6.9 IDI Cooking Oil Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Blind Driver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dodonne2
I bought the IP on Ebay from Pensacola Diesel in Florida and a local pump rebuilder seems to think it is probable that the rebuild was done incorrectly. I just had the injectors tested and they are fine, now working on finding a a compression tester. As long as compression is good, I think the most likely cause of the white smoke and rough idle is a poorly build IP pump. I paid $400 on ebay for it. We'll see if the compression looks good today and I will update
My 7.3 poured white smoke and wouldn't accelerate.

A new injection pump from R&D solved all my issues.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:53 PM
dodonne2
5th Wheeling
Update

Truck has been running well so far, I have put around 8k miles on it. I use fuel cleaner additive and constantly put new see-thru fuel filters on the line in order to see the gunk still passing through the fuel system.

Things that needed changed to get the truck running: (review)
IP
3 separate lift pumps, so far. (converting to electric durafacet fuel pump soon)
All Injectors return lines and caps.
Cleaned ALL fuel lines with vacuum system and Diesel Kleen

The truck has been running well up until the last few weeks. It has developed a strange rpm bounce when it is started and warming up in the mornings (first 10-20 seconds of start up). Sometimes it actually shuts off. It will rev up and then drop down and then rev back up and drop back down, sometimes dieing. Also it has a strange pulse accerlation where the pedal never moves position but the truck will jump to higher rpm as if gaining more fuel suddenly. It happens when I just take off in the morning under minimal load. This also happens when decelerating. It happens more so in the morning when it is just warming up comin out of the neighborhodd; once to temperature it runs well usually.

Exhaust smoke:
A little bit white and black upon starting in the morning and sometimes stutters to fire. It definitely pushes a little white smoke when hoping on the highway n the morning.

I think I need to put an electric fuel pump in it somewhere on the rail in order to push fuel directly to the IP. These manual fuel pumps have already failed 2 times on me, so I think I will start there and see that fixs it.

Also, at around 2500 RPM there is a strange rattle coming from the engine when the truck is moving from load bearing to coasting; it is especially pronounce on the highway and when the engine is just opening up in the morning. As you roll on the throttle a fast paced shutter or rattle is audible, also audible rollng out of the throttle. Valve train issue? Old rattly Ford?

Old 05-07-2017, 12:55 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
3 different lift pumps??? Whoa. What happened? Were you running VO thru the lift pumps?

When you replaced the injector caps, did you put in some viton seals while you were in there?

The surging and performance issues seem like air intrusion. Do you have a separate fuel system for the VO? Does it perform differently when you switch to a different tank or VO system?

If you go with the e-pump on the rail, will you have a separate e-pump for the VO system and for the diesel system?

Old 12-13-2019, 05:41 AM
Bedie6.9
New User
Cooking oil conversion

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
While I don't disagree with this, all hope is not lost.

The problems could be simple or could require replacing the fuel tanks, fuel pump, injectors and IP. A very common problem is the 6-way switching valve for the fuel tanks malfunctions. It can get gummed up with WVO or get stuck 1/2 way between tanks, etc. I would start diagnosis here. Perhaps bypass the switching valve and stock tanks all together and see if the stock pump will pull fuel out of a can up to the engine.

New tanks for that truck are not expensive, but the pick-up/sending unit modules are...

As far as pumps go, one friend used to say 'those ford mechanical pumps will pump gravel' - they are durable and powerful.

After you get the truck to run on diesel again, I'll be happy to help you design a 'proper' WVO conversion. I've been doing conversions for over 10yrs and have dozens of trouble-free veggie systems running all over the country and even Canada. There are no 'kits' or conversion companies I would recommend for your truck - they all SUCK. You are much better off with a good DIY system.

A properly designed WVO conversion will include the following:

- separate tank for WVO (ideally aluminum, but a factory poly/plastic tank is fine)

- separate filters for WVO and diesel

- the ability to switch fuels without contaminating the diesel with WVO

- the ability to 'purge' all WVO from the injectors, IP, etc at shut down

- enough heat in the WVO system to get the oil to the same viscosity as diesel (typically we want to see at least 160* WVO at the IP/injectors)

- IMHO a fuel pressure gauge is required so that you know what is going on

Good luck and keep us posted.

I designed a 40 gal alum tank that replaces your factory rear tank and spare tire. It does require some fabrication, cutting and welding to install though... Contact Dave at Wvo and svo diesel to vegetable oil conversion kit | Veggie Garage for info.

The forum at WVO Diesel Conversion | SVO Grease Conversion | Ford Vegistroke Powerstroke | Biodiesel Conversion is probably the best place for good info about WVO and I post there regularly. Infopoop, GC and the other forums are so full of bad info and morons - I can't even read them.

Search my screen name and with a little digging you can read what I've advised others with trucks similar to yours. I also used 'airfooter' once upon a time on another PSD forum. I've learned a little since I started, so check with me to make sure I don't have a better idea than something I posted years ago!!

I would be interested in this Aluminum tank. I have a lower mileage 6.9 idi. Could you please email me? Brendantedie@gmail.com
thanks

Old 12-13-2019, 11:43 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Bedie6.9
I would be interested in this Aluminum tank. I have a lower mileage 6.9 idi. Could you please email me? Brendantedie@gmail.com
thanks
Old thread!

Please check with Dave at www.azfuels.com to buy the tank I designed.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:27 PM
dodonne2
5th Wheeling
Update

Truck is still running great. I have put probably 40k miles on it still running strong.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:09 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by dodonne2
Truck is still running great. I have put probably 40k miles on it still running strong.
Good work! Thanks for the update!

My ‘01 just hit 280k miles on VO.