2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline Additives: Are They Useful, or Are They Snake Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:55 AM
TomBrooklyn2
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gasoline Additives: Are They Useful, or Are They Snake Oil?

For the 2006 Ford 4.6L engine in particular; but all automotive engines in general, are gas additives useful or helpful, particularly in high mileage vehicles?

I'm particularly interested in:

1. Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant
2. Sea Foam Motor Treatment
2. Chevron Techron Concentrate

Do you use any of those, or any other gas additives?

Which one(s)?

What benefits, if any, did you notice?

Did you get better mileage, power, or acceleration after using the gas additive?

If so, is that based on a general feeling or perception that the vehicle performed better; or did you actually measure the performance difference? How carefully and accurately did you measure it? How did you go about making the measurements?

The Ford manual for the 2006 F-150 says: "It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket products to your fuel tank if you continue to use high quality fuel of the recommended octane rating."

Old 02-13-2015, 08:41 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All manufacturers say that; how could they say otherwise, that you may need fuel or oil additives to enjoy the longest trouble-free operation of the vehicle? That's what you're after, not really a boost in performance or fuel mileage but extending the trouble-free life of the vehicle. For example, I'm in a mandated E10 zone, so I use Sta-Bil Marine Stabilizer for Ethanol Fuels in every gasoline engine on my place. This helps prevent corrosion in the fuel system (alcohol goes into solution with water) and keeps the fuel system clean. I also think it keeps the engine and intake tract clean as well as the exhaust tract, including cat converters.
I look at it like this; should I spend a little at a time to maintain the efficiency and performance of the vehicle or wait until trouble starts and then spend a lot at one time? Not much of a question for me - I've always taken the proactive approach and I have never had a major engine repair or replacement in over fifty years of driving/owning vehicles. I avoid even minor repairs and so-called 'recommended maintenance' such as fuel system cleaning, throttle body cleaning and intake tract/upper cylinder cleaning.
Today's premium engine oils, like Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, are so much better than oil was only ten years ago that I am not inclined to add anything to it. It depends on if I detect any sludge build-up. If I do, I use a mild cleaning additive like Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil - never any kind of 'viscosity improver' like STP or other 'motor honey'. If you have to use stuff like that or even heavier engine oil than specified, your engine is already in big trouble.
Even though my truck is eight years old, it has less than 18,000 miles, so obviously it wouldn't be but so dirty even without the gas additive, but its not the first vehicle I've used it on. We have two more here, a mini van and a compact SUV that have 100,000 miles between them, also with no fuel system or induction cleaning and no engine problems of any kind. Cat converters stay 'sweet'. You know how you may be behind a car that is accelerating, like on an on-ramp and you get that sour converter smell? That car is headed for trouble. It has the typical problems of a vehicle that has not benefitted from preventive maintenance of the fuel system and induction tract; carbon, clogged injectors and build-up in the converters.
I guess I could sit here and write all day on the subject, but bottom line is forget about 'performance enhancement' except in the sense of prolonging the life of the vehicle and maintaining new car performance. And don't forget to use your gas pedal every so often when it is safe and legal to do so. Engines really need this to keep running right. Let that thing eat once in awhile even if you don't use any fuel additives. Stretch the connecting rods a little - its good for them .

Old 02-13-2015, 09:00 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I've used Techron in my truck and a 98 corvette that I own. I was having a rough idle problem with my truck and a couple of tankfulls with Techron added took care of the problem.

The 98 corvette has a common problem for them, with the fuel level gauge dropping to empty due to sulfur deposits on the fuel level sensor. The fix for it, other than replacing the sensor, is using Techron every 2 or 3 tankfulls which in most cases fixes the problem.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Don't expect any performance gains. Some of these products can be good to counteract the effects of some of the poor quality fuels that are around today. If you can find and use good fuel there should never be a need for them. That being said Techron is good stuff. I've used it in the past and recommended it to many people.

Beware of places selling you induction cleanings. Ford and most other manufacturers will not recommend them but some dealers and independent service centers will give you the hard sell on them. The chemicals are often sold at over 200% mark-up so they are a major profit maker. Along with all the other chemical flush services.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as for additives, the only ones I use and have used are either Lucas or Seafoam, I have (as of post) a 1995 F150 that I run seafoam through its vacuume line every so often (every 5K to 10K give or take) and I try to use the lucas or seafoam in the tank every 5 fill ups and seems to keep the engine running and purring, as for "performance" enhancements i don't expect them (plus these are trucks they arn't meant to be your pony car) but I also use 87 or the mid grade (i think its 97) in the tank for the truck...haven't had any major issues at all with the truck, worst I have had is the transfer case breaking and needing replacement. other then that its been a trouble free truck which is why I love my Ford!

Old 02-13-2015, 02:45 PM
STA-BIL®
Former Vendor
Hi everyone,

We are here to help any fuel/fuel additive questions you may have. While some additives can muddy the water with their claims, others stick to a select number of claims that have been tried-and-true for some time.

