Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Black Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:03 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Fuel Filter

I've read here that a black fuel filter is possibly a sign of problems. My fuel filter has been black for a number of changes. Just the outer filter. Here's a photo:

Should I be going into diagnosis mode over this?

I don't have excessive oil consumption - maybe a qt or infrequently two over a 5,000 mile change interval.

PS.

Is there some way to set the size of an uploaded image? I don't see [img] tages in the editor.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:19 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-14-2015, 02:31 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Some other posts on this topic.
Let me google that for you

Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How many miles between changes? Run any biodiesel? Do you have any problems or symptoms other than the black outer filter?

If not, I wouldn't worry about anything. Keep an eye on the inner pleated filter. If it is getting black, then it's time to either shorten the change interval or look at possible injector o-ring issues.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:18 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
I've done some searches.

Many times people seem to have issues with oil consumption. I don't have an oil consumption issue. Also the inner filter isn't black, just the outer. I don't know if that means anything or not.

I saw a few references that said it might be something growing in the fuel. But only a few references.

I have a water bottle full of fuel drained from the filter, would the fuel and oil separate over a few weeks if that was the issue?

Is there a way to run out an o-ring leak with autoenginuity or something? Wouldn't oil pressure suffer?

Does it make sense to drain the fuel bowel and send it to someone like Blackstone labs for analysis to see if there's oil in it?

Old 03-14-2015, 06:09 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by F350-6
How many miles between changes?
6500 on that filter.

Run any biodiesel?
Never.

Do you have any problems or symptoms other than the black outer filter?
No, I just recently saw some references to black fuel filters and wanted to see if a recurring black filter is cause for action.

If not, I wouldn't worry about anything. Keep an eye on the inner pleated filter. If it is getting black, then it's time to either shorten the change interval or look at possible injector o-ring issues.
The pleated part doesn't appear black. Here's a photo of the outer side:

And the inner side:

Wouldn't oil impregnate itself through the pleated filter - or even clog/gunk it up?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you purchase your fuel from the same station most of the time?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Yes, most of the time from the same station. Although I'm pretty sure the outer filter was black when I mostly bought from a different station too.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:14 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Seems pretty dark for 6,500 miles, but then again, I've never changed one that soon so maybe mine gets that way too.

I don't think you've got any oil issues to worry about. I take it you haven't done the in tank mods? There's a chance that your fuel pick up foot is disintegrating and that's leaving the black residue. There's also a chance that the stations are mixing in biodiesel at the pump. Many pumps around here state something like 5% biodiesel.

The pleated part of the filter is what you need to be concerned with. Yours still looks fine.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most probable issue would come from the Injector O-Rings. I see you've replaced those. If the micro particle of whatever the black stuff is larger that the rating of the exterior pre-filter, you wouldn't necessarily see it on the primary filter element as it would be blocked.

The fuel you drained should separate over time. If it's bio it will get cloudy if you keep it warm (room temperature) and the top off in a week or so.

What I would suggest, since your seeing no additional issues, would be to use a fuel additive for a few tanks and add a fuel biocide as well.

Inspect in 5k miles and see if there is an improvement.

Another option is to send that sample off for a spectroanalysis which will return everything in the fuel to include biocides, oil, water, inert break down, etc. Although, I would definitely put this off until you've tried the Diesel Cleaner and Anti Biocide.

Edit: There are some pastes on the market which change color to indicate different contaminates. Any over the road repair facility should have some or steer you in a direction to get some.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:17 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would not get upset over this unless your truck is showing other failure symptoms.
Change the filter and move on.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:49 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by whitetmw
The most probable issue would come from the Injector O-Rings. I see you've replaced those.
I have not replaced the injector o-rings.

The fuel you drained should separate over time. If it's bio it will get cloudy if you keep it warm (room temperature) and the top off in a week or so.
I've had it sitting in the garage (cold with the cap on). Does the cap off and the warm temp just speed up the separation?

What I would suggest, since your seeing no additional issues, would be to use a fuel additive for a few tanks and add a fuel biocide as well.

Inspect in 5k miles and see if there is an improvement.
I'll look for a biocide, what's the purpose of the additive as well?

Another option is to send that sample off for a spectroanalysis which will return everything in the fuel to include biocides, oil, water, inert break down, etc. Although, I would definitely put this off until you've tried the Diesel Cleaner and Anti Biocide.
To a place like Blackstone Labs - similar to the ~$25 oil analysis?

Edit: There are some pastes on the market which change color to indicate different contaminates. Any over the road repair facility should have some or steer you in a direction to get some.
Thanks, sounds interesting, I'll look into that some more.

Originally Posted by dn29626
I would not get upset over this unless your truck is showing other failure symptoms.
Change the filter and move on.
I'm not upset. The filter has been black for the last 3 or 4 changes if not longer. Since it's now officially not a one time deal I figure I better do something about it. I'd hate to get stranded 1,000 miles from home in the summer because I neglected to follow up on the black fuel filter.