Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2003, 04:08 AM
New User

acoin is starting off with a positive reputation.
remote start on manual transmission

I am looking at installing a remote start/car alarm with keyless entry on my manual transmission '97 F150 ext cab. Any ideas on a good brand/setup? I plan on doing the job myself, i am just having a hard time finding a good setup for a manual transmission.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:24 AM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE!

I wouldn't do that unless you want to see your truck driven thru a wall etc somewhere. Just think of what happens if someone leaves it in gear and you hit that start...
Old 11-01-2003, 06:01 AM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah, there is a reason no one makes one. Unless you have a transmission that can tell its in gear (some do, but I don' think ford does) then its not really a good idea. That one time some one leaves it in gear.....

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 11-01-2003, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
I've installed Command Start and another brand that I cant think of on trucks with manual transmissions and on my wife's T-Bird SuperCoupe.
The T-Bird had a neutral switch on the transmission so that was easy. Besides being in neutral, the park brake also had to be on. The starter wont "overpower" a properly functioning park brake even if it did try to start in gear.

The one kit I installed on a truck had sensors that went on the shifter, under the boot. Unless it was in neutral the sensors didnt line up so it wouldn't start. The park brake also had to be on.

The Command Start kit I have in my truck has to be armed before it will work. By arming it you are aware that the remote start will work next time so you do it properly. It has to see the proper arming sequence or the remote starter wont work. With the engine running you set the park brake (the remote starter has to see the signal from the park brake switch) , press button #1 on the remote which keeps the engine running and turns on the park lights. Exit the truck. With the truck running you're not going to get out with it in gear....I sure hope. Once out you close the door and the remote starter sees the dome light go off. Press button #1 and then #2 on the remote. That shuts off the engine and arms the remote starter.
The sequence sounds like a bit of a nuisance but it really isnt a problem and it works well.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:20 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
command, f150, f250, ford, good, idea, installing, lack, manual, remote, standard, start, starter, trans, transmission, vehicle