6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Help with fuel filter minder

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Help with fuel filter minder

I have a 2015 F250 XLT 6.7 PSD. I bought this truck slightly used and it now has just short of 15,000 on the odometer. Since I am not the original owner, I am changing the fuel filters for a little piece of mind. In the owners manual it states to reset the filter minder. My XLT does not have the interactive display, just the basic one. Does this display have an option to reset the fuel filter minder? I have not received a message to change yet, just want to do it as a precaution. Thanks in advance for educating me on this!!

Old 07-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I am not mistaken you only get the oil life monitor with that level instrument cluster. I have never seen it in there. I am a big fan of using those monitors and reset them for my customers whenever I perform any of the relevant services. I wonder why Ford left that out on those clusters. It's not like couldn't have. Conversely, we can only enable manual regeneration in the low level clusters... but not the message center clusters. GO figure!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what Ford's rational was for that? I would really like to be able initiate a manual regeneration.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Well, if its not in there, no big deal for me. Most people get the change message around 20,000 miles. I am doing it at 15,000 to be safe. If there is nothing to reset, I just didn't want a message come up to change it in another 5,000 miles! It shouldn't come on if there is a sensor for filter restriction I assume.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Originally Posted by CarlT100
I wonder what Ford's rational was for that? I would really like to be able initiate a manual regeneration.
This is a heavily debated topic.

To answer your question, the "rationale" is that the low level instrument cluster is typically found in fleet vehicles or trucks with a lower trim level that are commonly used in vocational applications. A lot of these trucks do a lot of idling and very low average MPH operation and as stationary operation. The aftertreatment systems load up and rarely are given the chance to regen completely. I have several municipal customers and an airport truck that need this functionality. Conversely, performing a manual regen when it is not necessary can potentially be harmful to the catalysts and safety concerns that arise when performing a stationary regen.

In my professional opinion: too many people pay wayyyy too much attention to regens and might unnecessarily perform them when they should not... despite the fact that the on-board option will not allow you to do so unless the system determines it is necessary based on pre-defined parameters. I am sure there are a few people out there that would genuinely benefit from he ability to perform a manual regen but in my opinion, some truck owners really need to remove their monitors and gauges and just drive their flippin trucks.

That cluster is also the only one I have ever seen in F450 and F550 cab and chassis trucks and these have been the only models that I have ever reconfigured the modules to enable this feature.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
This is a heavily debated topic.

To answer your question, the "rationale" is that the low level instrument cluster is typically found in fleet vehicles or trucks with a lower trim level that are commonly used in vocational applications. A lot of these trucks do a lot of idling and very low average MPH operation and as stationary operation. The aftertreatment systems load up and rarely are given the chance to regen completely. I have several municipal customers and an airport truck that need this functionality. Conversely, performing a manual regen when it is not necessary can potentially be harmful to the catalysts and safety concerns that arise when performing a stationary regen.

In my professional opinion: too many people pay wayyyy too much attention to regens and might unnecessarily perform them when they should not... despite the fact that the on-board option will not allow you to do so unless the system determines it is necessary based on pre-defined parameters. I am sure there are a few people out there that would genuinely benefit from he ability to perform a manual regen but in my opinion, some truck owners really need to remove their monitors and gauges and just drive their flippin trucks.

That cluster is also the only one I have ever seen in F450 and F550 cab and chassis trucks and these have been the only models that I have ever reconfigured the modules to enable this feature.

Good post. Thanks Keith. I want to take good care of my truck, but I want to believe the computer will take care of things like regens. Also, I watched a guy do a manual regen on YouTube, and it took a while, and burned almost 1/4 tank of fuel. No thanks. I'd rather take it out and run it hard if I think it needs one.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:02 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Keith, for a very good answer. I am not a worry wart. When I am home, I don't drive my truck much. When I do, it is usually for short suburban trips. And I get incomplete regens. About the time one starts, I am two or three miles from the house and shutting the truck down. I don't worry about it on trips. It takes care of itself.

Reps sent.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Originally Posted by 22rimfire
Good post. Thanks Keith. I want to take good care of my truck, but I want to believe the computer will take care of things like regens.
That is what Ford (and I am sure the other manufacturers) want - is for the active regeneration process to be as little noticed and of concern to the driver as possible. Your PCM not only controls when it happens but also monitors the system for malfunctions so in theory it should be of little concern. Its the malfunctions that have been the problem... if only a more robust/reliable exhaust gas temperature sensor could be made I think a lot of the worries and especially the problems that we read a lot about would greatly diminish. If I was the owner of one of these trucks I suppose I too would have concerns so I hope nobody takes any of my posts the wrong way.

Originally Posted by 22rimfire
Also, I watched a guy do a manual regen on YouTube, and it took a while, and burned almost 1/4 tank of fuel. No thanks. I'd rather take it out and run it hard if I think it needs one.
Most of the time when I perform a manual regen whether its on a Power Stroke 6.4L or 6.7L in a Super Duty or a Cummins 6.7L in a medium duty truck it takes about 20 minutes or less. It will not burn a 1/4 tank of fuel. Not even close. And if a manual regen takes an extremely long time or does use an unusual amount of fuel something is wrong. Very wrong.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlT100
Thanks, Keith, for a very good answer. I am not a worry wart. When I am home, I don't drive my truck much. When I do, it is usually for short suburban trips. And I get incomplete regens. About the time one starts, I am two or three miles from the house and shutting the truck down. I don't worry about it on trips. It takes care of itself.

Reps sent.
X2 Keith ! ^^^^^
My Rep gun is broke, so I will hop in here.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:00 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I got him for you Tim!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Thanks, Doug !