Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New Injection Pump Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:21 PM
shakenbake254
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Injection Pump Recomendations

This is my first time posting on FordTrucks but this site has been a big help so far with my '86 F250 6.9 restoration project. Anyway I have been slowly fixing the fuel system since I got her a few months ago. I deleted the FSV so it's only running on the front tank, all new return and supply lines, injector fuel return line kit, new fuel filter, electric fuel pump, and temporally bypassed the water separator. Now it looks like it's time for new injectors and a pump since my ip is leaking and the injectors and pump are factory with at least 160,000 miles on them.

I am going to buy Delphi BB injectors but I haven't been able to decide on a ip yet. I have been reading a bunch of threads on here and on oilburners and most people have been suggesting a baby moose ip but I am short on cash and I can't afford to have my truck down for to long. The two I'm looking at are a Delphi pump $508 from O'reilly auto parts or a Stanadyne pump $525 from thedieselstore. Both have a 1 year warranty. I haven't been able to find any reviews on the delphi unit so I'm hoping to hear from anybody who has experience with them.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They are all ****, sadly. Totally luck of the draw. The only person that I trust at this point is Justin at R&D. R&D IDI Performance - About
He's got both stock and improved pumps, and the improved pumps(when matched with a turbo) produce what they say they do.
It may be slightly more money than you want for a stock IP from him, but he does have some warranty and is good about making sure you don't get a dud.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 PM
shakenbake254
Freshman User
Does he do anything special to the stock N/A units that they wouldn't do to the pumps from thedieselstore.com?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
I'm pretty sure they're tuned a bit better.
That being said, I think the main advantage is in quality control. For whatever reason, I've seen plenty of horror stories about shoddily assembled pumps(especially hot start issues); A lot of places will just do a re-seal and test job; you've still got worn parts in there.
Justin/(RacinNDrummin is his username here) is around; go ahead and ask him any questions.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:19 PM
shakenbake254
Freshman User
Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I might have to save up and go with R&D if the pumps are better quality rebuilds.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:07 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Knowing Justins work ethic and what hes put into IDI's, there is no way i would go anywhere else. He has his money where his mouth is and isnt afraid to prove it. I wouldnt be afraid of buying his reman'd injectors either, seems that the injector page on his website is having a tech issue though. Hes also and FTE vendor

R&D IDI Performance - About

Old 11-25-2015, 06:40 AM
brokeasajoke
More Turbo
Get a quality pump if you have to wait a few paychecks. I have a R&D. Wish I hadnt cut myself short on injectors and bought a set from R&D. Not that big of a price difference IMO.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
You get what you pay for...buy the best and cry only once.
The thing is... R&D does not cost that much more than a junk reman. His price includes the shipping.

Fact is, most "rebuilt" IP's have little done to them besides glass bead cleaning and put back in the box. The truck will start and run, but expect nothing more. R&D uses a really good pump shop and you can rest assured that it has been thoroughly gone through and calibrated and is a quality piece that will perform. With an IDI the IP and injectors are one place you don't want to cut corners. That is the heart of your truck. It affects power, fuel efficiency, starting, engine smoothness, response, and flat out reliability. Get a good pump from R&D.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i run a Bull Moose and i absolutely love it.
i know a few people (personally) that are running R&D IP's
and they love them as well.
WITHOUT getting into a pissing match, you should save your money and get a IP from one or the other.
BOTH companies stand behind their product. and produce fine equipment.
do not get it from somewhere else.
if youre trying to save coin youre better off at a junkyard, and expect the same type of outcome from it.
as posted, you get what you pay for.
buy it once and be golden for at least another 100k

Old 11-25-2015, 09:19 AM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do some homework around your area. There should be at least one reputable diesel shop that the farmers and construction companies trust and use. I got mine this way mainly because I walked in set the core on the table and walked out with a new pump. If downtime is an issue this is your best bet. My next pump will probably be from R&D.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM
norm805
Senior User
I recently went with Oregon diesel injection and it works great.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:51 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Justin's pumps are properly built. The moose line is properly built. The pumps I sell are properly built. Parts store pumps are junk.

As far as injectors, Delphi is out of production, do you want to buy something that cant be warrantied? the new Stanadynes I have sold recently are ok but I am having some minor assembly issues.
I am from here on out building my own injectors using new tips, as is Justin. Keeps the quality up when done in house.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 AM
shakenbake254
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy7
Do some homework around your area. There should be at least one reputable diesel shop that the farmers and construction companies trust and use. I got mine this way mainly because I walked in set the core on the table and walked out with a new pump. If downtime is an issue this is your best bet. My next pump will probably be from R&D.
I never saw all the new responses on this thread. I'm saving for a new ip right now and was able to grab some more hours at work too. PlumCrazy7 are you on the ranger forums? I think I remember seeing a build thread by a user with the same user name.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shakenbake254
PlumCrazy7 are you on the ranger forums? I think I remember seeing a build thread by a user with the same user name.
There's another PlumCrazy over there, the IDI forum is what i consider home. I had a mountaineer thread that no report worthy progress has materialized on, keep a lookout for me in next year or so I've got a v8 ranger swap in mind that I think will be pretty sweet.