6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM is gone...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:48 AM
onequicksportster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FICM is gone...

Well I guess it's time for FICM, Went to start the truck 2 mornings ago not plugged in, and FICM volts were 35... After truck started to warm up they came back to 48, but I realize its time to visit Ed at FICM repair.. I'm thinking of going ahead and getting a 190amp DC alternator from him also.. What do you all think? Is 190amp big enough.. I don't run anything on the truck, IE Stereo's and such..

Old 03-02-2015, 03:11 AM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
A 190 will do you and maybe over kill but it won't hurt either. Get the Atlas 40 tune as well. I love the Atlas 40 and may not ever put my programmer back in again. B.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:17 AM
onequicksportster
Senior User
Originally Posted by LindenBruce
A 190 will do you and maybe over kill but it won't hurt either. Get the Atlas 40 tune as well. I love the Atlas 40 and may not ever put my programmer back in again. B.

Can you really tell a big difference in the atlas 40? I have been trying to figure out which program would suit me.. I do haul a 10,000 lbs camper in the summer..

Old 03-02-2015, 06:07 AM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Yes you can. But you might want to do the Atlas 80 AND remove your SCT tuner. Talk to Ed at ficm repair. Those flash programmers work their majic via timing strategies which can lead to higher combustion temps and pressures contributing to head gasket failure as I under stand it. B.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 PM
onequicksportster
Senior User
Yep im going to have to give him a call this week.. I hope after getting FICM, alternator, and batteries, along with the long list of work Ive already had done to the truck I will be good to go for a very long time...

Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 PM
onequicksportster
Senior User
Ok now I'm leaning towards the DC Power 185 alternator, would I have to replace the wiring also? Or would the stock wiring be good enough?

Old 03-03-2015, 04:09 AM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Here is what I understand. While the glow plug circuit is running when u first start the engine there is no charging voltage to the batteries. So all of your trucks electrical system is drawing power from the batteries all the while the batteries are not getting anything from the alternator. As I understand it.

So, you really need to run a heavy gauge cable directly FROM your alternator to your passenger battery WITH a fuse as close to the alternator as possible. Most guys also run a cable to the driverside battery as well. That way your batts and electrical system is getting 14ish volts right after starting regardless of what the GP circuit is doing. B.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:04 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by onequicksportster
Ok now I'm leaning towards the DC Power 185 alternator, would I have to replace the wiring also? Or would the stock wiring be good enough?
I'd be interested to hear Ed's opinion of the 185 vs the 190, and doing wiring before, concurrently, or after the alternator upgrade.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM
onequicksportster
Senior User
Here is what I understand. While the glow plug circuit is running when u first start the engine there is no charging voltage to the batteries. So all of your trucks electrical system is drawing power from the batteries all the while the batteries are not getting anything from the alternator. As I understand it.

So, you really need to run a heavy gauge cable directly FROM your alternator to your passenger battery WITH a fuse as close to the alternator as possible. Most guys also run a cable to the driverside battery as well. That way your batts and electrical system is getting 14ish volts right after starting regardless of what the GP circuit is doing. B.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured... Just wondering how quickly I would have to do this, or if maybe it could wait a little longer on the cables.. My truck is out of service as we speak, because as soon as I seen 35 volts, I put it in the garage..

Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 PM
onequicksportster
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I'd be interested to hear Ed's opinion of the 185 vs the 190, and doing wiring before, concurrently, or after the alternator upgrade.

Yep.. I'm hoping he will see this tread, and hopefully reply with what he would recommend .. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, but if the new cables are not really needed, then I'd rather save the 110.00..

Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Nitrodude
Senior User

Coming from a car audio background...
YES you should upgrade your battery wires. Even with a stock alternator upgrading wires can help your voltage.
I'd do atleast 4 gauge, 1/0 is best but overkill.

Fusing towards the alternator side is pointless, or fusing at all.
Both sides are supplying power, so if that wire gets crushed while the truck is running it'll still melt that wire-either using battery power or alternator power, it'll still melt.

If you upgrade your power wires-upgrade your grounds!!
I would do 4g from alt, to both batteries +, 4g between each battery, 4g from each battery negative to chassis, and 4g from that same chassis ground to the body.
Grind body and chassis down to bare clean metal.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
And on the ground spots, use dielectric grease to stop corrosion so you keep good contact. And tape a penny to each battery so that the penny corrodes and not your new battery cables.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
You understand incorrectly.

Josh