2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got Gibson dual cat-back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:34 PM
MommysCrew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got Gibson dual cat-back exhaust

on the truck.
And the truck is a 5.4 screw.
Gibson calls it the Dual Sport Exhaust, its dual from thecat back and has two exhaust tips where the factory one is now. If you've seen some of the 2006 Lincoln Blackwood pics floating around, thats pretty much what it looks like.

Its loud enough for me but I can see where it may not be loud enough for some people. It has way louder idle, and all low speed acceleration is louder, but at 50 to 60 mph its quite. If you put your foot down you will hear alot. More power? It seemed like it did, but I had my foot in it more, so who knows.

It took my husband almost 3 hours to install. He says its pretty close to the spare. I guess if we smell burning rubber we'll know where its coming from.

I can't respond to emails, something about not having posted enough yet.

I hoping to do wheels and tires next, I've learned alot here about hubs and lugs and such.
Too bad they don't make Keystone Klassics in serious truck sizes. I would like a little retro.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:37 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you get us any sound clips?? I have always found them to be key to other people looking for exhaust systems (check out the link in my sig for examples of what I did).

Rich

Old 09-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Dunk
Elder User
This is the one i want to hear about...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/images/performance/gibson/supertruck.jpg

Old 09-14-2004, 10:28 PM
MommysCrew
Junior User
But what will the neighbors say about the
"Noise level is not compliant with 95-decibel standard" part.

I saw and heard a similar setup on a conversion screw over at the local dealership. The rectangular tips were out the back instead of the side.
It did sound very good, but it was very loud. I should have looked under it to see what it was.
The conversion was done by Regency or Legacy, I get the two confused.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:42 AM
steaks
New User
Thanks for the post,
I was thinking about dual exhaust on my 2004 supercrew as well. On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard were they to install? I know you said it took him 3 hours.
Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:21 PM
MommysCrew
Junior User
Well the next day he discovered he had the muffler on upside down, so he fixed it. I don't think he reads this forum so its okay I tell on him. Pretty much had to do it all over, kind of anyway, all had to be untightened, but it went much faster. Less than an hour I think. He said if he had to do another one it would be way faster, I guess there is a little learning curve there. Cutting that old pipe/muffler off took forever, he did it the old fashioned way, elbow grease.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by MommysCrew
Well the next day he discovered he had the muffler on upside down, so he fixed it. I don't think he reads this forum so its okay I tell on him. Pretty much had to do it all over, kind of anyway, all had to be untightened, but it went much faster. Less than an hour I think. He said if he had to do another one it would be way faster, I guess there is a little learning curve there. Cutting that old pipe/muffler off took forever, he did it the old fashioned way, elbow grease.
Okay, now I am confused. With a cat back there should be no cutting since they should be shipping the pipes from the cat back plus the new muff. What did he have to cut?? The advantage to buying the whole kit is that you can shelf the factory goods and either put them back on when you sell or offer to the next buyer who might not like the loud exhaust.

T

Old 09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
MommysCrew
Junior User
Husband said because it wasn't on a jack stand he couldn't get the clearance to get the old one off, so he cut it. But, I'm looking at the install guide and one of the suggested tools is a hacksaw. I don't see the words hack or cut in the instructions but I see "remove" alot. So I guess it depends on your situation and if you want to reuse or not.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:40 PM
steaks
New User
One more thing; as I look at the Gibson web site they show the dual exhaust coming out of one catalytic converter through to one muffler and then it y's out to a dual exhaust. As I look at my exhaust I have (what looks like) 2 catalytic converters already. Is there a company that sells true dual cat back exhaust kits, one pipe and one muffler for both sides or am I wrong in thinking that this is possible.
thanks again

Old 09-16-2004, 12:17 AM
newf150guy
Freshman User
Another application

I just installed a corsa cat back! It is awesome!

Old 09-16-2004, 01:57 PM
HawaiianStyle
Senior User
Originally Posted by steaks
One more thing; as I look at the Gibson web site they show the dual exhaust coming out of one catalytic converter through to one muffler and then it y's out to a dual exhaust. As I look at my exhaust I have (what looks like) 2 catalytic converters already. Is there a company that sells true dual cat back exhaust kits, one pipe and one muffler for both sides or am I wrong in thinking that this is possible.
thanks again
Steak, if you look good you will notice that there is 4 cats. 2 that come down from the exhaust manifold into 8" seperator pipe into 2 more then into the "Y". at that flange, if anything is touched from flange to the cat will void the warranty. this was explained to me by "Exhaust System Tech" also, he said going tru-dual will actually cause problems with the engine. my plans were to have them install headers into a seperate muffler for the tru-dual but he said it would cause decreased performance and mileage and increased wear and void the warranty and didn't reccommend doing so. He increased the flow by adding a larger pipe from the cat to the muffler. "SIDO" and that alone was all that was needed. I am Very Happy with the results! My2Cent