Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector Identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Injector Identification

How do I determine what injectors I have? Many of the parts suppliers list 1999-2002 as the same, yet I hear their are AA, AB, AD, AE, etc. I know that the #8 is supposed to be an AE, but what about the other 7? I have a 2003 7.3. Most of the parts suppliers list a Ford part number that doesn't match the numbers I see others use. For example, 1 injector listed on Ebay as the #8 long lead was #AE1833629C1. That # doesn't correspond to the others, which are Ford typical "F" numbers.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 AM
blown99
Senior User
The others should be an AD. These are not part #'s. They are injector body codes. I can get you the international part # for any of the injectors if needed. Can't help you with the ford #'s

Old 04-20-2006, 08:09 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Wow, thanks for the FAST response. Do you know if all of the modern (99.5-2003) 7.3's take the same injectors?

Old 04-20-2006, 08:14 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, they all run AD injectors. After 2002 they put an AE in the #8 hole, and some earlier trucks who were diagnosed as having fuel "cackle" might have an AE installed in the #8.

http://www.dipaco.com/update/catalogs/PWSHEUIV1.2.pdf

The chart on page four explaines what injectors went in when.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by clux
Yes, they all run AD injectors. After 2002 they put an AE in the #8 hole, and some earlier trucks who were diagnosed as having fuel "cackle" might have an AE installed in the #8.

http://www.dipaco.com/update/catalogs/PWSHEUIV1.2.pdf

The chart on page four explaines what injectors went in when.
I have been wondering about that #8. I have done all the fuel system mods, including the externally regulated fuel return. My engine noise seemed to get louder after all the mods. I know the air is out and had the injectors tested. Would the #8 be an AE long lead injector in an 03 Excursion? If so, wouldn't I want to swap that out for an AD injector after doing the fuel system mods?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by hink10
I have been wondering about that #8. I have done all the fuel system mods, including the externally regulated fuel return. My engine noise seemed to get louder after all the mods. I know the air is out and had the injectors tested. Would the #8 be an AE long lead injector in an 03 Excursion? If so, wouldn't I want to swap that out for an AD injector after doing the fuel system mods?
It does make me question what the longer lead will do. Should we do the same mod for our 01s?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hink10
Yes, you should have a AE in your #8 cylinder. If you ever have the valve covers off, the AE's have LL stamped on the top of them. ITP claims that the AE injector with a regulated return system may cause injector knock on the #8 cylinder, and they reccomend you replace it with an AD if you have knock.

Originally Posted by aklim
It does make me question what the longer lead will do. Should we do the same mod for our 01s?
The AE injectors give a larger pilot fuel shot, ITP reccomends that you run the AE injector with their regulated return kit unless you have injector knock. I don't think your 01 should have an AE unless the dealer installed one for cackle. If you can get an OAISIS report on your pickup from a dealer you should be able to find out.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:43 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by clux
Yes, you should have a AE in your #8 cylinder. If you ever have the valve covers off, the AE's have LL stamped on the top of them. ITP claims that the AE injector with a regulated return system may cause injector knock on the #8 cylinder, and they reccomend you replace it with an AD if you have knock.

The AE injectors give a larger pilot fuel shot, ITP reccomends that you run the AE injector with their regulated return kit unless you have injector knock. I don't think your 01 should have an AE unless the dealer installed one for cackle. If you can get an OAISIS report on your pickup from a dealer you should be able to find out.
Thanks for the info, that would explain a lot! Does anyone know where I can get an oem Alliant injector for a reasonable price? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:38 AM
titostakitos
New User
Injector Identification

How do i know if i have stage One Two Or stock in a ford 7.3L i Purchased? I have the injectors out i just dont know what they are...

Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by titostakitos
How do i know if i have stage One Two Or stock in a ford 7.3L i Purchased? I have the injectors out i just dont know what they are...
Do you know who the tuning is from or what tunes are being used if they were in the truck prior to being pulled out?

Some builders etch what the injector is on the body, but most do not. Chances are you would need to send the to someone like Bitterroot Diesel or Rosewood to have them tested and identified.