1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2002 E150 GVWR Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:15 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E150 GVWR Suspension Issues

2002 Ford E150 Approx 110K Miles 4.2L v6
It's not pretty on the outside, there's rust and it's bad(I live in Michigan too). If the van lasts me 3+ years I'll be happy, but I'm not going to pour tons of $$$ into it unless it's stuff I can take out later and save. I want to be able to transport 2 bikes plus all the gear and such.

I had to replace a lot of rusted stuff on the suspension when I got it at 104k miles, including some beefier shocks. I think I definitively need to get some of the helper springs. GVWR should allow me around 2000 lbs, but when I helped a friend pick up a pallet of 40bags(50lbs each) sand bags(2000lbs) and had it placed in the center of the cargo area in the back, the top of the rear tires were in the wheel hub and the front end was in the air. I drove 10-15mph home on that trip.

2 bikes @ 425 lbs
Fuel, wheels, tires, genny, cooler, canopy, tools, gear and such ~500 lbs?
2 people ~400lbs
misc bs to get to the magic 2000lbs mark

And there it is, the van is immobile and probably won't move more than 15mph again. I haven't gotten a second bike in there yet, but I am worried for when the time comes. I have only had the chance thus far to test it with a single bike. It doesn't seem to squat much with one bike plus gear and a person.

Any ideas? Replace the leaf springs with some ones I find at the junkyard or order some(not sure how expensive they are?)?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you think you overloaded the Van when you put the sand bags in? Or do you think the springs are shot. If the springs are shot I wouldn't suggest adding a supplement suspension system to worn out springs, whether its bags, or a aftermarket helper. That's just my opinion though.

You could always go with a slightly heavier duty setup and fix the problem all together. If you get another vehicle that is the same as the Van than you could even take the springs off and use the same setup in the new Van.

-Junior

Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 AM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Are you a roadracer? I'd guess that except for the plate on your bike.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:01 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I am not understanding why the van is immobile or won't go more than 15 mph. Even with the axle on the bump stops the van should be able to move at normal speeds (although it won't be safe).

I would watch your engine closely for any head gasket or other coolant leaks....the 4.2's are known to fill cylinders with coolant and hydraulic themselves to death. (See WVvan's long thread where he was derailed by a blown up motor.)

If the van is a Michigan rustbucket, I would not invest a lot of money in it, but if you could find either some healthy junkyard springs or find a spring shop to rebuild what you've got, that would make it much safer to drive. The 4.2 will be a real dog with that much weight to pull--my son used to work at a bike (bicycle) shop and they had a 4.2 van that, when filled with treadmills, was a real dog compared to our 4.6 van which he was more accustomed to driving.

Guessing you have a 7000 GVW?

Good luck,
George

Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm SO glad rust isn't an issue where I live. It would kill me to watch my vehicles rot away like that.

When it dies , can you sell me your posi?
oh wait , it won't work on an E250.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 PM
DHuskic
Freshman User
The math is there for the sand so at that weight, it would be extremely close to the GVWR. I'm sure it could have gone faster than 15mph but I did not in any way feel safe moving that van that fast when it was like that. I think the suspension has lost it's bounce and can't handle that kind of weight anymore. Gonna have to go check out the local junkyard here in a few days.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 PM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Originally Posted by seattle smitty
Are you a roadracer? I'd guess that except for the plate on your bike.
I am a roadracer, but I also use my bike as my DD. Couple zip ties for the plate, gopro mounted taillight and headlight.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:32 PM
GreeVan
Senior User
Your springs are shot. I used to carry a CBR600F4 on a Hitch mounted bike carrier with no problems (75-85 mph) on the old springs.
Now I have replaced the springs with HD springs like the ones you can get from ATS and I love them. They are not that expensive. THey will raise your rear quite a bit.

Monroe makes a coilover shock absorver (load leveler or somthing like it) that maybe a good compromise. (I re-read that you put new shock absorvers, then just get new springs)

Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The E150 and the 4.2 is not a heavy duty over the highway vehicle, it's mostly a in town type vehicle.

If your springs are not totally shot another option is to check into Timbren's as an alliterative. I have them on a E350 cube van, and greatly improved the ride, rear sag, and body roll on the highway.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by GreeVan
Monroe makes a coilover shock absorver (load leveler or somthing like it) that maybe a good compromise. (I re-read that you put new shock absorvers, then just get new springs)
We have these on our '93 E150 and they don't compensate for tired springs.

Could all that load have hurt the axle?

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 190K miles

Old 06-12-2015, 02:44 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
I know the 4.2 isn't great for heavy hauling. The van is slow buts gets up to speed. I don't drive more than 70 with it typically just because of all the noise and wiggle. Once it get to speed though it stays there pretty nicely.

My driver's side rear leaf spring shackle broke. $20 part, but 6 some hours to get the rusty bolts out. Gonna go through and replace the remainder of the leaf spring suspension at the end of the month.

Not sure whether I want to try and salvage something from a junkyard or buy one of these sets:

Search Results | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Not sure which is the OEM equivalent. I wanna say mine have 3 leaves on each side, but I don't know what the terminology on that is(whether it's a 2/1 or a 3/1).

Anyone have experience with replacing the leaf spring suspension, I could definitely use your help.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Without offense you need to simply replace the rear leaf springs as a complete set, including any mounting or attaching hardware. It would seem age and abuse have taken their toll on an already too light vehicle suspension. The sand bags probably did the most damage but that wasn't the only reason you have issues now.

ATS Junior can help and possibly supply you with the correct set-up. As you're running now its unsafe, not only to you but those who share the road with you.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:09 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JWA
Without offense you need to simply replace the rear leaf springs as a complete set, including any mounting or attaching hardware. It would seem age and abuse have taken their toll on an already too light vehicle suspension. The sand bags probably did the most damage but that wasn't the only reason you have issues now.

ATS Junior can help and possibly supply you with the correct set-up. As you're running now its unsafe, not only to you but those who share the road with you.
No offense taken! I agree with you and that's what I'm going to do. That's what the link was for, the 3/1 and 4/1 kits can be ordered with hardware to replace everything(1992-2006 Ford E150 Super Duty - Leaf Spring (Rear - 3/1 Leaves) [43-1033] | $78.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts). Which is exactly what I want.

I'll lookup ATS Junior and PM him. Thanks!