1987 OBD scanners/displays?? 2.3 Turbo in a buggy??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 OBD scanners/displays?? 2.3 Turbo in a buggy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2016, 07:33 AM
Elder User

RSCHAP1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1987 OBD scanners/displays?? 2.3 Turbo in a buggy???

Curious if there is anything available for an older motor like what is available for OBDII stuff?
My brother has a 1987 turbo 2.3 in his buggy.
He is looking to add a digital display rather than a bunch of analog gauges.
I am familiar with newer OBDII stuff a little bit.
I have a bunch of plug in scanners that Bluetooth to my phone with the Torque App.
I am wondering if there is anything like that at all for his older OBD stuff??
All I ever see is scanner with flashing lights and Morse code to diagnose trouble codes.
He says that he has found just displays that utilize the sending units and tie to a common display, so he can end up with what he is after, but thinking the computer is already getting all the info just needs a way to get at it....right???
Anyone ever do anything similar???
It would be nice if there was stuff like Torque and an ELM-327 but for older set up.
Appreciate any help and advice, THANKS ! ! !
Old 06-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
OBD-1 scanners tend to be fairly primitive compared to OBD-II, since the systems themselves are simpler. Also, they're brand-specific while OBD-II is fairly universal. I have a simple and cheap Innova Ford scanner like this:

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-F...=1&*entries*=0

But of course it's not designed to be left plugged in, only to connect it up and read the codes when a CEL is thrown. OBD-I doesn't monitor engine functions like RPM and temp, etc. like OBD-II does, so I don't think there are any monitoring products that you can get and leave plugged in, so I think you're out of luck in that department.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Elder User

RSCHAP1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks

I won't waste too much more time searching then.
Appreciate the info.
With some many options for newer OBDII stuff I hoped that something would have been out there.
Appreciate it !!!