1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drawbar/hitch/pintle lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:35 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drawbar/hitch/pintle lock?

Back in 2004 when I got my pintle I also got a lock for it, because a brand new pintle with no lock seems like something that would grow legs.

I did pretty much zero research and bought a Master Lock unit that was stainless steel. I figured that would serve me well. It looked very similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-S...ter+lock+hitch

Well, in the first couple years I took it on and off a few times, but most of the time it just sat there. After my second winter, it was seized and would not come off. I left the pintle on my truck until a month or two ago when I cut it off with a grinder.

Now I would like to put a lock on my 2016. I'm asking for recommendations for a lock that will continue to function for years without seizing.

I really like the codeable models like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Durasafe-CRL6...ble+hitch+lock

But again, it's only worthwhile if it's going to continue to work for years and years.

I'm also thinking about just welding something to the end of a normal hitch pin. If I'm going to have to cut it off with a grinder anyway, I might as well go cheap with it.

-J

Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 PM
seemoremud
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clean & lube periodically, and any typical locking pin should last a very long time. I would imagine occasional shots of wd40 and un-locking/locking a few times would do the trick

Old 06-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Make sure you buy the locking pin for a 2 1/2 receiver class V.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I've got the bolt brand locking hitch pin that matches my truck key. It's been a few years and it works just fine still. I lube it when it starts to get sticky but haven't had any issues.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:27 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
I wouldn't use wd-40 it will hold the dust and dirt, a dry graphite lube would be be better.

A lock at the rear isn't a set it and forget thing, to much road dedris, dust, moisture and such. Periodically cleaning/lubing will go a long way.

On a side note how many times do you walk into it fogetting it's there.; (

Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM
CyberJay
Senior User
Originally Posted by scraprat
I wouldn't use wd-40 it will hold the dust and dirt, a dry graphite lube would be be better.

A lock at the rear isn't a set it and forget thing, to much road dedris, dust, moisture and such. Periodically cleaning/lubing will go a long way.

On a side note how many times do you walk into it fogetting it's there.; (
I agree completely about the WD-40. I had some aerosol grease that I've used on all sorts of things outside, I used that on my Master Lock pin that I bought in '04. Maybe that wasn't the best thing to use either. I think I'll have to try Graphite. I did do SOME maintenance on the old one, but during one stretch of probably 2-4 months it seized up. I was in NJ at the time, with more snow and more road salt. Hopefully now that I'm in Arkansas it'll be better.

I never had a problem running into my pintle. It was ALWAYS there, so you get used to it. I've seen some other people get whacked pretty good though.

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I've got the bolt brand locking hitch pin that matches my truck key. It's been a few years and it works just fine still. I lube it when it starts to get sticky but haven't had any issues.
I guess I'll try it out. What do you use for lube?

-J

Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
NJ salt and nasty environmental elements.

When I would have my hitch on it was at least once after the install. Many passengers would walk in to it even after warning them.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by CyberJay
I agree completely about the WD-40. I had some aerosol grease that I've used on all sorts of things outside, I used that on my Master Lock pin that I bought in '04. Maybe that wasn't the best thing to use either. I think I'll have to try Graphite. I did do SOME maintenance on the old one, but during one stretch of probably 2-4 months it seized up. I was in NJ at the time, with more snow and more road salt. Hopefully now that I'm in Arkansas it'll be better.

I never had a problem running into my pintle. It was ALWAYS there, so you get used to it. I've seen some other people get whacked pretty good though.I guess I'll try it out. What do you use for lube?

-J
Whatever silicone spray lube I find on the shelf. Lol

Old 06-28-2016, 10:08 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I don't understand how people walk into hitches. I've never walked into mine or any vehicle for that matter.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I would not recommend leaving your hitch draw bar in the receiver for any length of time unless you live in the dry southwest. Some states even have laws against it. That said if you do I would remove it monthly and clean and relube the shank to prevent it seizing in the receiver, I have made a lot of beer money from those that did and found that all of a sudden they needed to remove it that it would not come out, had 1 that actually bent a 20 ton press without moving. Normally I use a torch to slice the inner tube and then collapse it to be able to get it out, the 1 that bent the press was a solid 2 1/2 in. shank and had only been in for 2 months, we had to replace the receiver to repair it. Your choice but at least keep it lubed.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:38 AM
CyberJay
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
I would not recommend leaving your hitch draw bar in the receiver for any length of time unless you live in the dry southwest. Some states even have laws against it. That said if you do I would remove it monthly and clean and relube the shank to prevent it seizing in the receiver, I have made a lot of beer money from those that did and found that all of a sudden they needed to remove it that it would not come out, had 1 that actually bent a 20 ton press without moving. Normally I use a torch to slice the inner tube and then collapse it to be able to get it out, the 1 that bent the press was a solid 2 1/2 in. shank and had only been in for 2 months, we had to replace the receiver to repair it. Your choice but at least keep it lubed.
But how will people know what a manly man I am if I don't have my giant pintle hanging off the back of my truck. Clearly my Ram owning friends are aware of this since most of them seem to drive around pulling ghost trailers with their mirrors flipped up/out.

Anyway... I'm too lazy to take it out. It rode around in my '04 for 11.5yrs without getting stuck and 3 of those were in New Jersey. I think it'll be fine down here. I will keep an eye on it though.

I ordered the codeable one, I'll put some graphite in it and try to remember to remove it every few weeks. We'll see how it goes. The worst thing that could happen is it will be seized on my '16 the exact same way it was seized on my '04 and nothing bad came of that.

-J

Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Off topic, sorry. But how hard was it to grind off? I ask because I have one of those holding my front license plate in my front receiver hitch, but I have lost the keys. What side/where did you grind. I'm a little concerned because there isn't a lot of room to work in the front. I had considered trying to knock the lock off with a steel chisel and a BFH, but I'm not sure that'd work. I was also considering drilling out the lock cylinder.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
I used my 4" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. It made pretty quick work of it, but it did jump around a little. I would imagine the tighter area on the front of the truck might make it a lot harder. I cut it on the side that the key goes on, as close to the hitch as possible. I cut through the entire lock. Once I was done, I used a punch and a couple taps from a hammer and drove the pin out of what was left of the lock.

Cutting it off of the back wasn't a big deal.

-J