Homemade fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Upcamper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade fuel???

So does anyone here make thier own fuel?? I've seen the shows where people make it from used cooking oil, does it work? is it worth the time? and do you have to do anything to your truck before using it?

Just wondering, seems that it would be a good way to save a little $$!!! the process seems pretty simple and not alot of up front investment.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
JustDucky
Junior User
Most places (restaurants) around here have all contracted to recycling co's to handle their oil. It cannot be found to use in home biodiesel mfr.

I'll let others chime in on the use.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Moved...enjoy.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
See my sig.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Upcamper
So does anyone here make thier own fuel?? I've seen the shows where people make it from used cooking oil, does it work? is it worth the time? and do you have to do anything to your truck before using it?

Just wondering, seems that it would be a good way to save a little $$!!! the process seems pretty simple and not alot of up front investment.
Welcome to FTE! And welcome to our biodiesel forum.

The answer to your question is YES! There are a bunch of us here making and using biodiesel. I myself have been making it for almost 4 years now, and I still smile everytime I pass a fuel station............

Go here first: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org And read, read, read!

Also check out the posts in this forum, there is a lot of experance here, and we're all willing to help you on your way to making your own fuel.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes we do. I run my truck on WVO (waste vegetable oil) Fabman is one of the leaders of the Biodiesel on this forum. If you want to run WVO you need to convert your Diesel engine to run on it. It’s best to have a two tank system. One tank for the WVO and one for Diesel. I start on Diesel and when the engine is up to operating temp I switch to WVO. Before I stop I switch back to Diesel. If you have any questions just ask and someone will have a good answer.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Upcamper
Junior User
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

So what will it take $$ wise to realistically get going with this?? I have a free source for veg oil, my brother owns a restaurant and says its all mine if I want it. Also he uses canola oil mostly due to all of the hub-bub over trans-fats, will that make a difference?

What is the breakdown? as in how many gallons of cooking oil makes how amny gallons of fuel??

Do most of you guys run two tanks like willbd? How and who or where could I get another tank installed? sounds like to big a job for me!!

And I guess what I really need to know is if it's worth all of the time and effort?? I have people telling me thats its not worth it and it messes up your engine and voids any warrenty.

thanks in advance for the info guys.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
The cost depends on how you go about it.

If you want to run BioDiesel the start up cost is relatively low, $200 to $300 will get you going, but there is an ongoing production cost, about $1 per gal.

If you chose to run straight WVO the start up cost is high, as much as $3000 to convert a truck, and the ongoing cost is very low a little electricity and some filter elements from time to time.

You will find those that advocate blends, mixtures of WVO and various other liquid hydrocarbons. If you chose this method realize it is an absolute crap shoot you are gambling the life of your engine to save a few bucks. I for one will not take that gamble. They will tell you about friends they know that have run a mix of WVO and whatever for eons and have had no problem. That is anecdotal evidence not good scientific evidence and scienctific facts do not support their theories. I have a 4 year post grad degree with a minor in biochemistry. I will not run blends in my truck.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
The cost depends on how you go about it.

If you want to run BioDiesel the start up cost is relatively low, $200 to $300 will get you going, but there is an ongoing production cost, about $1 per gal.

If you chose to run straight WVO the start up cost is high, as much as $3000 to convert a truck, and the ongoing cost is very low a little electricity and some filter elements from time to time.

You will find those that advocate blends, mixtures of WVO and various other liquid hydrocarbons. If you chose this method realize it is an absolute crap shoot you are gambling the life of your engine to save a few bucks. I for one will not take that gamble. They will tell you about friends they know that have run a mix of WVO and whatever for eons and have had no problem. That is anecdotal evidence not good scientific evidence and scienctific facts do not support their theories. I have a 4 year post grad degree with a minor in biochemistry. I will not run blends in my truck.
Phy,

Are you saying you wouldn't run the homemade Bio in your rig because of the mixes? Or are you saying you wouldn't run WVO?

Just trying to feel out your thoughts on which is better.....I'm looking for a IDI now to tinker with.

thanks

Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knowing Phydeaux from his past responses, I'd say he's saying he will not run a blend because wvo and #2 are different specific gravities. What that means is that given enough time, they will separate, and eventually, your truck will be running on almost 100% wvo- which can hurt on start-ups, cold wvo will coke up your injectors and such, causing problems. I have mixed #2 and wvo in a small jar and it sat for three days before I dumped it in my tank, and it never showed a sign of separating. I myself will still go by what the experts say- either run a truck converted for wvo, or run bio, but no blends. But to each his own, ya know?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Mongo pretty much got it right. I dont trust blends of WVO and any other fuel.

I will run BD/#2 blends in any concentration because they are totally miscible (specific gravity, molecular weigh, molecular size, and molecular polarity very similar)

I agree completely with the concept of convert the truck and run straight WVO or run Bio.

BTW I hear the IDI engines are much more forgiving than DI like the Powerstroke.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
OK, I had read your post a bunch of times and was getting confused.

I didn't realize guys were taking WVO and mixing it with #2 or whatever.

Guys round here either run filtered WVO, or they brew bio and run that.

I hadn't heard of a mixed WVO deal until now.

I found a SWEET 92 IDI 5 speed w/all receipts locally. Really cherry rig. Now I just have to sell my gasser so I can pick it up.

Back on topic.

For my clarification, when you say #2 and WVO as a mix, you are talking about mixing and running the two from one tank.....right?

In my mind a rig with the reg tanks holding Bio, for stops and starts, then a transfer tank for WVO would be the ticket.

Am I on the right track as this is the prefered method for WVO?

I am still easily talked into a corner, I've been reading up on all this stuff.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
That is a funny and interesting way to go about that. Run a start/stop biodiesel tank and wvo tank and switch..ha ha ha the oil companies would be ping mad at that. Homemade bio a buck, wvo for running priceless (junk). Talk about reducing your cost even more. Our sponser here should get a chuckle from that idea. Good one Bigguns.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Hell, with the two tanks you have in the early diesels, that's exactly what I'd be doing!

Quick Reply: Homemade fuel???