Thinking of buying a 2003 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:31 PM
catbones
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a 2003 F150

Hi there,

I'm looking around to get suggestions, I'm thinking of buying a really good looking 2003 F150, 4x4 SuperCrew however it has 138k on it. Should I worry about buying something like that and run, or is that reasonable mileage?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I bought a 2001 with 125K on it and drove it till it had 250K.... Last summer I got a 2002 with 100K and started over with it.......... 138K is below average mileage if it was taken care of...
Ask if it has had spark plugs.
Ask if the trans oil has been changed
Ask if the front wheel bearings/ hubs are original or new
Ask when it had brakes installed
Look in radiator for signs of sealer or addatives in the antifreeze

Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 PM
catbones
Junior User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
I bought a 2001 with 125K on it and drove it till it had 250K.... Last summer I got a 2002 with 100K and started over with it.......... 138K is below average mileage if it was taken care of...
I hear ya... I'm sort of stuck between a black one at an auction dealer for $7000 which like I said has 137k,,... and a private sale one that has 90k same year but had tranny replaced by ford... same price though. Same everything in fact other then mileage.. and tranny

Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 PM
catbones
Junior User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
What would the antifreeze and radiator look like if it had signs of sealer or additives ?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by catbones
What would the antifreeze and radiator look like if it had signs of sealer or additives ?
As a general rule, Probably wouldn't look as vibrant, but a bit dull in color, & or, perhaps some residue floating on the top of the coolant. "The floaters" would be better/ easier seen if one has a direct view into the radiator prior to it being started and run up to temp, things get remixed after the coolant gets circulated and not as easy to see. But many radiators do not have that "direct view" via a radiator cap today, aka old school. So that leaves you to check the interior side walls of the overflow tank, or purge tank, or degas bottle, or what ever they want to call it these days. If its interior side wall looks dark, slimy & residue laden, then odds are good some kind of sealer/ additive was added some where in its past. But ...These semi-clear overflow tanks do tend to get a little dirty or stained over the coarse of time, as coolant systems tend to be very neglected. So don't expect to see a very clean interior either.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:07 AM
catbones
Junior User
Thanks for all that feedback! I think I did great, found a 2003 F150 with 113k on it for $7300-7400, I've checked as much as I could have. It's the FX4 four door super screw. I think they are half ton trucks if I'm correct.

Anyways the coolant smelled good, looked good nothing floating in any of the tanks and no engine stuff noises.

In terms of ball joints and such; ball joints were replaced; tie rods, new brakes, rotors, wheel bearings front. They are freshly new you can see it and got the paperwork a on that stuff being done.

I don't know if its just the new brakes or new bearings; I ran it twice and there was no noise. Then bringing it home it snowed and was pretty went on the roads. Half way the back wheels are squeecky half turn every turn or rotation of the wheel. Not real sure about that will see today.

I'll open a new threat and get some photos of the truck and do a whole intro. Thanks again guys.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Probably a little rust on the rotor edges....you did good! IMHO best year for the round body. Better heads with more threads, no cam phasers or 2-piece plugs, you'll love it.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 PM
catbones
Junior User
Yeah love the look of it. Two color paint, larger wheels it looks.. a few issues of course like a straight pipe (no muff) that might need to change; sounds awesome but just might need a muff for next year inspection. Also the door locks, they unlock without an issue but locking them no go.. I'm thinking relay.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM
catbones
Junior User
Ok, so after looking at about 5.... and hoping to find a 4 door FX4 in 2003 year.. finally found one and pulled the trigger on it. Here she is... the dealer stock photo for now; too much snow in my area to wash and take real good photos for the whole introductions, but I will.

What do you guys think? it's 2003, FX4.... with 116K. Has a little brake squeaking going on from time to time, something I'm gonna have to figure out or take it back and let them either adjust the e-brake if its dragging or I donno. Also either alternator/belt or pulley is making weird noise when cold but that's for summer I guess.. or little warmer temps.

Dealer photo

Old 02-04-2015, 05:07 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by catbones
Ok, so after looking at about 5.... and hoping to find a 4 door FX4 in 2003 year.. finally found one and pulled the trigger on it. Here she is... the dealer stock photo for now; too much snow in my area to wash and take real good photos for the whole introductions, but I will.

What do you guys think? it's 2003, FX4.... with 116K. Has a little brake squeaking going on from time to time, something I'm gonna have to figure out or take it back and let them either adjust the e-brake if its dragging or I donno. Also either alternator/belt or pulley is making weird noise when cold but that's for summer I guess.. or little warmer temps.

Dealer photo
Look'n good

Is the "weird noise" just on start up?? and quickly goes away with in a few seconds? or is it prolonged until engine is warmed up?

If it is just shows up on severe cold weather and cold starts & last just a few seconds, it's prolly the power steering pump trying to move thickened power steering fluid. You can try using the turkey baster to suck out as much PS fluid as possible and refill it with new...start it & let it circulate a bit and drain it again and refill and restart. Do that a couple more time and you should have most of that old stuff out it might help with the noise.

If it is lasting for a longer period then it could be number of different things

Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM
catbones
Junior User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
Look'n good

Is the "weird noise" just on start up?? and quickly goes away with in a few seconds? or is it prolonged until engine is warmed up?

If it is just shows up on severe cold weather and cold starts & last just a few seconds, it's prolly the power steering pump trying to move thickened power steering fluid. You can try using the turkey baster to suck out as much PS fluid as possible and refill it with new...start it & let it circulate a bit and drain it again and refill and restart. Do that a couple more time and you should have most of that old stuff out it might help with the noise.

If it is lasting for a longer period then it could be number of different things
Hey thanks for the tips! Umm it's only on start and goes away. The belt looks beat up so I'll replace it. Most annoying so far are my brakes or something that squeaks on low speeds, slowing down and stuff, they just tripping ... First I thought it was e-brake but doesn't look like its hanging. Might have to take it in somewhere it's getting annoying

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Hunt4Fun
Senior User
Truck looks great! Nice find!