Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Biggest screw up of all time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggest screw up of all time?

So. I'm going to let you guys in on a secret. Don't laugh. Please.

Couple weeks ago, I *started* a fluid change on the front diff. When it was time to seal it and refil it, it was about 20 degrees out. The RTV I was using said it needed to be above 32 degrees. So I thought to myself, "As long as it's not in 4WD I'm fine, right?" Just threw the cover on and drove about 300 miles with no fluid. Then my dad says, "Well just cuz the transfer case isn't turning the diff doesn't mean the wheels won't." I think I crapped a little. . . Then talked to some guys at work and they said if I had manual hubs then I should be fine, as long as they are disengaged. Well they are. So I was resting a little easier. Now my truck does not have the motor installed to switch the transfer case from 2wd to 4. But, I was replacing the U straps on the front shaft. And I noticed that when I had test driven it (rear brakes locked up) that the front shaft had moved. I crapped again. . . I think the transfer case is stuck in 4wd. Either that or it doesn't matter that the hubs are unlocked. Or the hubs are stuck. But when I put the cover on I think I forgot and left a paper towel in there to soak up the oil. And. It is all over the inside. So that's why I think the TC is stuck in 4wd. Cuz the paper towel got moved and ripped. I guess I gotta clean it with a hose and inspect the gears and see if anything is salvageable... Anyone know which way the little **** on the TC should be for 2wd?

On closer inspection. I found gear chippings. the ammount of stupidity I feel right now doesnt even fit on a scale. The things I am saying to myself. . . well lets just say I would never repeat them in the presence of a woman. . .

Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Looks like I could get out of this mess for less than 1k

1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Pickup Front Axle Assembly 3.73 ratio, 4 wheel ABS, 13mm thick hub flange (from 3/15/99) (OE Used) | $678.00, 434-01351D, B130555275I, Grand Rapids, Michigan (FREE Shipping)

Just found that within 5 minutes of searching. Not saying thats what Im going to get but just seeing whats available. . .

Local junk yard has one for $500

Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
I ran an engine with out an oil filter by accident and then rod knock followed soon after

You learn from mistakes.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
This is just a reminder to everyone out there. Even if you have manual hubs and they are in the "auto" or "unlock" position (counterclockwise), the spring that releases the engagement teeth inside does not always push the locking collar back. Sometimes tapping on the lock cap with the plastic end of a decent size screwdriver is all it takes to release them, but there are a ton of pickups running around that are in the unlocked position that still spin the axle shafts because they do not always release properly.

​​​​​​​

Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
If you left the truck in 2WD and your hubs were unlocked, the front axle may have casually turned over a few times due to hub drag, but that may not have damaged it substantially. A metal shaving may not be the end of the world and a stray paper towel never killed an axle.

If you don't see massive evidence of bearing or gear face trauma, I would reassemble, fill it with gear oil, lock the hubs and drive it 50 miles and see if it gets noisy. If it seems smooth and quiet, change the oil one more time and move on.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
If you left the truck in 2WD and your hubs were unlocked, the front axle may have casually turned over a few times due to hub drag, but that may not have damaged it substantially. A metal shaving may not be the end of the world and a stray paper towel never killed an axle.

If you don't see massive evidence of bearing or gear face trauma, I would reassemble, fill it with gear oil, lock the hubs and drive it 50 miles and see if it gets noisy. If it seems smooth and quiet, change the oil one more time and move on.
What he said for sure. You obviously don't you 4wd much and you may not need to do anything more than what Steve said.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:37 PM
johnsps250
Tuned
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
This is just a reminder to everyone out there. Even if you have manual hubs and they are in the "auto" or "unlock" position (counterclockwise), the spring that releases the engagement teeth inside does not always push the locking collar back. Sometimes tapping on the lock cap with the plastic end of a decent size screwdriver is all it takes to release them, but there are a ton of pickups running around that are in the unlocked position that still spin the axle shafts because they do not always release properly.

​​​​​​​
I found when they are locked (auto or manual) that backing up after switching out of 4wd or unlocking manual hubs also helps.
Once up to highway speeds you can usually tell if they didn't unlock. Sounds like a little extra road noise. Can also feel it in your feet.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
I ran an engine with out an oil filter by accident and then rod knock followed soon after

You learn from mistakes.
this is true but in aviation we say learn from others mistakes cause you won't live long enough to make all them yourself

Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
...If you don't see massive evidence of bearing or gear face trauma...
...reassemble, fill with gear oil,...drive it...If it seems smooth and quiet,...move on...
I agree with this.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I ain't confessing to what I've done.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I plead the Fifth........

Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I plead the 5th as well, but fully support the advice from SteveH-CO.

***** happens, live and learn...

Old 01-19-2017, 10:07 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drove about 30 miles on a freeway following a semi, thinking he had a trailer brake dragging because of the smell. Then after he turned off, I realized that somebody had left my parking brake slightly engaged. Those rear rotors were really hot! Yes, I did replace the shoes and rotors.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I got back on the interstate oncet after refueling somewhere in SD and travelled about 20 miles before thinking "This sure looks familiar.." Yep, just call me "wrong way"...

Old 01-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Oh hell - I am the master of airing my chones over the front fence... I've made enough mistakes to fill the whole brotherhood's quota.

I'm on the side of clean it, inspect it, fill it, and drive on. Do you have a space heater to aim at the front pumpkin? How about an aftermarket magnetic block heater?

Oh... and I'd service the locking hubs.

Quick Reply: Biggest screw up of all time?