AOD Slipping Under Hard Acceleration in All Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:31 PM
dirt_bag
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AOD Slipping Under Hard Acceleration in All Gears

Happy Friday everyone! Earlier this week I took my 1988 F150 (5.0L AOD 4x4) to the mechanic for a few issues. Top on the list was a hesitation or bucking sensation under load. This sensation was most prominent on the highway, going up a hill or overtaking when the transmission kicked down out of OD into 3rd. The whole truck would feel like it was surging or lurching until the transmission shifted back up into OD. I was convinced this was an engine problem. Knowing that my vacuum system is not connected properly, and based on some research I had done online, I thought it was an air/fuel problem stemming from EGR, MAP sensor, or other. Well my mechanic informed me that my AOD was 4 quarts low! I am embarrassed to say the least.... I'm no professional, but I have already done a fair amount of work on this truck and other vehicles and I check fluid levels regularly. He believes the bucking sensation was from slippage in the transmission, due to the low fluid level. They topped it off, and it does seem to have helped the issue. You should also know that they replaced my radiator at the same time. Apparently the bottom of the core was completely clogged, so the engine wasn't getting ANY coolant circulation. A cooler engine should help performance too.

Now I am wondering how badly I may have damaged the transmission while driving the truck 4 quarts low... The good news is the truck isn't my daily driver, I only use it on the weekends for hauling mulch, gravel, whatever. I probably only made 3 or 4 hauling trips since I noticed the bucking. What can I do to make the transmission last as long as possible at this point (other than check the fluid level every damn time I drive it!)? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:46 AM
96_F250_Deezal
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4qts low? any external leaks?

pull the fill plug on your transfer case.. I bet the seal has failed and the transfer case is over filled.