1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anyone remember this type of fuel conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Anyone remember this type of fuel conditioner?

A friend of mine dragged home a '31 Ford that has been sitting in a garage since 1961. Along with the misc. parts and pieces was a full case of this stuff unopened.
'STEED Fuel Conditioner'

There is no indication of manufacture date and the label has all sorts of claims on it, just like snake oil. You know - frees stuck rings, cleans gum, varnish and stops pings and unfouls plugs, increases compression. Cures asthma, gout and balances the national debt. It does contain XYLOL What does that do? Brightens teeth with a minty taste - I don't know.

The can he gave me is still factory sealed and shakes normally as a liquid inside. Could it be 30-50 years old? I'm tempted to put it in my truck to make it like new again.

Any recollections of this stuff?
Tom

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Given the style of label, and the "Harmful or Fatal if Swallowed" warning, I would say this crap came out in the mid to late 60's.

Don't recall a "Steeds" brand of fuel additive.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:22 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
If there's no UPC bar code, it's pre '74. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of the brand. But from this google search, there seems to be quite a bit of those old cans around, especially on ebay. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...el+conditioner

Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
I clicked on your Google link Wayne, and there is a boatload of that stuff flying around. Really like the hype and spin folks put in their Ebay ads: "Rare Vintage Steeds oil additive".

Old 10-03-2015, 09:36 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
Given the style of label, and the "Harmful or Fatal if Swallowed" warning, I would say this crap came out in the mid to late 60's.

Don't recall a "Steeds" brand of fuel additive.
The 'snake oil' salesman moniker fit this thing perfectly. This product came out in 1972 and was gone by the end of 1973. Two con-men, Harvey Brown and Chuck Bissel set up Steed Industries and began packing some crap that ws marketed as Fuel conditioner and oil conditioners. STP sued them for copyright violation for the packaging and the SEC got them for securities violations. The company had no legitimate interest in any kind of products, it was a Pyramid scheme where they sold multi level distributorships and the two 'partners' took all the money and left the 'investors' holding an empty bag (or cans).

Old 10-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Now we know why there was a full case of it, heh. Gotta love multi-level marketing.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Bardhal, Marvel, Lucas, STP, Sta-Lube, Seafoam, etc. with "secret proprietary petroleum distillate ingredients" are all pretty much the same interesting snake oil. There may be more than one way to skin a cat, but it's still a cat.

the FTC and Slick 50

"In 1997, three subsidiaries of Quaker State Corp. (the makers of Slick 50) settled Federal Trade Commission charges that ads for Quaker State's Slick 50 Engine Treatment were false and unsubstantiated. According to the FTC complaint, claims such as the following made in Slick 50 ads falsely represented that without Slick 50, auto engines generally have little or no protection from wear at start-up and commonly experience premature failure caused by wear:

cleansed, not coated

On the other side of the engine block are those additives which will cleanse your engine, not coat it. Stuff like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil claim they can make your engine run quieter and smoother, and reduce oil burning. These are products which contain solvents or detergents such as kerosene, naphthalene, xylene, acetone or isopropanol. If used properly, I suppose these products will strip off your Teflon and zinc protective coatings! But unless you have a really old and abused car, you probably have no need of stripping away sludge and deposits from your engine. Thus, you probably have no need for these wonder cleaners. If you overuse such products you can damage your engine by promoting metal to metal contact."

Old 10-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Xylol is xylene, a product of the petroleum distillation process. Used extensively as a solvent, paint thinner, cleaner, etc. Would probably work pretty good for removing tar, fuel varnish, grease, etc.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
A JC Whitney staple for years

Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
LOL "send no money" yeah OK. Good stuff, I'm sure.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:30 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
A JC Whitney staple for years

What does it do, seize the motor? If that is the case, it certainly would actually do several of the things it claims, like quieting the motor, stopping oil burning, lowering fuel consumption, and stopping exhaust smoking.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:03 AM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
What does it do, seize the motor? If that is the case, it certainly would actually do several of the things it claims, like quieting the motor, stopping oil burning, lowering fuel consumption, and stopping exhaust smoking.

I laughed my butt off when I read that.
Good stuff right there. If we were all physically sitting around a shop talking like guys do, that is the sort of stuff that would be said.

Tom

Old 10-04-2015, 07:07 AM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by harleymsn
The 'snake oil' salesman moniker fit this thing perfectly. This product came out in 1972 and was gone by the end of 1973. Two con-men, Harvey Brown and Chuck Bissel set up Steed Industries and began packing some crap that ws marketed as Fuel conditioner and oil conditioners. STP sued them for copyright violation for the packaging and the SEC got them for securities violations. The company had no legitimate interest in any kind of products, it was a Pyramid scheme where they sold multi level distributorships and the two 'partners' took all the money and left the 'investors' holding an empty bag (or cans).

Thanks Joe,
That explains why we never heard of it.
If I see a dried-out snake around, I'll open the can and pour it on for a full revival. The snake will be good as new again.
Tom