HELP!-Stock Audio -> BOOM / Step-by-Step

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 PM
talk2troy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!-Stock Audio -> BOOM / Step-by-Step

Hi guys!

I've got a 2003 F-350 SuperCab (extended-cab).
It's a Lariat w/ a single disk CD & Cassette.
I would like your advice for step-by-step audio mods.

**What should I do first - for economy - then performance?

Add a more powerful tuner / CD, then a sub(s), an amp(s) then replace door speakers?

One guy says I should get a good (multi-channel? = 4 speaker and a sub) AMP - first (and behave myself so I don't blow the stock speakers), then buy a sub that'll run off the amp, then get a multi-disk CD & Cassette w/ the steering wheel controls and then get new door speakers...

I'm so confused... so many kinds of amps, etc...

Please advise RE:
- order of installation
- brand(s) & model (#)'s
- links - if possible!

PS - remember I'm trying to start inexpensively for now and I want steering wheel controls (volume, tuning, CD track) eventually - and I thought a "self-contained" sub was a pretty cheap way to get some quick THUMP....

Last edited by talk2troy; 03-15-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 PM
talk2troy
Freshman User
Are self-powered KICKERS any good? Would this be a decent / cheap place to start for now - just to give me some thump?

I'm tempted to buy this Crutchfield factory looking console - but it's $230 for the BOX and only holds one 10" sub - and I don't know if the stock CD / radio will push it - and is one 10" enough?

Also - I have a "Graphite" interior... is the light or dark grey the right color? If you have one of these - please advise...

Sub-Console:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RSVwntK...=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Amps:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RSVwntK...&avf=Y&search=

Speakers & Subs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=01&c=10&vst=Y

---------------------------
I'm a carpenter so I can build a sub-box - no problem - I haven't measured anything yet, so i don't know if 10"s or 12"s will fit.

Would that be the best (cheapest) way to go?

I'm sure it's the way to get the best quality and power for the least money... unless an amp for the subs costs a lot... I could probably buy (2) 10" or 12" subs for the price of that console + the amp? Please advise!

Last edited by talk2troy; 03-15-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:16 PM
bill6302
Senior User
i would go with a good cd player then get a sub and amp then compnent sets run off an amp. for the cd player, pioneer makes good cd players that won't break the bank. for subs check out infinities, i know crutchfield has had a sale on them and they sound pretty good. as for an amp, i'd look at soundstorm. they make good amps for very reasonable prices. speakers, i've got 2 sets of power acoustiks that i run that i just love. they sound really great. hope this helps.
bill

Old 03-18-2004, 01:12 PM
talk2troy
Freshman User
Thanks Bill. Any pros/cons on the following plan?

I got some good input at another forum and did some reading!
SuperDuty / Truck owner opinions are still wanted though!

OK, remember - I'm doing this in steps...
I sat in the truck for a while and thought about it...
The truck will pull an RV next year - so audio books are important to me.
The stock radio / CD is OK & I can reach the controls easy enough.
It's is not my primary driver now, but it will be when I get the trailer.

1st - AMP - As long as I control myself with the tunes, my buddy says the stock speakers will last 6 months w/ a new AMP (he's got a $3k system and a big fat thumb on the ****) so I might get a year out of them...

I'll start w/ a [used] Pheonix Gold, Rockford Fosgate or Alpine amp (others were recommended too). I hear AMPS are like lift kits - never enough - so people are constantly ditching their "old" gear (like on ebay) for better parts!

2nd - FRONT SPEAKERS - I'll do [new] oversize round MB Quartz or Boston Acoustic FRONT door midrange speakers (cutting required) and some post mounted tweeters for vocal clarity. After I upgrade the fronts, I'll use fade to avoid blowing the rears - if I do - I'll just disconnect them for the time being.

I was told NEVER buy used speakers (ebay again) - unless they are sealed in the box or you get to hear them in person (from a friend). Makes perfect sense!

3rd - SUB - I'll probably go with that nice rear center console w/ the cupholders that hides a 10" sub - no one ever sits in back and the tunes are only about half of my ear-time so I think I want the sub before getting new rears.

4th - REAR SPEAKERS - oversize (cutting required) round MB Quartz or Boston Acoustic w/ seperate mids and tweats set in a mounting plate.

XxX # - Dynamat - I'll install as much Dynamat as I can - as I progress. Engine noise is minimal but wind noise rises with speed and I'll be running big *** tires eventually... I'll pull the seats and do the floor ASAP. I'll do the doors as I install the speakers - front - rear. Headliner eventually... the RV I want is a cab-over / 5th wheel.

**I'm looking for user experience with spray-on wheel well sound damping.

Last edited by talk2troy; 03-18-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
hhott71
Senior User
www.bought4less.com has sub boxes for extended cab pick ups.

Old 03-20-2004, 05:23 PM
luvdeftonz
Senior User
Sound Deadening = good. Deaden the floors, doors, door panels, interior panels...anything that can buzz or resonate.

Audio hardware, in the order I would go with:

HU first. It's where everything starts at. Don't skimp out here. Alpine, Pioneer, and Eclipse are the "big boys" here.

Components up front with an amp. For components, I would try them out before listening to a faceless recommendation on a forum. Your front stage is the far too important to take advice from someone who may like bright tweets, or hate laid back tweets, or like lackluster midbass...Brands to look at would be DLS, Dynaudio, Adire Audio, CDT, Focal, Eclipse, Diamond Audio, JL, and PG (Elite Ti). Great amps can be had from Arc Audio, PG, Zapco, Tru, JL, Cadence, and even Kicker.

Subwoofer...no secret here. JL, Elemental Designs, Adire Audio, Resonant Engineering, Image Dynamics, and Eclipse.

For the rear speakers, I'd just go with some decent coaxes by one of the component makers listed above. Eclipse and JL make particularly good coaxes....but don't take my word for it

Last edited by luvdeftonz; 03-20-2004 at 05:27 PM.