6.9 IDI Cooking Oil Conversion - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

6.9 IDI Cooking Oil Conversion

Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Blind Driver
Senior User
Blind Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dodonne2 View Post
I bought the IP on Ebay from Pensacola Diesel in Florida and a local pump rebuilder seems to think it is probable that the rebuild was done incorrectly. I just had the injectors tested and they are fine, now working on finding a a compression tester. As long as compression is good, I think the most likely cause of the white smoke and rough idle is a poorly build IP pump. I paid $400 on ebay for it. We'll see if the compression looks good today and I will update
My 7.3 poured white smoke and wouldn't accelerate.

A new injection pump from R&D solved all my issues.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:53 PM
dodonne2
New User
dodonne2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update

Truck has been running well so far, I have put around 8k miles on it. I use fuel cleaner additive and constantly put new see-thru fuel filters on the line in order to see the gunk still passing through the fuel system.

Things that needed changed to get the truck running: (review)
IP
3 separate lift pumps, so far. (converting to electric durafacet fuel pump soon)
All Injectors return lines and caps.
Cleaned ALL fuel lines with vacuum system and Diesel Kleen

The truck has been running well up until the last few weeks. It has developed a strange rpm bounce when it is started and warming up in the mornings (first 10-20 seconds of start up). Sometimes it actually shuts off. It will rev up and then drop down and then rev back up and drop back down, sometimes dieing. Also it has a strange pulse accerlation where the pedal never moves position but the truck will jump to higher rpm as if gaining more fuel suddenly. It happens when I just take off in the morning under minimal load. This also happens when decelerating. It happens more so in the morning when it is just warming up comin out of the neighborhodd; once to temperature it runs well usually.

Exhaust smoke:
A little bit white and black upon starting in the morning and sometimes stutters to fire. It definitely pushes a little white smoke when hoping on the highway n the morning.

I think I need to put an electric fuel pump in it somewhere on the rail in order to push fuel directly to the IP. These manual fuel pumps have already failed 2 times on me, so I think I will start there and see that fixs it.

Also, at around 2500 RPM there is a strange rattle coming from the engine when the truck is moving from load bearing to coasting; it is especially pronounce on the highway and when the engine is just opening up in the morning. As you roll on the throttle a fast paced shutter or rattle is audible, also audible rollng out of the throttle. Valve train issue? Old rattly Ford?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 PM
genscripter
Postmaster
genscripter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
3 different lift pumps??? Whoa. What happened? Were you running VO thru the lift pumps?

When you replaced the injector caps, did you put in some viton seals while you were in there?

The surging and performance issues seem like air intrusion. Do you have a separate fuel system for the VO? Does it perform differently when you switch to a different tank or VO system?

If you go with the e-pump on the rail, will you have a separate e-pump for the VO system and for the diesel system?