1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

98 expedition key will not turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 12:43 PM
pthfndr80
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 expedition key will not turn

key was sticking for a while before I bought the truck but the owner could get it to go by playing with it but of course when I get it home it totally stops, I have tried everything on the net to get it to turn with no luck . I think it will need to be drilled out ? unless I can get it out another way . trying to find a video of how and where to drill any help would be awesome thanks.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 AM
pthfndr80
New User
got it out took a while , now that I have the new one installed I thought I could just hold the old key up by the sensor and it would start, until I can get the new key coded but it does not work maybe because of 2 different codes ? or did I do something when I took the old one out

Old 08-15-2016, 07:33 AM
Travis S
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pthfndr80
got it out took a while , now that I have the new one installed I thought I could just hold the old key up by the sensor and it would start, until I can get the new key coded but it does not work maybe because of 2 different codes ? or did I do something when I took the old one out
A better idea would have been to visit a locksmith to get a Non-PATS copy (AKA a Service Key) of your old key made. That way, you have a fresh, properly working key to have a new PATS key made from. PATS key blanks are available on eBay for cheap. I paid $8 for two, had them cut locally for $1 each and programmed them myself.

I suspect your PATS system is getting confused by getting signals from both an existing key and an unprogrammed one at the same time.

Alternately, you can take the new ignition lock cylinder into the locksmith to have it re-keyed to your old key. Then do the above to have spare keys made

Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 AM
pthfndr80
New User
I got a service key cut from the new cylinders chipped key tried it with the original chipped key held on near the receiver still only a flashing light ? did i screw the receiver somehow when i drilled the old cylinder out . is there something that needs to be reset ?

Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM
pthfndr80
New User
thinking about changing the transceiver , maybe i did something when I drilled the cylinder out that wrecked it . fast flashing theft light means it is the pats that is having issues from what I have read ?

Old 08-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
I got a service key cut from the new cylinders chipped key tried it with the original chipped key held on near the receiver still only a flashing light ? did i screw the receiver somehow when i drilled the old cylinder out . is there something that needs to be reset ?
thinking about changing the transceiver , maybe i did something when I drilled the cylinder out that wrecked it . fast flashing theft light means it is the pats that is having issues from what I have read ?
STOP, do NOT replace any more parts. Let me illustrate what is going on here so you can correctly understand.

Old Key + Old Cylinder = Won't Turn, PATS WILL recognize (key or cylinder is worn or physically damaged)
Old Key + New Cylinder = Won't Turn, PATS WILL recognize (key is cut differently)
New Key + New Cylinder = Will Turn, PATS won't recognize (key not programmed)
New Non-PATS Key + New Cylinder = Will Turn, PATS won't recognize (no transponder in key)

The transceiver is oriented so it reads what is inside the cylinder by design, in order to prevent key spoofing. In order to make it work properly, you have two options:
1. take the NEW cylinder to a locksmith to be re-keyed to your OLD key

OR do the following in this order TO THE LETTER:
1. disassemble the column, hold up your OLD key to the PATS transceiver (oriented to read the old key's transponder), while turning the cylinder with your NEW SERVICE KEY to the ON position. Keep the old key in this position
2. Wait untill the theft light turns off, this confirms it is ready to program a new key
3. Turn the Service Key back to off, remove the old PATS key from near the transceiver, and within 15 seconds, put the NEW PATS key in and turn it to ON.
4. Theft light will turn on for 2 seconds to confirm successful programming.

If programming is NOT successful, the theft light will flash due to Lack of new key code, all 16 key code slots used or time out

Once you have one working key, get a spare made and program it per the PATS Job Aid

Old 08-15-2016, 04:20 PM
pthfndr80
New User
ok thanks thanks for the info , I was unclear as to how it works but that helps ,

Old 08-15-2016, 04:44 PM
pthfndr80
New User
tried to program new key put old chipped key next to transceiver turned on with new service key light flashed for about a minute then goes out , turn off removed keys put new chipped key in turn on , flashes the same , should I have the new cylinder re keted to my original key or because I could not program do I need to get it reprogrammed to the new key by ford?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM
pthfndr80
New User
ok so had old key fit to new cylinder but still just get flashing theft light , not sure where to go from here ?

Old 08-15-2016, 10:28 PM
pthfndr80
New User
here's a question there were two kinds of ignition cylinders at lordco one with chipped keys and one without i was going to get the non chipped and get it fixed to use my chipped key , but looking at them they looked different so I got the one with the chipped keys is it possible I have the wrong cylinder?

Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
pthfndr80
New User
went a got a used transceiver , put it in and it starts ! I must have done something when I drilled it out ,

Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
went a got a used transceiver , put it in and it starts ! I must have done something when I drilled it out ,
Awesome, glad you got it fixed. Be sure to get a spare key (or two, Murphy's law happens) made if you havent already. KeylessKing on eBay has blanks for cheap, any hardware store can cut them and you now know how to program them too. Just be aware that if you get a dud from him, it's a PITA to get a refund because it costs more to ship it back than you paid. I got two dud remotes from him and ended up having to dispute the transaction at my bank for defective merchandise. Ended up going to the junkyard and got two more good ones for the same price.

The other thing I would do (and it's mainly me being picky) is to get the rest of your locks re-keyed to match the new ignition lock. Just be careful when pulling the hatch lock, the lock rod retainer tabs are easily broken. I had to MacGyver mine to work with a few carefully placed zip-ties. Seems like i've gotten pretty good at getting my fingers in awkward angles in tight openings