6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

50 Gallon Titan Tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
50 Gallon Titan Tank

Just curious to know if anyone has ever installed one of these Titan tanks for any 2011 to current Crew Cab Short Box Super Duty trucks with the 6.7L diesel? As a new 6.7L truck owner, having to refuel every few days to fill up that puny 26 gallon tank is getting really old, really fast!!!! Apparently this tank is a 50 gallon capacity specifically intended for that exact cab and bed configuration. Those who have, or know anyone who has installed one of these tanks, what extra space does that extra capacity take up that the factory 26 gallon tank doesn't? Are there any issues with the tank sender during install? Are there any other issues I should be aware of, if I decide to pull the trigger on one of these? Better yet, any of those of you who have pictures of yours installed would be great.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/ford...ies-2011-2012/

Old 11-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
And we need to see pics of this alleged 6.7.....

Old 11-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Just curious to know if anyone has ever installed one of these Titan tanks for any 2011 to current Crew Cab Short Box Super Duty trucks with the 6.7L diesel? As a new 6.7L truck owner, having to refuel every few days to fill up that puny 26 gallon tank is getting really old, really fast!!!! Apparently this tank is a 50 gallon capacity specifically intended for that exact cab and bed configuration. Those who have, or know anyone who has installed one of these tanks, what extra space does that extra capacity take up that the factory 26 gallon tank doesn't? Are there any issues with the tank sender during install? Are there any other issues I should be aware of, if I decide to pull the trigger on one of these? Better yet, any of those of you who have pictures of yours installed would be great.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/ford...ies-2011-2012/
I installed one in my truck this summer. Only thing I had trouble with was getting the sender harness propely disconnected.
I want to thank "Epic" again for showing us how to unplug the connector, without breaking anything.

There were some early concerns about getting water in the tank.
IMHO If you have that problem The installer is to blame. cause the tank seals up better than the stock one.
I did not get the shield for the tank and can't see much reason to either.
The tank is extremely durable.
Sender basket/check valve sump. functions the same as factory and I had no troubles.
The 50 gallons is made up mostly in length of tank. and some in depth. The front of the tank ends up by the DFCM.
I would be happy to get you some more specific pics, most of what is on the web is pretty close.
P.M. is fine too.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Dakar Dad
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found that putting a clean rag on the end of a small broom and wiping the inside of the tank with it was a good idea as the wife came up with the idea after having her hand inside of it and found residue in it.
Then we ran a shop vac to pick up the rest that came loose.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
I installed one in my truck this summer. Only thing I had trouble with was getting the sender harness propely disconnected.
I want to thank "Epic" again for showing us how to unplug the connector, without breaking anything.

There were some early concerns about getting water in the tank.
IMHO If you have that problem The installer is to blame. cause the tank seals up better than the stock one.
I did not get the shield for the tank and can't see much reason to either.
The tank is extremely durable.
Sender basket/check valve sump. functions the same as factory and I had no troubles.
The 50 gallons is made up mostly in length of tank. and some in depth. The front of the tank ends up by the DFCM.
I would be happy to get you some more specific pics, most of what is on the web is pretty close.
P.M. is fine too.
Im also considering getting one. Price seems quite high for a plastic fuel tank in my opinion but the stock 26 gallon tank is a joke, especially coming from an f150 that had a 36 gallon tank. I can pass everything but a fuel station with my f350 and getting 11mph pulling my 5th wheel sucks having to stop at every station for fuel but i guess its nice to stretch the legs more often anyway.

You have the short box 6.7ft? I hear the titan is a bit lower than the stock tank which could possibly be an issue if you offroad much without a skid plate. Do you notice its significantly lower/deeper than the stock tank as in hanging below the front axle/frame at all? I dont do it often, but occasionally i do go offroad over bad terrain and I would hate for my plastic fuel tank to be the lowest most vulnerable point of my truck. Could be a very bad time if it gets ruptured in the middle of nowhere and leaves you stranded.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:05 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by SultanGris
Im also considering getting one. Price seems quite high for a plastic fuel tank in my opinion but the stock 26 gallon tank is a joke, especially coming from an f150 that had a 36 gallon tank. I can pass everything but a fuel station with my f350 and getting 11mph pulling my 5th wheel sucks having to stop at every station for fuel but i guess its nice to stretch the legs more often anyway.

You have the short box 6.7ft? I hear the titan is a bit lower than the stock tank which could possibly be an issue if you offroad much without a skid plate. Do you notice its significantly lower/deeper than the stock tank as in hanging below the front axle/frame at all? I dont do it often, but occasionally i do go offroad over bad terrain and I would hate for my plastic fuel tank to be the lowest most vulnerable point of my truck. Could be a very bad time if it gets ruptured in the middle of nowhere and leaves you stranded.
That is correct. I have a crew cab with 6-3/4' box. I don't tow or go off reading, and thus far can only manage to get 11 to 13 mpgs with a 3.55 gear. Coming from an '07 F-250 6.0 with the same cab and box configuration, it used to cost me between $120 to $130 to fuel up depending on the price of fuel and how low I let it get. But at least I could manage a week out of that. Now, with my '16 the most I have been able to squeeze in, is about $85 but I have to keep refueling every few days. I admit I have a pretty heavy right foot, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who finds it annoying having to refuel more frequently than I feel I should be.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by SultanGris

Yes 6 3/4.
No the tank does not hang below the front axle/frame.
In the directions for the FX4 transfer case skid plate modification, it recommends cutting or bending a portion where the nose of the tank may be too close.
I simply put two spacers, about 3/4" thick between the frame and the plate at the rear two bolts.
I believe this gives me adequate protection, I also realize this truck is not designed to be a rock crawler.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Dakar Dad
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just under mine draining the fuel separator and took a few pictures.
I have the double protective cover on my Titan tank and it never fit perfectly around the bottom front of the tank so it hangs lower than the tank itself.

At the front I definitely had to cut part of the front transfer case guard otherwise there would have been no way there would have been enough clearance. Doing that took almost as long as installing the whole tank.

I did a serious day of 135 miles of offroading with my son one weekend. Remember that I am at the stock ride height and I went up and over things I would have never tried by myself. The truck is amazing in what it did that day IMHO.
After the whole day this picture shows that my front bracket ever even hit a rock and there were plenty of those.
I liked having the security of the second cover protecting the bottom of the tank that day, but maybe it is not needed?

Spend the money and get the tank, you won't be sorry as I love mine.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
I did the install myself. Here is a link to a bunch of photos of the install.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1050179...InstallMay2011

-Chris

Old 11-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Zeus-FX4
New User
50 Gallon tank

Take a look at the TransferFlow tank as well. I chose this one, mainly because it is made from metal, not plastic. The difference between the TransferFlow and OEM are the length and height of the tank. Once installed you will need to have the PCM recalibrated to make sure your DTE and fuel gauge reads correctly.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:44 PM
RedFish_n
Junior User
Anybody else installed the Transfer Flow tank. It look pretty good on their web site. I wonder how it will hold up. I looks like the skid plate doesn't have to be cut for this one. The install video doesn't show it being cut. It is also a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Titan. I have been looking at the Titan for a while now, just haven't pulled the trigger on int yet. Hoping to have a bigger tank before next spring.