Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AutoEnginuity Giotto - FAIL!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Y2KW57 Not worried about codes, trying to figure out cold erratic engine miss. Not that cold, just not up to operating temps.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:26 PM
sgarder
Senior User
The main thing is I am trying to make a decision to bite the bullet on AE or try to find an alternative (if there is any), Older Snap on, Routunda, something that I may be able to graph, and understand. If snap on or routunda I need specific part numbers.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I'm with Y2K on the issue of your buddys Snap-on Tool....It will probably be cheaper to get the software update for it. That tool does work for our trucks , a lot of guys here use them. He can steer you in the right direction for that device. As far as mine.....The tool has Live graphing, and you can line graph up to 8 PID's at a time and save them for later diagnosing. Well on V13 It displays all 8 individual runs real time, but after you save it to a file, Trace number 3 will not replay. The data is there, it just doesn't play back. Not a big deal, and they fixed it in V13.01, but you lose the "Save sessions" button for some stupid reason...If I were you, I'd look into updating the Snapon Tool and compare $$$$. He already knows how it works. Ae has a Moderate Learning Curve....Time is money. Good Luck.

P.S. There is a thread aways back called "AE Class in session" Tugly's the instructor. He knows more about this software thru trial and error than anybody here( I think) go thru that thread also, it'll cut your learning curve in half.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 PM
sgarder
Senior User
What concerns me is that he is asking me if I have a scantool that does the graphing because his snap-on will not. And if I need to invest in the AE to troubleshoot my own vehicle because he is not able to. And what is my best path to take.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Do you have a laptop with Win 7 or older? Legacy AE will take care of you. Giotto has a number of wonky PIDs on our Jurassic trucks, not just ABS. If you can log accurate data with Torque Pro, AE, Snap-On, or a really fast note taker - it can be graphed by other means.

The PID 3D development team is getting ready to release (on a very limited basis) a beta version of software that automatically graphs PID logs. If the right PIDS are in the log, the HPOI formula kicks in and gives you an evaluation of your HPO performance.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:55 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
If that's the case, then AE will enable you to datalog your vehicles issues. It doesn't pop up and point at a part and say "Thats the reason for your pain!" It's a diagnostic tool, and if your buddy has the code manual available from ford you are well on your way. It will also work for All Ford vehicles up to 2015.So you will be a new best friend to all your fellow Ford owners...

Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Is there any update to this? I saw in the latest release notes:

Ford-family
• Fixed Fiesta 15MY OCM Passenger Weight Reset not working
Fixed DTC BCodes missing some entries with last update

(emphasis mine)

I have v10.0.0, which works fine on my X. I've picked up a '14 Jeep JKURX, and was thinking of buying the FCA AE package to set tire sizes and other things, rather than buying a Jeep-specific calibration tool. I'm not interested in messing up what I'm doing on my Excursion, though.

Mark

Old 04-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
That sounds like the experience I had when I called back on Nov of 2013... They could care less about supporting what I had just paid $600 for....

I see snapon scanners for sale all the time on Craigslist. Might be time to pick one up.

OR, help torque catchup with bidirectional scanning....
well if that is the case, then I will have a whole plethora of info to add to the Torque FAQ!! would be nice, but as stated our trucks are compairitive to windows 98...as for the Snapon scanners, hmmm guess its time to take a look...

Old 04-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I suspect 10.0 is good up to a certain point, I doubt they changed OBDII protocols since 10 was sold... unless Italy (Fiat) is having a go at us.

I'd contact AE and see if the Jeep expansion would work on that model year. I bought the Toyota expansion for my 2007 P'us.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:29 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
AutoEnginuity 14.1.1 Update

I installed AE 14.1.1 update this week.

Some info:

1. You can now REMOVE toolbars and panels (yeah!). I can now fit all 9 monitored PIDs on my mini laptop screen now

2. You can change the font sizes

3. Connectivity- seems better, no problems yet

4. The select vehicle detail (year, model, etc) dialog box seems to work better now. It was really jumpy and hard to use in a previous version.

Quirks:

1. When you change your communications parameters from OBDII to Non-OBD/PWM1850 or back, you MUST RESTART THE PROGRAM FOR IT TO WORK!!!

I confirmed this with AE last week. I have been using this for about a decade and NEVER KNEW THIS! Apparently, it has to load the other features, which it only does at startup.

2. I was in the hybrid electronic cluster and used the 'Activation' module (bottom of screen when in this system, looks like info but upon clicking opens up options to activate within that screen), I tried something simple- Turn on Brake light.

It wouldn't turn off, no matter selecting Off, restarting program, power cycle of truck, etc. I had to put the emergency brake on and release it for it to go out. This may be a quirk of my 2002 Excursion, but mentioning it.

3. If you are in a Non-OBDII connection configuration (ie 7.3's), and you go to see the About screen, version screen, whatever, it will report the adapter is not found or something to that effect. Apparently it can only talk to the adapter properly in OBDII mode in these screens.

Useless for troubleshooting, unless you switch to OBDII mode, restart the computer, then enter the screens.

Why did I do this? My last update was issued with the WRONG activation codes. Email-based tech support was WORTHLESS, so I was on the phone and learned about these quirks.

4. Cannot pull door unlock code. Only shows "1" when retrieving it, though it seems proud to have done it and thinks it did its job. Maybe because I have tunes that disable PATS?

More troubleshooting info:

The Proline VCI USB version connector has two boards inside. Occasionally their connection is compromised. You are not allowed to open it (voids warranty), but if you plug into it with your USB and see lights, but not when you plug into truck without USB to computer and don't see lights...or reversed, this could be your problem.

Old Versions:

Even though I was told last year that AE does NOT keep or provide old versions of software (I also have a much older serial adapter), that is in fact, UNTRUE! The DO and WILL PROVIDE older versions of software as necessary.

That's about as far as I've gone with this version so far. Seems stable enough so far.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:51 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Has been pretty stable for me also, I have gone a little more OCD with it and Burned individual copies of each version, just in case I get another Bug Bomb, and I can switch back. And as far as getting newer model year, they are pretty good with the Twice a year updates. actually, they've done around 6 bug and MY updates so far since V13 came out.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:56 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by coax9952
Has been pretty stable for me also, I have gone a little more OCD with it and Burned individual copies of each version, just in case I get another Bug Bomb, and I can switch back. And as far as getting newer model year, they are pretty good with the Twice a year updates. actually, they've done around 6 bug and MY updates so far since V13 came out.
Bringing this thread back because I just bought Giotto Version 18.3.43 with the Enhanced Mercedes for my Sprinter. I have a question about the updates, the Enhanced Mercedes package is fairly slim on functions, mostly codes and live data but no onboard tests or adaptations. Do the updates ever add additional functions to your existing vehicles? I would like the ability for things like NOX sensor adaptation, air filter sensor adaptation etc. Is it possible that certain functions are not available till the 10 year mark just like a lot of after market parts?
As a side note they offered to upgrade my old version (7.3) to use in the new program but I'd have to surrender my old OBD connector AND I would lose the ABS bleed function, so I kept the old version for the Ford and will just leave it on my antique Acer running Win XP.
As another side note I really miss the "saved session" function on the new software. There is at least one website advertising AE claiming you can save a session but it must be incorrect.