Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window rolls down but not up. Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:17 PM
choate
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power window rolls down but not up. Help

Anyone have this problem before? I can hear the motor but just today the window won't go up. I pushed it up by hand while holding the up botton and it felt like was trying to grap or something and luckily it's up. I guess im gonna have to take the entire door panel off and inspect it. Anyone have this happen and know what exactly is the problem?

Old 06-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by choate
Anyone have this problem before?
No.. you are the first one.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
OK.. that was my attempt at humor. Your problem is very common but it's neither hard or expensive to fix.

Here are the parts you need.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Ford-Lincoln-and-Mercury-Power-Window-Motor-Gear-Delrin-Acetal-Bushing-Kit-/400938063277?hash=item5d59c555ad&vxp=mtr
And here is what is wrong...
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...t=mozilla&tt=b

Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM
choate
Elder User
Originally Posted by Conanski
No.. you are the first one.
Effing old trucks man!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:20 PM
choate
Elder User
Originally Posted by Conanski
OK.. that was my attempt at humor. Your problem is very common but it's neither hard or expensive to fix.

Here are the parts you need.. 12 Ford Lincoln and Mercury Power Window Motor Gear Delrin Acetal Bushing Kit | eBay

And here is what is wrong...
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...t=mozilla&tt=b
Didnt expect a real solution that fast. Thanks man!!!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Slomoe
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Window gear repair

Anyone have this problem before? I can hear the motor but just today the window won't go up. I pushed it up by hand while holding the up botton and it felt like was trying to grap or something and luckily it's up. I guess im gonna have to take the entire door panel off and inspect it. Anyone have this happen and know what exactly is the problem?

Start with window up and lock **** off. Remove the screws from the door panel. Lift up on panel and pull door handle up slightly then side panel forward and off. Disconnect electrical. Find something to hold window up; I used a piece of threaded rod w/ a u shaped piece attached to the end. Brace under bottom of window frame. Look for 2 dimples at motor mount, Drill out w/#20 drill then ½” drill to make for much easier removal of bolts. Remove motor and gearbox as one piece with 8mm socket. Cap over gear box has 2 little bent tabs. Straighten them out; remove 3 screws then the cover. You will find the 3 bushings in pieces remove snap ring from center shaft and slide up ring gear and inspect for damage on gears. If gear is good only replace bushing, otherwise replace gear too. Clean all parts good dry fit new parts. Bushing may need to be filed a little on one side. If too tight will create stresses and cause outer gear to crack. (If so, increase the radius on the outside and mark w/ pen so assembly is all the same). They are .500 I cut mine to .480 dia. And .470 on height. Grease motor gear and all parts and reverse procedure for assembly. Don’t forget to replace the snap ring on the shaft. Grease track under window and gear to door and check that the door drains are clear while you are in there. I used red grease on gears and NAPA “Slid-Glide silicone in the felt tracks 3 shots spread w/ q-tip. Other side is most likely bad too, so you may want to repair that side too while you are in there. – Good luck.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 PM
nwjones18
Junior User
On my truck the switch is bad on the 'going up' side for the passenger window.. Something else it could be. Watch the volt meter in the dash while you work the switch.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:49 AM
krooser
Elder User
Your local part house can get these same bushings from Dorman...

Old 06-22-2015, 01:36 PM
choate
Elder User
Originally Posted by nwjones18
On my truck the switch is bad on the 'going up' side for the passenger window.. Something else it could be. Watch the volt meter in the dash while you work the switch.
Now that I think about it the meter jumps around when I use the windows (even when it was working) but I can't remember if one or both causes it to do that. What would I be looking for? I went ahead and orders the plastic bushing last night

EDIT: Just thought of something too. I wonder if it would work if I tried it from the passenger side? I only tried hitting the button for the passenger window from the drivers side. Then that would indicate a bad switch for sure I would think wouldn't it? In other words isn't there two switches for the passenger side window (one on the drivers side button and one on the passenger side button? I guess I need to just try that first, then get it open and look at the bushings

Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 PM
choate
Elder User
Well it all works again tonight lol. I know something is going out though bc now when it rolls up and hits the top it kind of starts slipping or something but it stays all the way up. I think. Btw I will have extra bushings if anybody needs them. I only have 2 windows and will have enough for 4 windows. If someone needs them they are yours

Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pep Boys(and most auto parts places) carries the 3 pucks to repair each motor, in the HELP! brand... They run about $8 a set: you need two. Get some graphite grease as well. REAL easy job to fix...

Scott

Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Well it all works again tonight lol. I know something is going out though bc now when it rolls up and hits the top it kind of starts slipping or something but it stays all the way up. I think. Btw I will have extra bushings if anybody needs them. I only have 2 windows and will have enough for 4 windows. If someone needs them they are yours
If it is slipping the pucks are not correct- it will fail again: I just went through this with home made pucks...

Scott

Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Slomoe
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your Bushings are broken up into chips. The window will work until the broken up chips get too small to grip. Change them now before you need a gear too and maybe even a motor.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 PM
choate
Elder User
Thats exactly what it was. Those bushings were basically dust. I fixed it today. Wow what,a pain in the donkey. Took me quite a while to get it all sorted out but u know what I got it fixed

Btw u dont have to take the handle off and it helps if u have a real strong drill bc u will need to drill up to 1/2 in holes.

The yellow specks are what was left of what the white bushings were in 1993 lol

Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Thats exactly what it was. Those bushings were basically dust. I fixed it today. Wow what,a pain in the donkey. Took me quite a while to get it all sorted out but u know what I got it fixed

Btw u dont have to take the handle off and it helps if u have a real strong drill bc u will need to drill up to 1/2 in holes.

The yellow specks are what was left of what the white bushings were in 1993 lol
I got it down to a ten minute job- I found the EASIEST way to remove that motor, once the holes are drilled for the two screws, is to remove the speaker, and reach through the hole, and grab the motor while removing the screws! (Disconnect the power cable first) Gives you real good control, and comes right out without any fuss at all... Hardest part of the whole thing is removing & reinstalling the door panel...

Scott