1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear parking sensors not working right

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rear parking sensors not working right

80% of the time my parking sensors are always on, like something is behind the truck. 20% of the time they work just fine.

I replaced all 4 sensors today with ones off ebay and I get the same thing.

Anything else I can try before I have to take it to the dealer?

The originals and my new ones all clicked when I put my ear up to them.

WTF!

Thanx for any help.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Bought more sensors just to make sure any of the new ones weren't bad. No dice.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 AM
f250mtnbikr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would reset the connector(s) going to the Parking Aid Module just to rule out a flaky connection.

I would assume your 2011 has this module.

I have a 2009 and mine is located down at the driver's kick panel. It is where the speaker is also on mine.

Good luck,

Tom

Old 07-15-2015, 09:52 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Found the module. On my 2011, it's under steering wheel, above the parking brake. Reconnecting wiring didn't do anything. Left it unplugged for now. Might try to find a used one to swap it with.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the connectors at the sensors and where the bumper harness plugs into the chassis harness. Look for water and or corrosion. Lightly WD40 before reassembly. Water messed with my 08 sensors. They would do what your experiencing when wet. My 11 has them but not hooked up yet because I couldn't get anyone to tell me where the module lived in an 11, not even FORD! So thanks for the location! Now hopefully the connectors there or I just spent a bunch on a bumper, a harness and a module.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:01 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Thanks. I think you're probably right, something to do with the harness. I'll remove the spare tire and get up there and see what I can find out.

Spraying wd40 on the connector fixed yours?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Mtncrash1
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I assume you're having this issue when in reverse. Do you keep a wd hitch in the receiver all the time? The reason I ask is that with mine a normal draw bar and ball is fine however, when I have my wd hitch in as soon as I put it in reverse the sensors start going off.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Don't keep my hitch in. Yes, does it reverse and beeps like something is back there when there isn't. When I unplugged the connector into the module under the dash, the RPA Active displayed all the time on my radio and I couldn't listen to any music. Had to plug it back in.

I'm going to play with the wiring harness under the rear bumper next.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes the WD40 cured it for me. Dont know how long it lasted as I traded it in about 3 months afterwards. Die-Electric grease will do the same thing and likely last a lot longer. I did the WD just to see if it would fix it.
Poker what is RPA Active mean? What the hell would the back up assist have to do with the radio? Doesn't the beep come from the module under the steering column? Do you have the high end dash with the back up camera etc...?
Im trying to hook my assist module up where one never existed. I do know I need to go to stealership and have the computer force fed data one line at at a time, ridiculous! Thats if the daughter harness is even there! Had I known this upfront I would never have attempted to add this option.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
When the backup sensors come on, it kills the radio so you can focus on what's behind you (i guess). It displays "RPA Active" on the LCD. I have the basic Sync system, small green LCD.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Kafn8td
Junior User
Glad I found this. I just bought a '12 KR. My driveway has a slight slope to it and as I back into the street the sensors beep. As soon as the front is lower than the rear they turn off and then they go off randomly for no reason that I can figure.

My wife has learned to ignore it already, but I'm a tinkerer and would like to see if I can figure it out. I pulled the sensors from one side and flipped it with the other side with the same results. My next fix was to buy some from ebay, but I don't think that will fix it. Thoughts?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 AM
nagetech
Tuned
I had some issues with my '11 250 and the sensors. When I purchased the truck the sensors weren't working, no biggie. I purchased some sensors off ebay (not originals) and all was well in the world. Well...few months later, again they worked randomly. Sometimes I'd backup and no issue, sometimes I'd go in reverse with 0 behind me and the sensors would beep like crazy. I removed the sensors, cleaned the contacts, used grease in them everything, no difference. My conclusion is the cheap china sensors have failed me and I now have 4 new ford original sensors sitting in my garage waiting for me to install. I'm 99% confident that will fix my issue.

Moral of the story : cheap china knock offs always buy you in the *** with these trucks, wehther it be sensors, or COP's or whatever!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
I gave up. Works 50% of the time, other 50% it annoys me.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:05 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Were any of the sensors your purchased originals or knock offs?

My knock offs clicked as well, but were going nuts like I had mentioned before.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:38 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Here's a tip I can share to try and isolate the backup sensors when you have them flaking on you 50% of the time (which was my exact issue).

Even when you got Ford parts, you never know if you may have gotten a bum one, which happens.

1. Put on e-brake
2. pop truck into reverse
3. Go to rear of truck but keep your body away from the back of the truck as to not trip the sensors.
4. With your driver door open so you can hear the beeps start on the driver side and take your hand and cover 1 sensor at a time, immediately the beeping should "flat line" simulating you being really close to something.
5. Do the same for each sensor but making sure you don't block more than one sensor @ a time. I just reached over to get to the inner sensors from each side of the truck.

Now if you test the sensor and the beep isn't a flat line aka it beeps sparadeically, there is the sensor or sensors that is giving you the headache.

When I ordered my 4 new ones, it took me about 30 minutes of troubleshooting this until I figured out the right combo of sensors that worked. I even had to turn the truck off and on a few times just to get the bad sensors to trip up.

Hope that helps someone! I was dealing with the 50/50 working sensors for about a month before I got this all figured out.