Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2003, 05:26 AM
New User

StuartClark is starting off with a positive reputation.
Random panic alarm activation

The panic alarm feature on the remote entry has been randomly activating itself. The dealership seems unable to fix the problem despite replacing the door-open switch assembly, door-lock actuator and the "RAP" module and after reprogramming the remote.

I'm desperate for a solution, since this can occur anytime the keys are not in the ignition...even in the middle of the night. I'm hoping there's a fix, or that someone can advise on how to disable this function on the truck; I've eliminated the remotes as a contributor by leaving them at work (still goes off).

The truck is a 1998 Ford F-150 XLT (Triton V8). The remote entry is a factory system: small (1-1/2" x 1") black unit with three buttons: lock, unlock & panic (red). FCC ID: CWTWB1U212.

Any ideas?

PS I noted another poster in the Electrical Systems/Wiring forum (my original posting forum) was having the same problem.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If your vehicle is equipped with Remote Control Alarm and Lock System it could be several possibilities, from water getting into the door lock antitheft switches, ignition switch tamper sensor, door ajar switches or even the backup lamp circuit. I see no indication of it having a hood switch, but if it did that is the most common cause of alarm activation on Ford vehicles as the boot often gets torn off on it and it doesnt completely close when the hood is shut. I would investigate the possibility of water contaminated door lock switches.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 10-02-2003, 06:20 AM
New User

Response to random panic alarm

HomerWinzlow:
Thanks for the response. However, my truck does not have an alarm system; this is just the remotely activated power door locks; the horn honks when the Panic Alarm button is pressed. I will investigate the door lock switches.

It's also interesting to note that although this has been a somewhat intermittant (yet constant) problem for over a year now, the truck had a three-month "quiet period" during the Summer(???).

Thanks again, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cordially,
Stu
Old 10-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If it has no alarm it has no door lock switches. It may still have an ignition tamper switch however. That was deleted mid year 1999 as was the perimeter alarm option.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle

Last edited by HomerWinzlow; 10-02-2003 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:19 PM
New User

meratzloff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stuart, DId you get your problem solved? I cannot email you directly becasue I am a new user. I have a similar problem and just posted the issue (please see). I think my "ignition switch tamper sensor" is intermittant...
Old 11-23-2003, 08:58 PM
New User

Found this out tonght...I removed the lower steering access panel (black..3 screws) and the ignition cylinder (thanks to a earlier post providing me guidance - turn ignition to "run" and insert a small screw driver on the bottom of the cylinder and it comed out) and found a small sensor loose. Re-installed it (even though it was mildly damaged) and I think it worked. We'll see in a few days.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:33 AM
New User

Meratzloff:
I haven't solved the problem yet, but I've been following a sequence of lock-unlock-lock each time I leave the truck, and although I'm not sure how much coincidence is contributing, the random activation frequency has dropped significantly. Your suggestion (loose sensor) is worth a closer look. Let's keep each other appraised of our results, and thanks for your comments.

Cordially,
Stuart
Old 12-03-2003, 02:55 PM
New User

Problem solved...no random activation in 2 weeks...
Old 12-03-2003, 02:55 PM