Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6.7, 7.3, and other numbers:

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
6.7, 7.3, and other numbers:

I am unsure of the backstory or details on this situation, but here are the broad strokes I do know:

I have a friend with a nice shiny 2012 Superduty with the 6.7L. He just reached 200K miles and he wants to trade it in - I am unsure what he was trading in for.

6.7L Superduty back then was what... about $65K when you include tax and license? He put $10K down and he's been making $500/month payments. Anyway... he owes close to $35K on on it three years later.

They offered him $14K for the truck.

I bought a 2000 7.3L Lariat with 4X4 for about $10k (holding the pink for what my friend had as a down). I put more money than $500 per month into it, but it was as I wanted, not what I was obligated to do. I have maybe $5K more into my truck than he does into his, but there is no balance owing... and I'm done with the mods.

7.3L-era Superdutys in the condition I've made "Stinky" are easily going for about $18K to $20K regionally.

My friend with the $14K 6.7L Superduty lives in this same region.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:38 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
It's almost impossible to compare that way Rich... Take your truck to the same dealer and see what thell give you for it.
There's a good chance thell give you more then some random person might think but at the end of the day I'd guess they'd offer you around $5-7k on a really good day. Either way no one but the dealer wins with a trade in
In comparison that way you're still doing alright

Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this! Makes me feel even better about the time and money I am putting I am putting into my 7.3 beast. I bought mine for $8k and have less than $1k in it so far. That includes towing and break down headaches but the truck is getting better every week I own it. Much better than your friends spending for sure!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM
dsquared
Elder User
Rich:

That really sucks for your friend!! That said, he put a s&%*load of miles on it!! I'm curious as to what he has thrown at it in maintenance / repairs on top of his $500 monthly payment.

I love not having car payments!! Except, of course, what is needed to maintain my vehicles! But it isn't anywhere near his payment!

Wish him luck from SoCal.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
It is interesting when you break the numbers down as so many of us have to see what works for them and their family. I think the bottom line of buying a new or newer truck is you get the sense of security and reliability from a warranty. Also, buying a new truck you can pretty much count on the fact that suspension parts and steering parts will not wear out before you want to move on.

I bought my 7.3 because I wanted a diesel truck to tow my travel trailer and family around the country. I had to get something reliable, but factored in a few thousand during the purchase in order to get the truck up to my standards. Recently we took our truck and trailer on a 6K mile round trip from GA to your neck of the woods and back.

I love my truck, but would certainly like to have a nice shinny 6.7, but I cannot justify the payments for a 6.7 over the maintenance costs for my 7.3. Yes, the 7.3 is a dinosaur, but it gets the job done and I have a title in my hand and am about $14K into it total including an aux tank and creature comforts that I installed to make it our own.

You have to be happy with what you are doing and find that happy medium where a situation works for you that may not work for someone else.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
It's almost impossible to compare that way Rich... Take your truck to the same dealer and see what thell give you for it.
There's a good chance thell give you more then some random person might think but at the end of the day I'd guess they'd offer you around $5-7k on a really good day. Either way no one but the dealer wins with a trade in
In comparison that way you're still doing alright
That's why I prefaced with not knowing the backstory or details, but I don't think anybody could disagree with this very raw statement: My friend owes $35K... and he's not going to get that from a 6.7L with 200K miles. He's upside-down and his warranty has expired.

If I get zero on my truck today (big crash, no insurance) - I'm in the clear. No sphincter pucker factor here.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
He better forget about trading it in for another 3 years or so. That's the reality he has.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by HKusp
He better forget about trading it in for another 3 years or so. That's the reality he has.
That's the truth...

I think part of the issue is that new trucks are more expensive now. For instance...

My 2001 F.250 XLT 4x4 Super Cab Short Bed was purchased in 2001 with around 10k on it from a local Ford dealership. It was actually the dealerships truck (used for picking up and delivering parts, etc.) and had no previous owners. It was purchased for right at $31,000.

A 2016 with same style and trim is right at $50,000 to get off the lot.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 10-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's like clockwork for a dealer to give a very low trade in value for a 200K plus mile vehicle.... no matter what the year, motor, etc. Most big dealers simply take them straight to auction where they'll end up on a smaller mom-and-pop lot, or a we'll-finance-anyone-for-the-price-of-your-soul dealer.

The big issue for the owner is the extremely long financing terms he took out when he bought the truck, versus the huge amount of miles he put on in a very short time. If anyone is ever going to drive a vehicle like that, put a lot of money down and pay it off as quick as possible. Otherwise you will remain underwater until it's paid off.

Depreciation is exponentially magnified when you put a ton of miles on it. That's just how it goes unfortunately.

But on the flip side, a 2 or 3 year old 6.7L with less than 30K miles will fetch near what you can get for a brand new truck. I was originally going to buy a used 6.7L, but said screw it and paid a few grand more for one with 7 miles on the odometer when I picked it up. Low mileage 6.7's hold their value really well and typically sell quick.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Yes, if you ever tow with a 2015 6.7l you will know why people want them. But the price is like buying two of my first houses. That part sucks,

Old 10-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm quite happy with my truck, yes it is a dinosaur but the engine I know will last as long as I take care of it as I do.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Yes, if you ever tow with a 2015 6.7l you will know why people want them.
^^^^^
This could not be more true. I used to hate the 6 speed in the Ford until I drove an untuned 6 speed dodge... Tuned I'm sure the Ford is a beast

Old 10-08-2015, 09:08 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
John is right, it's not quite apples to apples when you compare trade in value vs an open sale. Even with the high miles he would get a lot more for his truck if he sold it out right rather than trade in value. I don't know if he would get 35k for it, but definitely more than 14k
I know a couple years ago I swung in to look at the 6.7s when they first came out and the sales guy made me laugh when he said what trade in would probably be for my truck.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Here's the question on this whole thing that has haunted me about the 6.7L:

How much attention does a 6.7L with 200K miles need? At between 200K and 300K, Stinky needed some real attention, but far more after I started wailing on him while in a PMS stupor. The cab lift vs. the hood-pop is a factor here, because a shade tree mechanic isn't going to want this rig. That eliminates a large share of the demand for a used rig - diminishing the resale price.

If you are facing the cost of a cab lift just to get access to the tired injectors, then $100/hr do do work we could do ourselves for free... only a person with deep pockets could afford a high-mile 6.7L. If they have pockets that deep, they're not gunna want a high-mile money pit. There goes another share of the market for a high-mile 6.7L.

When people join the forum with a 7.3L... with 200K miles... what do we tell them? "It's just broke-in, but your injectors are about due". With DPF, DEF, that "special" fuel rail, and a $3000 body lift to service some of that stuff - can you imagine anyone ever saying to anyone... "With 200K miles, your 6.7L is just broke-in"? Or... are we more apt to say "With 200K miles, your 6.7L is just broken". This is one of those instances where a hyphen-i has profound significance.

One other thing: If the 6.7L is of value as long as it doesn't have 200K miles or more, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? That's a freaking expensive Bic. I'm more of the Zippo type.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rich, from what I've seen on these 6.7L's that are hitting 200K they are still going strong. Yes every engine has their share of quirks, some more than others, but lots of folks compare the reliability of the 6.7L to the 7.3L, even at higher mileage.

As far as working on the 6.7L, it's actually not that bad and much much much easier than the 6.4L. Ford did a good job of locating things within reach without having to lift the cab for anything more than an oil change.

Here's one thing I do like, my truck always reminds me of every bit of maintenance. It even tells me when to check my coolant PH. Follow these maintenance intervals closely helps keep things running smooth for a long time.

Quick Reply: 6.7, 7.3, and other numbers: