1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Turn Signal Issue - 1977 E-250

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:22 PM
freetorun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signal Issue - 1977 E-250

I have found numerous threads regarding turn signal issues and much like the others, none seem to match my issue.

I recently felt resistance in the steering column during a turn then lost canceling ability in one direction. A few days later, the signals stopped working completely and I was told my rear right brake light was not working.

I figured the cancelling cam on the turn signal switch broke off but wasn't sure why the signals stopped working. I replaced the turn signal switch (the new one came with one less wire than the stock part - guessing it was missing cruise control).

When I reattached the wheel, the signals were working again and of course cancelling properly. I took about three turns and the signals stopped working. Now they work on occasion after the vehicle has been sitting, but never for more than 3-5 turns. There does not seem to be a correlation with outside or operating temperature.

I took the steering wheel back off and double checked/cleaned connections and the problem remains - they still work on occasion.

I have seen posts indicating there are two sets of flashers, one for the hazards which is near the fuse panel and one for the turn signals which is buried in the instrument panel. I have also read that the brake light switch is wired through the same connector and could cause issues if it is faulty.

To date I have not replaced either of the flashers or the brake switch. I did verify the fuse is not blown.

Any thoughts? It sure seems like a bad connection or potentially a bad ground but I'm having a hard time debugging this since they work occasionally. Does the turn signal switch ground to the column beneath the turn signal arm connection point (looks like an RCA jack almost). I cleaned this location in case it was a ground and still no dice.

Any advice or directing to an appropriate, existing thread would be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:42 AM
freetorun
New User
Update: Changed out the brake light switch and that didn't fix it. Planning to swap out the turn signal flasher next.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:25 AM
Grinder_1
New User
Did it work?

Originally Posted by freetorun
Update: Changed out the brake light switch and that didn't fix it. Planning to swap out the turn signal flasher next.
I am having a similar issue with my 79. One side won't hold on, the other side won't cancel out. Sometimes they stop working all together, and other times (while they are working) my left inside dash indicator stays on at all times. Sometimes it flickers, or dims out... and others it's really bright. As I think about it... I think the dash indicator stays on in some way all the time. I assume whatever broke is floating around in there causing an occasional short, but never blows a fuse. Maybe I will pull the steering wheel one day and try to fix it.. but for now... when they don't work, I just **** off other drivers, by using hand signals. After all... they are still legal.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:42 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
We were having similar problems with the lights on our 78 E-100 except the turn signal switch was not broken. It was some time back so my memory to detail fails me but do remember the solution.. Changed the rear sockets and added a ground to the body..

Old 12-01-2015, 05:43 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
That was a ground right there at the sockets..

Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 AM
Grinder_1
New User
interesting...

Originally Posted by annaleigh
That was a ground right there at the sockets..
An officer was more than happy to inform me I had a brake light out. Opened it up, bulb was good. Someone had changed out the socket, and did not get the correct one, so it didn't seat correctly in the lense. Wiring appeared sound in theory. I assumed it was a result of the blinker issue, and back burnered it. A month later the same officer, and some coworkers (3 cars, 4 cops, overkill in my opinion) felt inclined to inquire why it wasn't fixed. I ran a hot lead from the other light to the faulty one and called it good. It never occurred to me the bad socket could be the cause of the blinker issues. I may just fix the light correctly, and see what happens. Thanks.