6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Braking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 PM
BIG E Stroker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braking Problem

2004 F350 CC LB Auto 4x4 Manual Hubs

When braking, the pedal is very light till I hit a certain point, about halfway pushed in then the brakes grab hard. Not hard enough to lock up on dry pavement, but hard enough. No codes, no leaks, power steering and brake fluid are full. I have researched here, thedieselstop, and google, nothing as far as these symptoms. Feels almost like it might be the brake pressure sensor but the info I have gathered has said that is only a backup to the brake pedal switch. I don't understand how is it only a backup if it is also "measuring" the pressure you push in on the brake pedal. Is there a way to test the sensor and switch? All help appreciated, thanks. Also, I am using the Launch CReader CRP123 code reader. Again, no code pops up under the OBDII, KOEO, or KOER.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Can you try hammering on the brakes in wet conditions and see if you can get the antilock to cycle? You may need to bleed brakes. Need more on the he truck history and maintenance. Ie last brake job, fluid changed out, new power steering flipuid, it is the hydro boost for the brake booster?

I am not familiar with that code reader, you may need something more specific.

Does it stop well otherwise the pedal feel?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 PM
BIG E Stroker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Can you try hammering on the brakes in wet conditions and see if you can get the antilock to cycle? You may need to bleed brakes. Need more on the he truck history and maintenance. Ie last brake job, fluid changed out, new power steering flipuid, it is the hydro boost for the brake booster?

I am not familiar with that code reader, you may need something more specific.

Does it stop well otherwise the pedal feel?

I guess I should add that I just purchased this about a week and half ago, but it is not my first 6.0. Haven't "hammered" on it because when it gets wet, it freezes here in KS. This condition just started a couple of days ago after braking just fine. No idea as far as last brake job, by the looks of pads, 1/2 gone, its been awhile. There is no "whine" as if the power steering is bad or hydroboost is going out like on my 02 Cummins. It does have hydroboost if that is a question. And it was replaced at 35k...granted the truck has 210k now. The pedal feels fine when it gets firm, like a brake pedal should IMO. But as you slow down, the point of "softness" comes back and I have to push further to hit that firm point again.
As far as recent repairs:
Driver's front hub replaced at 209k
Trans Harness and PCM at 206k by PSE in Houston
***not sure if it has been reflashed lately, do not have receipts for that***

Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Why I say do some braking on slippery surfaces is to get the antilock to cycle as I am betting you have air in the system. After you have done this, I think bleeding the brakes is next. I would also look into changeling the power steering fluid, via exchange. It's probably pretty old with that many miles. The other thing you can think about doing to improve feel and performance is look at luring those caliper slide pins. Just suggestions.