2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 F-150 Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Opahujo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F-150 Defroster

The defroster doesn't clear the windshield out to the area on the left, right and top of the windshield. When the temperature gets below about ten degrees (plus) around here, the defrosters will not clear those areas no matter how long I let the vehicle warm up. Not only that, after driving for several hours, it doesn't get any better.
The problem is made worse because the driver's-side windshield wiper only sweeps within about 4'' of the left edge. So when it snows, whatever gets pushed to that area doesn't melt and with the addition of the door post creates a fairly large blind spot. I have brought both problems to the attention of my dealer who contacted Ford, who in turn claims not to have heard about either the defroster or the windshield wiper problem. ( I posted the windshield wiper problem earlier in a separate thread in this forum, where it was confirmed by others.)
Are there other 2004 F-150 owners in the cold part of the U.S. who have experienced similar problems with the defroster?

Old 01-07-2004, 02:44 PM
bruuuuce
Junior User
It has been 1 to 28 degrees here this week and I have had no problem with the defroster. But I can see, now that you mentioned it, where the snow being pushed to the side would pose a problem.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Dr No
Senior User
Hi.I live in Chicago.It has been near 0 here and my Lariat defroster works ok.
The other problem with the wiper not clearing the left side.The dealer service dept. have advised that nothing can be done to correct it as the wiper arm is keyed in place.I have been informed that the key can be removed and then the arm can be adjusted up to bring the arm closer to the A pillar.I have not tried this repair.
You will need to ask dealer about defrost.could be something stuck or disconected.
Good luck

Mike

Old 01-07-2004, 03:31 PM
fanman2
Senior User
WIPER SOLUTION!!!!!!

Hi guys.......

I completely described how to remove the key from the hub of the driver's side wiper in a thread entitled "Windshield Wiper" on page 2 of this forum.

It is VERY EASY to do it; try it.....it makes a HUGE difference

Old 01-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Opahujo
New User
To Bruuuuce and Dr. No.
I forgot to mention that my truck sits outside all the time.
Also, the dealer checked the air flow and said it was OK. As nearly as I can tell, there just isn't enough warm air getting to the perimeter of the windshield.
We also have an older Lincoln Towncar. There is just no comparison between the the two vehicles as to how the defrosters clean the ice and snow off the windshields after warm-up.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:35 PM
bruuuuce
Junior User
My defroster has alot of air flow and I have not had any problems. I have not gotten any snow to speak of other than a flurry. My truck also sits outside all the time, We have had some hard frosts and it doesn't have any problems clearing it, Much better compared to my 94 f150.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Oneagle1
Senior User
Opahujo

When you run your defroster do you put in the defrost only postion (far right)? If you put it on the next position to the left (defrost and floor) you can select the recurculated mode with the switch under the audio controls and that uses only the air inside the cab versious pulling cold air from outside while trying to clear the windshield. Possibly by putting your sunvisors in the down position could help direct more air to the top of your windshield. Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Harrski
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck is also kept outside and from time to time I have trouble keeping the windshield clear. I was told that if you put your sun visors down it would keep the windshield clearer. I tried it one day and it actually works. I guess it keeps the heat from moving away from the windshield at the top and kind of recirculates it back down on the windshield

Old 02-09-2004, 05:40 PM
jcreality
Senior User
anyone with such challenges, have you tried running the defroster with the A/C on? For those who've never heard of it, it may sound crazy.....and perhaps it's automatic that the a/c is activated on defrost (cuz I know it is on newer Hondas anyway). But if it is not automatic, and you've not tried it.....turn on the A/C at the same time. You can still have hot air coming thru it, it's just drier air. The suggestion to recirculate is *usually* opposite of what you'd want to do. Yeah, the air gets warmer, and there tends to be more air-flow, but the air is commonly 'moister' than either the outside winter air, or air run thru the A/C.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:08 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
I've complained about this too. Mostly the exact same areas.

There is particularily a bad spot in the lower driver's side corner of the windshield. It just never unfogs/defrosts. Anything around 10-15 degrees and I have to wipe it with paper towels. Pathetic. I'm not even going to discuss the rear window fogging problem again. It will be the one reason I ever sell the truck.

IMO, part of the problem is that the engine never gets warm enough idling to defrost the windows. You can idle this truck all day in cold weather and she'll never heat up (my diesel warms up 10 times better). And then when you drive, the windows just can't keep warm.

And yes, snow and ice is a problem in the driver's area that doesn't get wiped by the wipers. The only problem with re-keying the wiper swipe, is that it doesn't sit in the "rest" position properly.

As for the A/C mode helping defrost....It doesn't matter. Same outcome. Besides, the A/C automatically engages when in any defrost mode.

Love the ergonomics of this truck, but the functionality is way off. I'm not happy with defrost or night time lighting of the dash *****. ARE YOU LISTENING FORD?

Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 AM
fanman2
Senior User
Originally posted by CruelCrew
I've complained about this too. Mostly the exact same areas.

There is particularily a bad spot in the lower driver's side corner of the windshield. It just never unfogs/defrosts. Anything around 10-15 degrees and I have to wipe it with paper towels. Pathetic. I'm not even going to discuss the rear window fogging problem again. It will be the one reason I ever sell the truck.

IMO, part of the problem is that the engine never gets warm enough idling to defrost the windows. You can idle this truck all day in cold weather and she'll never heat up (my diesel warms up 10 times better). And then when you drive, the windows just can't keep warm.

And yes, snow and ice is a problem in the driver's area that doesn't get wiped by the wipers. The only problem with re-keying the wiper swipe, is that it doesn't sit in the "rest" position properly.

As for the A/C mode helping defrost....It doesn't matter. Same outcome. Besides, the A/C automatically engages when in any defrost mode.

Love the ergonomics of this truck, but the functionality is way off. I'm not happy with defrost or night time lighting of the dash *****. ARE YOU LISTENING FORD?
CruelCrew......

I have already removed the key from the hub of my driver's side wiper and adjusted it so it clears within 1/2 -3/4" of the left side of the windshield.....

And I have already posted a VERY SPECIFIC "how to" instructions regarding this subject in this forum.....

And I have first hand experience that AFTER removing the key and re-positioning the driver's side wiper, it parks ("rests") just fine.....right below the FORD logo in the center of the windshield.

So, BEFORE you say that the driver's side wiper doesn't sit properly in the "rest" position".....you might want to try it yourself!!!!

Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 AM
CruelCrew
Senior User
I have already removed the key from the hub of my driver's side wiper and adjusted it so it clears within 1/2 -3/4" of the left side of the windshield.....
I have no intention of removing the key from my wiper arm hub.

I live where ice and snow builds up on the windshield while driving. Because of this, stress on the little arm and hub is increased greatly. It is obvious that the arm could, and probably would, become stripped out under these normal stresses. Probably when you need it most. That key is there for a reason. It does help to keep the arm from stripping in the hub. Possibly a safety issue for some of us.

And I have already posted a VERY SPECIFIC "how to" instructions regarding this subject in this forum.....
We know you have. You've said it twice now. However, even using your "keyless" method, the wiper swipe is unable to both wipe and park properly.

Contrary to your remarks, I have attempted to reposition the wiper. I found that while you might get the wiper to park properly, it will not completely wipe the gap that blocks vision. Only the top part (tip) gets wiped. And while trying to get the wiper to completely wipe the area blocking the driver's vision, it will not park correctly. In other words, it seems impossible to get the best of both worlds...proper wipe and proper park. You probably would've noticed this if you lived where there is heavy snow, ice, and freezing rain.

So, BEFORE you say that the driver's side wiper doesn't sit properly in the "rest" position".....you might want to try it yourself!!!!
Actually, I think before people take your advice, and attempt to put their $30,000+ wiper arm in a vise and hammer out an essential part that keeps their wiper from suddenly failing on them, you may want to soften your attitude.

BTW, if your wiper arm does strip out (which I think it eventually will) don't plan on getting it fixed under warranty. Removing the key will void that. And those arms are expensive to replace.

Imagine doing 70 mph bumper-to-bumper down the interstate in a rain storm, and having your wiper quit....because you took someone's shadetree advice on the internet.

My advice, after trying fanman2's thing, is to leave it alone. That would be safer. Complain to Ford. Wait for a fix. If there ever is one.

Hundreds of thousands of us shouldn't have to put our wipers in a vise and hammer out parts.

Cheers fanman.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Opahujo
New User
To CruelCrew: Hi,

I agree with everything you have said about the wiper and defroster problems, and not removing the key if you live in a part of the country where there is heavy snow and ice in the winter (I live in Iowa). I see an even more serious problem with removing the key. That is if the grooves on the hub get stripped. Then replacing the wiper arm, which I'm sure they're not giving away either, won't fix the problem.
I have worked with tools all my life and have a well equipped shop, but I don't believe that I should have to dink around with a mechanical modification to a brand-new vehicle after paying 30+ grand for it. But what really bugs me is that a company that claims on its Web site "100 Years of Automotive achievement" can screw up something as fundamental as windshield wipers and defrosters. I have never owned or considered buying a foreign brand, but I have a gut feel that the wipers and defrosters on a Tundra work as they should.

If you have a postal address or e-mail address at Ford where I could send my comments, please feel free to share it with me.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Lariat, 4x2 Supercab, 5.4L, 3.55, Truxedo bed cover, Luverne brush guard and bed rails.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:45 PM
J. E. Ray
Senior User
Have not turned mine on yet. What's snow?