Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 06:05 AM
lowcountry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recall

has anybody heard what recall on the ford explorer just came out my friend in Nebraska took thier 96 in for maint and the ford dealer fixed a recall in the front end and i am trying to track down what it is and what years it covers.

thanks

Scott
LowCOuntry Swampers

Old 12-22-2000, 10:42 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
recall

Call your local Ford Dealer Service Dept & ask . I looked on Alldata & didnt see any recalls more recent than 1997 for the Explorers with either engine .

Old 12-25-2000, 11:30 AM
bakend
New User
recall

I did hear on the new the other night about a recall for the torsion bar bolt breaking. I didn't pay much attention but last weekend while installing new shocks on the wife's 95 I found that sure enough the bolt on the big fat bar up front has broken. I will be taking it in to the dealer next week to have it repaired and will reply back if it turns out to be a recall item. The broken bolt caused the Explorer to sway and ride mushier than ever so bad that I bought new Michelin tires and Bilstien shocks and complete alignment at Sears. Low quality technician didn't even notice the broken bolt and of course they didn't have the shocks in stock for the vehicle. The broken bolt was easy to see while changing the shocks though. Surely someone else on this list has had the same problem?
Dennis

Old 12-30-2000, 06:50 AM
ford4evr
New User
recall

There is a recall from Ford on a bolt that is located near the front tire and it could break causing a tire to puncture. I do not have all the facts as of yet, but the recall deals with Explorers and Rangers from what I understand. You could take your vehicle to the nearest Ford dealer to see if the recall effects you, or you can go to a site called the Recall Database Search, and search for any recalls on your vehicle/make/year.
The address for the site is www.nhts.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmyl.cfm
(at least that is what the link I have says LOL)
If you would like to e-mail me, I can send you the link. Might help! Good luck
Mark (Ford4evr)

Old 01-03-2001, 08:45 PM
nightri1
Freshman User
recall

The easiest way to find out if your Explorer is affected go to a dealer and give them the VIN. That's how I found out.

Old 01-07-2001, 09:26 PM
jeaniebear1
New User
recall

please e-mail me the site as I tried what you have written here and it's not working.
jeaniebear(No Email Addresses In Posts!)
Thanks

Old 01-08-2001, 04:31 PM
explored
New User
recall

Hey jeaniebear1 try this: (its the same place)
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/index.html

I was just there looking around for info on the suspension recall. At the same time found this site looking for people who know about the recall.

I just began having a problem with my front-left suspension over the weekend. It sounds gawd-awful when going over bumps (even small ones) and also when turning. I'm really hoping my problem is covered by the recall and the expense will be minimal.

I have also had a knocking sound coming from the right rear for some time now. It's not so bad and only happens over bumps. i was wondering if anyone has experienced this or know of a recall or TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about it.

Old 01-09-2001, 07:46 AM
bakend
New User
recall

I received the recall notice yesterday. Says they will replace the sway bar links at no charge. My problem is that I just replaced them myself. Only cost $15.00 at NAPA and took about 2 hours to install.I then took it back to Sears (they didn't notice it broken when they did alignment) and they claimed that I had violated the warranty. Never did like them! They did however finally realign it and it drives great now with new Michlins, Gabriels, and sway bar links.

Old 01-09-2001, 12:22 PM
explored
New User
recall

I finally received my official Ford recall letter.

I have an appointment with the dealer service bay tomorrow.

I'll let you good people know how it goes.

Ex

Old 01-09-2001, 08:53 PM
kingofthehill39
New User
recall

Just took my 96' explorer in and had sway bar links replaced.
Campaign Number 00S47

The reason I had contacted Ford was to complain about paint coming off the roof of the vehicle, and they notified me of the sway bar link recall.
If anyone else has had this problem, with paint coming off their 96' Explorer's , and received a remedy I would like to know about it. Thanks

Old 01-11-2001, 01:26 PM
explored
New User
recall

Right now my '96 Ford Explorer is at the dealer. I took it in for the recent suspension recall hoping it would solve a strange squeeking that recently developed.

The service tech just called and said "No such luck". He says "a couple" ball-joints need to be replaced at a cost of $430.

Please, someone tell me this is over-priced and could be done easily enough at my local non-dealer mechanic.

Help?

Old 01-12-2001, 12:30 PM
explored
New User
recall

Since my local mechanic quoted my repair $80 less than the dealer, I called the dealer and told him not to do this repair, (replacing lower ball-joints, both sides) which he claimed was the source of the loud squeaking I was hearing in the front left.

I picked up my Explorer after hours, (he left it out for me) and found absolutely no problems. No sueaking and it drove just great. (I assume they did a front-end alignment after performing the recall repair).

Still, I stopped at an AutoZone on my way home to get an idea of what it would take in cost of parts, tools, and intensity of labor if I were to replace the ball-joints myself. AutoZone's computer showed the part as NOT-AVAILABLE, meaning they couldn't even order the part for me. (Strange!?!) While there I checked in the Haynes do-it-yourself manual to get an idea of what it would take. The Haynes book simply says, "You can't just replace the ball-joints on a 1995-2000 Explorer, you must replace the entire suspension link assembly". (not quoted precisely)

So, now I'm left to wonder..."What was this guy thinking?? Was he hoping I'd okay the repair over the phone and he'd make money on an otherwise free repair??"

Anyway, I think I'll still take it to my local mechanic to get a second opinion.

Old 01-16-2001, 07:29 PM
nate16
New User
recall

explored,

it is posible to replace the lower ball joints on an exploer. i beleive you have to buy the ball joints at the dealer. if you want i can give you a part# and procedure. its about a 2 hour job with the right tools

nate

Old 01-17-2001, 10:05 AM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
recall

I believe the ball joints have nylon inserts and no lube access, so when they squeak or squeal they must be replaced.

Could be the dealer tech got some lube (wd40) inside the boot by a small puncture to determine if that was the problem. If so, the noise will return. I wouldn't be concerned about it until the noise returns.

I know of an F150 which had the same problem, and incidentally, I had a 1980 Thunderbird which had this problem, and I temporarliy solved it by the method above.

My 91 explorer has 171K and the ball joints are fine; not loose or noisy. The alignment is easy (I do it myself). I have good tire mileage, etc. Go figure.

Winford

Old 01-17-2001, 12:40 PM
thirdsuv
New User
recall