New diesel whip

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Jacob Fulce
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New diesel whip

New whip
Howdy, just got a new 92 f250 7.3l Idi with a banks sidewinder installed. It's my first diesel so I'm trying to get savvy on this engine and keep it in good shape. Also interested in what's required to "roll coal" and good performance upgrades. I appreciate all feedback, tips and tricks.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:20 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob Fulce
New whip
Howdy, just got a new 92 f250 7.3l Idi with a banks sidewinder installed. It's my first diesel so I'm trying to get savvy on this engine and keep it in good shape. Also interested in what's required to "roll coal" and good performance upgrades. I appreciate all feedback, tips and tricks.
Welcome. I am sure you will grow to love the truck.

Now as far as "Rolling coal", it's not really a good idea. The black smoke is simply unburnt fuel so doing so reduces your economy and raises your EGT's. So if your goal is a bunch of black smoke, you may want to rethink it.

As far as performance goes, there are quite a few options and it just depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Larger turbo piping and a free flowing exhaust is a good place to start. Then, if you have an EGT gauge, you can start turning up the fuel. Just make sure that you aren't going to melt your pistons under load. You may blow some black smoke prior to the turbo spooling up, but after that it should be pretty clean. An inter-cooler and CAI will allow you to add more fuel and help keep EGT's down.

Before any of this though you need to make sure the truck has all the maintenance up to date.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Jacob Fulce
New User
Thank you. Well I'm blessed enough for money to be good right now so I plan on building a clean machine. I have a turbo installed and only an Exaust temp gauge but I will look to make sure its properly installed. I'm interested in the banks monster single exhaust which apparently compliments the so swimmer system. Thoughts on that?

Old 08-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Jacob Fulce
New User
Sorry sidewinder* system

Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Jacob Fulce
New User
Also Im curious as to what temp I should keep it under, I don't tow anything for the most part so it all around town and freeway travel

Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I try to keep it under 1000-1100; Usually you won't hit that unless you're towing.
You will probably want to turn up the fuel a bit -- google how to up the fuel on a 7.3 idi.
You basically turn it up a flat or so at a time until it smokes a bit at higher revs under full acceleration, then back it off a flat or so. 1 flat = 1/6th of a revolution of the fuel screw, or 1 flat on the 5/32 hex wrench used to adjust it.

edit:
As far as banks exhaust... don't worry about it. Get your local muffler shop to fab you up some 3" pipe from the bottom of the turbo down pipe(if you don't already have it), and use a flow-through muffler if you can. Less muffler = more power. Some even run straight-pipe, but that can get loud, and depends on whether you are in a place that frowns on that sort of thing.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Jacob Fulce
New User
Thanks very much! Like I said its my first diesel so I'm as green as they come. All advice is welcome!

Old 08-14-2015, 11:52 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob Fulce
New whip
Welcome

Here is another thing on rolling coal. The EPA and several states are considering an additional 5 k fine for anyone caught doing it. The reason I said additional is if they wanted to they could impose the fine for tampering with emmisions equipment.

Consider for a moment the Image it paints of all diesel trucks

Old 08-15-2015, 03:18 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
idiperformance.com

For exhaust im going with diamond eye, like $490 shipped for dual 4" stainless.

1200* is the max safe temp for any extended amount of time.

With the sidewinder and a pyro, order up a new 90cc IP or crank yours and have it timed. You can pull the top and governor assembly, or go through the side traingle plate. Have to rotate the engine until the 5/32 allen head fuel screw is visible. Turn it until it stops to max it. 1/6 turn (flat) will help alot. Most pumps only go 2-4 flats in my experience.

As far as keeping it up, pump and injectors should be replaced together every 100-150k miles and timed correctly. That is why majority of people think IDI's are dogs. When you do injectors get a return line kit of known quality.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,172 Posts
skip the banks exhaust, you can get just as good performance for a lot less money. the down pipe is already 3 inches, so just put 3 inch pipes off the down pipe, and either a low back pressure muffler or no muffler at all. the less back pressure, the faster the turbo spools and the more boost it will make.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Runningaford
Junior User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
idiperformance.com

For exhaust im going with diamond eye, like $490 shipped for dual 4" stainless.

1200* is the max safe temp for any extended amount of time.

With the sidewinder and a pyro, order up a new 90cc IP or crank yours and have it timed. You can pull the top and governor assembly, or go through the side traingle plate. Have to rotate the engine until the 5/32 allen head fuel screw is visible. Turn it until it stops to max it. 1/6 turn (flat) will help alot. Most pumps only go 2-4 flats in my experience.

As far as keeping it up, pump and injectors should be replaced together every 100-150k miles and timed correctly. That is why majority of people think IDI's are dogs. When you do injectors get a return line kit of known quality.

Good stuff, I want to be able to do this to mine within about a year's time. The link is giving me a "The requested page was not found". Is there another link, or thread that goes into detail on replacing IP, and how to correctly set the timing from there? I'd appreciate it

Old 08-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Jacob Fulce
New User
Thanks for all the feedback. Just another thing to throw out there.... I'm looking for a good rwd lift kit. Only about a 2 inch maybe a little more but just interested in what's out there

Old 08-15-2015, 02:54 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru