Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

A question about front Springs

Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Tater415
New User
Tater415 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A question about front Springs

I own a 2006 Ford e-150 cargo van with standard length and a 4.6 engine. I use this van in my personal business so the van is always loaded down with at least 1,500 lb of tools and equipment. I installed the airbags on the back leaf springs 3 years ago, they worked pretty good but they constantly were losing air.once a week I'd have to refill them. So I took them off pitch them in the trash. I now have 2500 pound helper leaf springs on the rear. These work great, so now I would like to install heavier rated coil springs on the front. Can I install e 350 front Springs? Would this make my ride too harsh? Would they even physically fit? Right now the van has about an inch and a half clearance before the bump stop touches thanks again

Old 07-12-2019, 05:11 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Look into Moog front coil springs---they have a decent customer service phone number where you talk to an actual person about what would work for your particular need. From there cruise Amazon etc for the best price on whatever Mood recommends.

If I have this figured correctly the E150 of your year has the same frame and most of the same front suspension components as found on the E250's & E350's---yes they would fit but might be a bit too stout for good weight handling capability you're probably seeking. Again talk to Moog---tell them of your added helper springs---they might want your current ride height front and rear as things exist now.

HTH

Old 07-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Spaznaut
Elder User
Spaznaut is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you weighed your van loaded? What is the GVW on the door sticker?

Old 07-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Tater415
New User
Tater415 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all your responses, I have not weighed the van fully loaded, but I know it's very heavy I've already worn out the passenger side rear Axle wheel bearing. I realize now that I probably should have purchased a 3/4 ton or 1 ton version back in 2008. but I never intended for it to be a work van. I purchased it 2 Haul motorcycles to go to the races on weekends. But when the economy went in the toilet I lost my job and went in business for myself

Old 07-13-2019, 04:32 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Indeed the door sticker would be a good starting point especially if you're loading this E150 as you say. The weak link might be the rear axle, heavy rear helper springs only adding to the woes of potential axle failure.

As you've already observed this van is a bit under sized and perhaps under powered for your current needs. Running my own '03 E250 extended body it went from 5,300# when new-to-me and completely empty to just over 7,600# as its now configured and loaded as a daily driver. I've rebuilt the entire front suspension, added new leaves in the rear springs, have Air-Lift air bags in place, Hellwig anti-sway bars front & rear along with urethane suspension bushings and Bilstein shocks. Even with all those improvements I would benefit from an E350 chassis if only for the stronger duty rear axle and higher rated suspension.

If possible post an image of your door sticker, obscure the VIN if you can---that helps protect your personal privacy if that's of any concern.

HTH

Old 07-13-2019, 05:21 AM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Heavily changing your entire suspension can lead to unexpected safety problems. Youíre admittedly doing it without much knowledge.

I think you should get a different van. E350ís are out there; ready for you to buy. And if your e150 is decent condition then it will be a real blessing to whomever you sell it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.