Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TS reburn chip & SMOG

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 AM
MPannell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS reburn chip & SMOG

I have a TS chip reburned by Tony Wildman, I had him put a stock tune as one of the positions.. My question is, if I put the switch to the stock tune would the smog machine pick it up that I have a Chip/tuner? It's a pain in the butt to remove the chip and drive the truck for a few days before I have it smogged because I disconnected the batteries!!!

Mike

Old 04-25-2016, 11:22 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Assuming you mean California smog, no the machine cannot know if the truck is chipped. The give away would be the switcher and any black smoke from the snap test, when they floor it up to 3k RPM 3 times and check opacity of the exhaust. "Stock" tune should not smoke unless you have other issues. I hide the switcher in the driver side window vent.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:39 AM
MPannell
Junior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Assuming you mean California smog, no the machine cannot know if the truck is chipped. The give away would be the switcher and any black smoke from the snap test, when they floor it up to 3k RPM 3 times and check opacity of the exhaust. "Stock" tune should not smoke unless you have other issues. I hide the switcher in the driver side window vent.
Yes Ca smog test, The guy I've used for the last 2 smogs didn't even snap test, just hooks it up and runs the computer... Doesn't even look under the hood.. Just wanted to make sure on the stock setting, the machine couldn't tell I had the tuner...

Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Removed my chip the first year and then got lazy after that. No problem in stock setting (3 years and counting). The computer can tell if you're chipped. The **** on my dash looks innocent enough and doesn't get a second look.

The shop I go to does the whole test.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:23 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by MPannell
Just wanted to make sure on the stock setting, the machine couldn't tell I had the tuner...
It cannot. You're safe.

Curious though, why do you disconnect the batteries when you remove the chip?

Stewart

Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 AM
MPannell
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
It cannot. You're safe.

Stewart
Just figured that was the right way, unhooked the batteries when I installed the chip!! So I just got in the habit of doing it...

Old 04-26-2016, 11:07 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
It cannot. You're safe.

Stewart
Thanks for the backup Stewart. I wasn't paying attention to what my fingers were typing. The computer CANNOT tell if you are chipped.

Just figured that was the right way, unhooked the batteries when I installed the chip!! So I just got in the habit of doing it...
If you disconnect the batteries I recommend driving around for awhile before taking it in for the test. There are self-checks done when you re-connect power and take some time to complete and set the flag for a PASS. I made that mistake many years ago with an F-150. Did some work one day and took it in for the test the next and it failed because all the initial diagnostics had not run their course. Now I will drive at least 200 miles to let the diagnostics run their course before having any testing done if I've disconnected the batteries. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:07 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Nope, not needed. Just do NOT have your keys anywhere near your truck, that way you won't accidentally put them in the ignition and leave the key on when pulling the chip.

Just unlock your truck, then walk back in the house and put 'em away, then go pull the chip.

Originally Posted by brian42
Thanks for the backup Stewart. I wasn't paying attention to what my fingers were typing. The computer CANNOT tell if you are chipped.
You made me

So I went back and re-read your post and then

I didn't read it the way you typed it. My mind read it the way you meant it.

If you disconnect the batteries I recommend driving around for awhile before taking it in for the test.
He knows.

It's a pain in the butt to remove the chip and drive the truck for a few days before I have it smogged because I disconnected the batteries!!!
Stewart