Tweeter location???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Rainmaker1
Laughing Gas
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts
Tweeter location???

Hello gentleman...
I've recently fallen in love with my Excursion again and doing some upgrades, cosmetic enhancements. Used to have my tweeters in the A-pillers and I just don't like them there nor feel thats the best spot for them. The sail panels seem like the best location.
Short of molding in to my 2001 sail panels which is a lot of work, I understand some guys have used some from a 2008 Superduty.

Does anyone know for sure if the 2008 Superduty sail panels with tweeters will fit my 2001 Excursion?

If so, where can I get them at a decent price? I believe the part number are;
7C3Z-17K709-DA
7C3Z-17K709-CA

Old 01-02-2017, 11:27 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm a fan of good quality audio and did some research on the topic when it came speaker mounting locations in the EX/F250/F350.

In a nutshell,

The information I read, most of which was first hand trial and error by audio nerds several orders of magnitude higher than myself, seems to suggest that the "best" place to mount tweeters in these trucks is in fact the A pillar aimed at the glass.

The opinions seem to be that's the best location for staging and imaging.

However, to answer your question:

I saw a thread where those sail panels were mounted in an EX. The user that posted the info did some modifying but I believe it was only because he was using aftermarket tweeters that needed a bit more space to fit.

I would suggest going to a pick and pull type scrap yard and see if you can't score a pair

Old 01-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Great info Sessland! I'm thinking of an audio step-up and I'm soo grateful to you for this info, it came right on time!!!

Old 01-02-2017, 04:24 PM
sessland
More Turbo
My pleasure,

I drove around for a few weeks with my tweeters pressed into modelling clay and changing the position and orientation several times over those weeks.

Even though I really wanted to build the tweeters into the top of the dash so I could hide them better, to my ears the a-pillar sounded better.

You could very easily try the same thing with the modeling clay (aka Plasticine) and see what your ears have to tell you.

Looking forward to a build thread soon

Old 01-02-2017, 05:57 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to compete in iasca and I greatly prefer the sound of tweeters mounted as closely on plane with the midranges. Sail mounted tweeters create a higher sound stage and less equal paralengths for higher frequencies than lower frequencies, so my tweeters are mount on plane with the woofers, tight next to them in the doors. But it's your truck so do what your ears like best. Sail panels are cheap and easy to change out if you change your mind.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:09 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I used to compete in iasca and I greatly prefer the sound of tweeters mounted as closely on plane with the midranges. Sail mounted tweeters create a higher sound stage and less equal paralengths for higher frequencies than lower frequencies, so my tweeters are mount on plane with the woofers, tight next to them in the doors. But it's your truck so do what your ears like best. Sail panels are cheap and easy to change out if you change your mind.
Many moons ago I used to be VERY into car audio and was taught several things by some pretty smart people.

One of them was NEVER to put tweeters in the A-pillar for many reasons I'm sure you well understand and I would do a terrible job explaining.

However...when it came time to the EX, I started doing my research and hanging out on a few "higher end" audio forums and that's when I read a post by a VERY highly respected senior member IASCA judge .

In their opinion that was the "best" location for a 1" tweeter. They came to this conclusion and after spending much more time trying different combos with much nicer equipment than I could ever afford.

I went to my truck literally saying to myself "Internet audio nerds don't know jack about a real truck mumble mumble mumble..." and tried it myself.

Again, to my ears...they sounded better in the A-pillar. It pulled the whole sound stage from my feet to in front of my front window.

But to each their own. I've seen some questionable things that people were very happy about audio system wise. I'm not going to pop your balloon if you like it.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:25 PM
5HUB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweeter Housing popped right in, but I don't have original door panels test fit.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:49 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Tweeter housing looks great

The door lock pull on the other hand...

What year is the door panel from? I didn't realize something else would fit the EX door.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:37 PM
5HUB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 panel, rear has to be customized, I'm changing over everything to black slowly.
Dash swap will be last.