For example, Chevron Techron is a fantastic fuel system cleaner if that is the particular application you are looking for. To help keep that fuel system clean and to help with some of the damaging effects of ethanol moving forward, we would recommend using a high quality ethanol/fuel stabilizer at each fill up.

We're a little biased, but would recommend STA-BIL®..

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Have a great weekend!

Old 02-14-2015, 08:32 AM
F150Dad
Senior User
Full Disclosure: I work for one of the super major oil companies. I DO NOT work in research and development, but have been to and seen our companies vehicle and engine testing facilities more than once. Imagine a warehouse full of almost every type of vehicle imaginable: coupe, sedan, wagon, truck ect.

I was told this directly from one of the Techs: "to keep your engine running at it's peak performance, switch BRANDS every other tank. If you like Exxonmobil, run two tanks of the octane you like, then run two tanks of Chevron, then two tanks of Shell, then two tanks of BP and so on.

He stated that from their test (and yes they DO test each others fuels) each has their own additive packages. Just varying the additive packages does just as good as remembering to stop and buy a bottle of whatever you like.

Now, to combat ethocrap, you are on your own. But as others have stated, there are additives for that, and I support what they have said and posted.

In Edit: If you typically fill up at Non-Branded stations, then buy all means use an additive. Non-branded stations TYPICALLY (not always) use only the bare minimum additives required to get the fuel to meet local laws. If you do that, order a case off of Amazon or ebay...it works out cheaper that way.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
1Saxman,
At the rate you're driving that truck it will last 50 years with NO oil change!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:12 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
I have a few vehicles I have driven 200- 250K miles. If you change oil regular and do your maintenance there is no reason to add anything to the fuel system. 30 years ago I remember adding a bottle of "dry heat" or something to get rid of moisture in the fuel system that would cause carburetor problems......... Illinois went to 10% ethanol and no problem since then......... Your adding crap to "keep the fuel injectors clean", etc....... what do you think the ethanol is doing ? Save your money.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 AM
STA-BIL®
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
I have a few vehicles I have driven 200- 250K miles. If you change oil regular and do your maintenance there is no reason to add anything to the fuel system. 30 years ago I remember adding a bottle of "dry heat" or something to get rid of moisture in the fuel system that would cause carburetor problems......... Illinois went to 10% ethanol and no problem since then......... Your adding crap to "keep the fuel injectors clean", etc....... what do you think the ethanol is doing ? Save your money.
One of the big issues with ethanol blended gas is that it has a very short shelf life. It can begin to break down in as little as 30 days. That's not to say it is unusable in 30 days, but you may experience some performance issues due to the oxidation of the gasoline. To help combat that, it is a good idea to use a fuel stabilizer in any equipment/gas can sitting for longer than that.

If you have a had good luck with running ethanol blended gas, that is great to hear. However, a great number of people have experienced issues with today's ethanol blended fuels (sluggish performance, gummed up systems, phase separation). Because of this, we are constantly working to provide innovative additives that do exactly what the labels say they do.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 60DRB
1Saxman,
At the rate you're driving that truck it will last 50 years with NO oil change!

Yeah, but I won't last 50 years under ANY conditions! I change oil every November - usually less than 2000 miles. The truck will deteriorate from being kept outside long before the drive train wears out unless I get busy this summer and start taking care of the exterior.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:00 PM
TomBrooklyn2
Trailering
Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback. There were some interesting and useful comments there.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:55 PM
RLSTATEdotCOM
New User
Originally Posted by jr105
I've used Techron in my truck and a 98 corvette that I own. I was having a rough idle problem with my truck and a couple of tankfulls with Techron added took care of the problem.

The 98 corvette has a common problem for them, with the fuel level gauge dropping to empty due to sulfur deposits on the fuel level sensor. The fix for it, other than replacing the sensor, is using Techron every 2 or 3 tankfulls which in most cases fixes the problem.
We should have the user's occupation shown for each post. How else do we know if the poster is, in fact, a sales representative for an additive company? Independent and unbiased reviews are impossible to verify, but a thumbs up/thumbs down system could also help to add credibility to posts.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:05 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
I always keep my vehicles 10 years or longer resulting in 150K miles on the clock or more before replacing them.

The two areas that I've never had an issue with is the fuel system (except for a fuel pump replacement) and the lubrication system.

I never add anything to the oil, coolant or gasoline. I only purchase unbranded gas from high volume stations, I only run MC oil and filters and I perform my maintenance on a very regular basis.

I would never insult anyone as saying that these additives are snake oil or otherwise but I'm bot seeing a need for any additive unless you are storing your gas for a long period for use on a generator for instance.

IMHO if you follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule out lined in the owners guide for normal use or sever duty, which ever applies, then you should never need to add anything to your fluids.

If the need were there to add them, the dealers would sell and push it.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:55 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
"If the need were there to add them, the dealers would sell and push it."

True. But... The following is a "brand name" Q&A with some pertinent information;

Gumout Q & A - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy