1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Charging 86 150 van a/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 09:41 AM
Mike47
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charging 86 150 van a/c

Can someone tell me how much r-134 to charge my 150 van a/c? Has front and rear unit-302 engine. Can't find how much R-12 the unit used before, sticker missing on firewall. I know to use 85% of r-12 charge so even that would help.
Thanks
Mike mdurbin47(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 08-06-2001, 10:26 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Charging 86 150 van a/c

I guess you bought a conversion kit. You also need to buy a r-134 guage to fill it properly.

Old 08-06-2001, 04:00 PM
ringkong
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

look on the condenser for a sticker or something, thats were i found my capacity or maybe the compresser. From the top of my head my 88 f150 used 3lbs 2 oz of r12. So figure your 85% value, convert it to oz, and use that many cans of r134a. make sure system is empty and figure oil into your total oz's.

Here is how I did it.

1. I figured I had nothing to lose, since my ac did not work in the firs place!! this step is very importent

2. "Vacum" out the old R12 and oil. "Vacum" means that I vented the gas and oil out of the condeser fill valve (there was not much). ---"Here comes the EPA"-- i did this despite my guilt over the ozone hole.. I know I probably did not get everything out. Oh well.

3. Turned on Truck and set ac to max, put in the first two cans of r134a that came with my kit. I had cans upside down to make it liquid instead of gas. You can tell if it is taking it, the cans will get cold.

4. Put in the can of oil that came with it.

5. Put in 1/3 of remaining r134a.

6. Prayed

7. Checked cab for cold air. It worked

8. Told an experienced ac guy what I did and listen to him daily tell me that it should not work and stuff about moisture ,frozen orifices, and deadly space acid ( he is a family friend)

anyway I did this in May and it is still working and I use it constently. So what if next year My ac is not working, I bet it still will be, despite many warnings from experinced ac guys about "not vacuming out the old stuff And it mixing with the new stuff to make the dreaded "AC KILLING SUPER STRONG ACID" to eat the compresser from the inside out.That is what Junk Yards are for....

anyway I hope I helped

Old 08-06-2001, 07:04 PM
laredo7mm
New User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

On my 92 F150 with 302 EFI thereis a vertical black "can" which is on the pass side of the vehicle. It say something like climatseur on it. I do believe it has the sticker on it for the ac capacity. I think mine said 3 pounds 4 ounces. The dealer should be able to tell you too. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:47 AM
ringkong
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

On my 92 F150 with 302 EFI thereis a vertical black "can" which is on the pass side of the vehicle. It say something like climatseur on it. I do believe it has the sticker on it for the ac capacity. I think mine said 3 pounds 4 ounces. The dealer should be able to tell you too. Hope this helps.
That's the condenser i was talking about.

Old 08-14-2001, 12:45 AM
knuckles
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

That "vertical black can" is NOT a condensor!!

It's an accumulator OR a receiver-drier, depending on which system your particular truck uses. If you can't even IDENTIFY the parts of an A/C system, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS WORKING ON IT!!!

If you charge improperly you can:

a. damage an otherwise good compressor.

b. contaminate otherwise good (and increasingly rare) R-12.

c. Injure yourself due to a hose or can rupture.

d. Injure yourself due to a liquid refrigerant leak.

If you want to learn how to retrofit PROPERLY, get a decent retrofit manual such as the one offered by FJC, Inc. Read it thoroughly, then spend some time on the bulletin board at Aircondition.com. Then buy the tools necessary to do the job RIGHT. Only after you've done all these things should you consider tackling a/c repair.

http://www.fjcinc.com

http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/

Old 08-14-2001, 07:24 AM
dsc
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

You are 100% right. Using the kits will ruin your system or if you make a small mistake like putting the hose on the wrong port high pressure instead of low side you can be KILLED. Please go to Airconditioning.com as for help. Art

Old 08-14-2001, 07:44 PM
billyb
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charging 86 150 van a/c

I converted my 88f150 a year ago april. I used an interdynamics kit because I also figured what the heck it wasn't working well anyway.
I followed the instructions in the kit, and it has worked well since. this is the second summer with it, and i have put about 12,000 miles on the truck since.
I know all the doomsday guys will disagree. but it worked for me.

Old 08-16-2001, 03:37 PM
ringkong
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 16-Aug-01 AT 04:38 PM (EST)[/font][p]
You are 100% right. Using the kits will ruin your system or if you make a small mistake like putting the hose on the wrong port high pressure instead of low side you can be KILLED. Please go to Airconditioning.com as for help. Art
Why in the hell do you care if I kill myself ? Buy walking accross a street I could kill myself.... Condensor, acumalator, whatever. If he follows the instructions that come with the kit he will do fine. it tells him the difference between the high side and low side, I think an normal adult can tell the difference between a Big hose and a small hose, when comparing the two. You must be the "experts" I was talking about...If it was so hard,dangerous,and destructive to you ac system, I doubt you could by a kit for $35 bucks from the part store, with all the litigation scare around. SO CALM DOWN. The world will not end tommorow if some dude fixes his own ac in his truck.

besides, in my instructions i told him to pray!!!

Old 08-16-2001, 11:57 PM
knuckles
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 16-Aug-01 AT 04:38 PM (EST)[/font]

If he follows the instructions that come with the kit he will do fine.
WRONG! I suggest you visit the forum at http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/ and read all the sob stories from poor folks who followed the directions to the letter & still have no a/c. Many have ruined their compressors & other components as well.
If it was so hard,dangerous,and destructive to you ac system, I doubt you could by a kit for $35 bucks from the part store, with all the litigation scare around.
Wrong again. The directions on those kits are filled with disclaimers to limit the manufacturer's liability. READ the fine print!

The world will not end tommorow if some dude fixes his own ac in his truck.
No kidding! That's what we're trying to do....help him fix his truck, not booger it up with some 1/2 assed kit.

Old 08-17-2001, 07:04 AM
ringkong
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 17-Aug-01 AT 08:05 AM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 16-Aug-01 AT 04:38 PM (EST)[/font]

[QUOTE]If he follows the instructions that come with the kit he will do fine.

WRONG! I suggest you visit the forum at http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/ and read all the sob stories from poor folks who followed the directions to the letter & still have no a/c. Many have ruined their compressors & other components as well.
[QUOTE]If it was so hard,dangerous,and destructive to you ac system, I doubt you could by a kit for $35 bucks from the part store, with all the litigation scare around.

Wrong again. The directions on those kits are filled with disclaimers to limit the manufacturer's liability. READ the fine print!

The world will not end tommorow if some dude fixes his own ac in his truck.

No kidding! That's what we're trying to do....help him fix his truck, not booger it up with some 1/2 assed kit.

Man you got me... I can't argue with your sound logic. I wish I were an expert so i could post on this board...... I used a halfassed kit that has worked...boy what a big dumby i am.

Old 08-17-2001, 10:09 AM
ringkong
Senior User
Charging 86 150 van a/c

Ringkong's Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it was so hard,dangerous,and destructive to you ac system, I doubt you could by a kit for $35 bucks from the part store, with all the litigation scare around.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"experts" Quote:

One more thing, all the fine print in the world is not going to save a company from liabilty...you kill someone with a bad product that was used properly and that company is going to pay out the wahzoo (tabacoo anyone? man, that is one hell of fine print on the side of those cigarettes. it sure did not help phillip morris!!!), if you destroy enough ac's with a bad product that was used properly buy following the company supplied instructions, that company is in for one hell of a class action law suit (iomega anyone ?). This is why there is liabilty insurance. I guess you are a "expert" lawyer also. me i am just some guy who mistook the name of one ac part and was atacked by a "expert" who is threatend by a simple kit that is cheap and works. GO SELL YOU EXPERTNESS SOMEWHERE ELSE. I went over to the ac site, did not see that many horror stories but i saw alot of experts telling people to do expensive repairs and part change outs and alot of kit bashing. Hell i even saw a dude who was giving out expensive expert advice and in his signature on the post was a website that sells ac parts(i wonder if he is a part of that orginization). Anyway it does look like there are some honest people over there giving good advice i recomend it also just remember buyer beware.

smile and relax

Old 08-17-2001, 03:04 PM
rfw98
Freshman User
Charging 86 150 van a/c