Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

AWD Explorer has brief 'rumble'

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:11 PM
ojh
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AWD Explorer has brief 'rumble'

My 'new to me' '97 Explorer has this odd 'rumble' every now and then, as if I just ran over some rumble strips. Very brief, maybe a second or less, as if I hit 5 or 6 of those bumps.
It is a V8, XLT all wheel drive and I'm not familiar with it. Is this something I need to get looked at soon or is it just one of those things with the AWD. I only driven it a few times so I don't see a pattern and all else is great. Its a tight truck with less than 100K miles and I really enjoy it.
Thanks.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm inclined to suspect that to be a transfer case issue, but what I'm used to is more issues with the 4WD transfer case that cause noises versus the AWD Viscous Coupling Unit.

Does it seem to only make the noise if you are accelerating or under load, or does it even do this at times when coasting?

-Rod

Old 06-03-2016, 07:09 AM
ojh
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by shorod
I'm inclined to suspect that to be a transfer case issue, but what I'm used to is more issues with the 4WD transfer case that cause noises versus the AWD Viscous Coupling Unit.

Does it seem to only make the noise if you are accelerating or under load, or does it even do this at times when coasting?

-Rod
Good question. I've driven the truck just a few times and heard/felt the rumble on maybe 3 occasions. It might occur as it is about to shift into high gear, I can't be certain. It isn't under hard acceleration or anything other than just normal driving.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Spades
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just reading my manual last night and came across the Advance Trac RSC, and ESC, and another acronym that i cant remember.. Anyway it mentioned that when one of these features or components activate it can cause a vibration in the drivetrain which is normal. Are you sure you arent losing any traction during the moment you are feeling the rumble?

Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 PM
ojh
Mountain Pass
I talked to the right guy, he said it is a torque converter thing and I need some 'Shudder Friction Modifier'. I found some and added it yesterday and the shifts are smooth as silk. It was the 2-3 shift where it felt like I was going over a speed bump or a rumble strip.
It is a Lubeguard product, something about 'Dr Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx Friction Modifier'. Must be like the stuff for a posi unit.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ojh
I talked to the right guy, he said it is a torque converter thing and I need some 'Shudder Friction Modifier'. I found some and added it yesterday and the shifts are smooth as silk. It was the 2-3 shift where it felt like I was going over a speed bump or a rumble strip.
It is a Lubeguard product, something about 'Dr Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx Friction Modifier'. Must be like the stuff for a posi unit.
What is the condition of the tranny fluid? It might be time to change it. Most people don't pay attention to fluids other than engine oil. I wouldn't think you'd have this issue with modern transmission fluids unless the fluid has a lot of miles or hard use.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 AM
ojh
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mikeman
What is the condition of the tranny fluid? It might be time to change it. Most people don't pay attention to fluids other than engine oil. I wouldn't think you'd have this issue with modern transmission fluids unless the fluid has a lot of miles or hard use.
Good question, I'll have it serviced. The truck is new to me, it was a county vehicle and well maintained but a good flushing and new fluid etc bound to help. I'll check the reccommended maintenance as it is coming up on 100K miles.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My and x did this to. I serviced the transmission with a new filter and fluid and it cured it. You should service it since toy don't know if our had ever been. Do the t case and the front and rear diffs to