Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble? Violent shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM
SMS888
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Wobble? Violent shaking when braking

Hey all,

So I have a '94 F350 4x4 E4OD 7.3 IDIT 200k+ that has developed a death wobble of sorts. I've done all the routine fun stuff, brakes all around(everything from drums to wheel cylinders, rotors, and pads, no calipers though, still good), front shocks, front wheel bearings(inner/outer, seals), tie rods, aligned, balanced, new rear parking brake cables, ball joints are still good(Moog), I think that's it… Everything is adjusted and lubed, however my steering gearbox is leaking and time for a Redhead replacement.

Would that cause the wobble? There is a gentle shake as I drive down the road but when I touch the brakes, the shaking really begins. Light at first then violent and uncontrollable as I press harder. I am using the tranny to slow me down because it is awful… My ABS light is on(still haven't done the cruise switch recall), proportioning valve perhaps? Not even sure where to start at this point, what do I focus on first??!

Thanks all!!!!

Old 06-23-2016, 04:58 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
It took 6 months to cure Death Wobble on my 2012. A very long story short the steering box resolved it. My problem wasn't when braking but hitting certain road imperfections. The box had a weird feel and would clunk @ 10 and 2 oclock and Ford said it was normal.
Not saying it's your cure as there's many other things that can cause it, just answering your question with facts.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The "gentle shake" needs to be resolved, IMO. You might want to verify your wheels are not bent, and if possible try swapping the rear wheels onto the front.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:38 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd say rotors ... Are they new or turned?

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-23-2016, 07:19 PM
The_Drew
Senior User
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
I'd to say rotors ... Are they new or turned?

-Enjoy
My guess too, I need to do my fronts because I get a little wobble under braking. In my jeep it had a pretty bad wobble on braking until I replaced them

Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 AM
ifrythings
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
You missed the most critical part that causes death wobble on these trucks, all the bushings and most importantly the tracbar bushings will make this thing undrive able.

Start with the tracking bar then the spring bushings and shocks if you haven't already and last resort if you want to cover up the problem add a steering stabilizer.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 PM
SMS888
Junior User
Still shaking after...

So, I've replaced almost everything up front. All bushings except spring bushings, new gear box, alignment, balanced, new rotors, freshly turned. Ball joints are not new but they aren't bad either. Only happens when braking, and the guy that turned my room said the front right caliper would lockup on him. This never happened to me, but now if I hit them brakes hard at lower speeds, I can lock up that tire. Could it be something in the rear brakes? The whole truck shakes, not just the front. ABS related? My light has been on forever… I'm lost, getting mad at her now, help! Thanks!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SMS888
So, I've replaced almost everything up front. All bushings except spring bushings, new gear box, alignment, balanced, new rotors, freshly turned. Ball joints are not new but they aren't bad either. Only happens when braking, and the guy that turned my room said the front right caliper would lockup on him. This never happened to me, but now if I hit them brakes hard at lower speeds, I can lock up that tire. Could it be something in the rear brakes? The whole truck shakes, not just the front. ABS related? My light has been on forever… I'm lost, getting mad at her now, help! Thanks!
Spell check?

Brakes should NOT lock up when applied.

have you had an alignment?

And you have your NEW rotors turned?!? why.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,115 Likes on 2,174 Posts
my bet is spring bushings, specifically the front shackle bushings INSIDE THE FRAME.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I think the term death wobble is miss used here.

One doesn't usually feel death wobble until something like a pot hole starts it a wobbling, then it goes berserk in a hurry, is barely controllable and nothing stops it until the vehicle slows down to almost a stop.

-Enjoy

Old 07-10-2016, 10:40 AM
rhino123
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my 94 psd 4x the wobble , turned out to be broken rivets holding the front differential/ axel's .. worth a look see , gl

Old 07-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Zorfox
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lead Head
The "gentle shake" needs to be resolved, IMO. You might want to verify your wheels are not bent, and if possible try swapping the rear wheels onto the front.
Try this!

I had the same issue. I did the same things as you. Bearings, drums, rotors, bushings...blah blah blah. I even had my tires balanced (at least they said they were).

Finally, I took it to a shop for a diagnosis. They said the right front rim was bent. Sure enough, after replacing the rim the problem went away never to return. Easy enough to rotate your tires to check. It costs nothing and is something that needs to be done periodically anyway.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 PM
bert cook
Senior User
when you replaced your front end parts did you also replace the rubber lines to the calipers they can look perfectly fine and still be bad the inner linning can seperate and not release the pressure and you will get that wobble the main cause would be crimping vise grips on the line to keep the fluid from leaking

Old 07-11-2016, 11:51 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going from my experience, one of the front calipers is dragging and has warped rotor severely.

Do you have an IR temp gun? Or just Drive slow for a mile or so and it should be obvious even without one from the heat from the breaks which one it is.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
Personally, I think the term death wobble is miss used here.

One doesn't usually feel death wobble until something like a pot hole starts it a wobbling, then it goes berserk in a hurry, is barely controllable and nothing stops it until the vehicle slows down to almost a stop.

-Enjoy
I agree, it's one of those terms that gets used incorrectly a lot. Until you've felt 'death wobble' it's really hard to understand.

I also agree with Brad, it shouldn't be locking up one the front tire. There is something wrong there or in the ABS system. You said the ABS light is on, for the PS recall, however, are you sure there isn't another code in the system as well. One code can turn the light on, doesn't mean there aren't other codes as well.