1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Rough start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Rough start?

Went to start my truck up about 3 hours ago to take my ol' lady to work. Turned it over and acted like the usual cold start. Well soon as I thought it was good to let the engine spin, it got to about 300-400 RPM and then died. So I shut the vent off and turned my head lights off (turned them on soon as I thought it was good), spun the engine again and when it hesitated once again I gave it some gas like you would on a carb (not pumping just gave it half throttle or so) brought up the engine to about 3K and it ran just fine.

I'm not sure if its the fuel filter (no idea when the last time my dad even bothered to change it since he has done most of the work on it in the time we've had it) or if the fuel pump is going out for the 3rd time in the last 10 years. The last time the fuel pump went it was a bad Walker fuel pump. It was promptly replaced with a Bosch and has been going strong for the last 8 years or so.

If it is the fuel pump, my guess is either my dad is going to junk it or fix it. With it getting close to 260K miles its becoming warn out and showing its age. Been pretty dependable and will do just about anything you ask and it'll do it even if it takes a long time to get going. But I don't think he wants to drop another $350 on a brand new fuel pump.

The fuel lines are pretty rusty so if its the filter chances are we'll have to put in a new section of fuel line in. Its probably running close to 135K miles on it since it was last done. I've only started doing maintenance on it the last 6 years or so for the most part.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:26 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Went to start my truck up about 3 hours ago to take my ol' lady to work. Turned it over and acted like the usual cold start. Well soon as I thought it was good to let the engine spin, it got to about 300-400 RPM and then died. So I shut the vent off and turned my head lights off (turned them on soon as I thought it was good), spun the engine again and when it hesitated once again I gave it some gas like you would on a carb (not pumping just gave it half throttle or so) brought up the engine to about 3K and it ran just fine.

I'm not sure if its the fuel filter (no idea when the last time my dad even bothered to change it since he has done most of the work on it in the time we've had it) or if the fuel pump is going out for the 3rd time in the last 10 years. The last time the fuel pump went it was a bad Walker fuel pump. It was promptly replaced with a Bosch and has been going strong for the last 8 years or so.

If it is the fuel pump, my guess is either my dad is going to junk it or fix it. With it getting close to 260K miles its becoming warn out and showing its age. Been pretty dependable and will do just about anything you ask and it'll do it even if it takes a long time to get going. But I don't think he wants to drop another $350 on a brand new fuel pump.

The fuel lines are pretty rusty so if its the filter chances are we'll have to put in a new section of fuel line in. Its probably running close to 135K miles on it since it was last done. I've only started doing maintenance on it the last 6 years or so for the most part.

If it is starting with a partial throttle applied...then I would sooner suspect the IAC needing good cleaning or replacing.

If you have replaced the fuel pump I kinda doubt it is that...haven't heard too much bad about the Bosch...certainly a new fuel filter couldn't hurt. The best way to really tell if the fuel pump is going south is to test the fuel pressure.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Here's the ironic part, it only happened the one time yesterday. This morning and just over an hour ago, it started right up with no issues. I'll look at the IAC and see about the fuel filter. I know the fuel economy sucks badly (usually average about 10-12 but getting 8.5-10 mpg). The last couple days have been pretty cold but when it was colder this winter for several days straight with out starting it during that period, it would start up...with a bad battery. But I'll check up on all of that see what I can do for it.