any of my cars. just depends where you live if it is "legal" or not

Quick Reply: Strippin' Smog