1946 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I could start with a cover over the master cylinder floor access and a floor mat. It's like an empty tin box with 12 ply traction tires and enough leaf springs to jar even a recently done filling loose. Not that I'm complaining....

Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Bazookabert
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a good clean looking truck. I had a dump truck a while back, but nothing like yours! I wanted a smaller truck, that's why I got this current truck.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bert, what did you do with that nice old dump truck? Looks like a 47 with the vacuum 2 speed rear axle. I plan to put a dump body and the 2 speed axle on my 46 in the not too distant future. Always been partial to dump trucks.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
I'm debating wether to put that foil-backed insulation in my cab while it is still "empty". I saw it used on the tv show Trucks a while back. They applied it to the roof, floor, back, and firewall of their project truck. It supposedly reduces road noise and heat inside the cab. Not like my truck is going to be my daily driver.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Bazookabert
Freshman User
Joe, you have a pretty good eye! To make a long story long...( excuse my rambling). The truck was actually a '45 with a manual 2 speed rear axle. There was a big 'ol lever on the extreme left of the cab, almost a knuckle buster it was so close to the side. I remember it had a jog in the the lever before it went thru the floor, because it was all shiny from my left heal rubbing on it. Anyways, I'll skip to the end, I traded the truck for an old car, which I sold on ebay. The old pard that got the truck gave it a face lift and sold it on Craigs list. I heard that it went downstate, just below the bridge. I was a little bummed about that, because the truck had spent it's life in the U.P. working away. It was a cool truck, just to much of a beast for me.

The best memory of the truck was when I took it to a local car show. The truck was attracting more attention than lots of the 25k muscle cars. Good old folks like the old stuff. That pic was actually taken while we were driving in the car show cruise. I was noted for having the largest smoke cloud behind me.... she burned a little oil!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Bazookabert
Joe, you have a pretty good eye! To make a long story long...( excuse my rambling). The truck was actually a '45 with a manual 2 speed rear axle. There was a big 'ol lever on the extreme left of the cab, almost a knuckle buster it was so close to the side. I remember it had a jog in the the lever before it went thru the floor, because it was all shiny from my left heal rubbing on it. Anyways, I'll skip to the end, I traded the truck for an old car, which I sold on ebay. The old pard that got the truck gave it a face lift and sold it on Craigs list. I heard that it went downstate, just below the bridge. I was a little bummed about that, because the truck had spent it's life in the U.P. working away. It was a cool truck, just to much of a beast for me.

The best memory of the truck was when I took it to a local car show. The truck was attracting more attention than lots of the 25k muscle cars. Good old folks like the old stuff. That pic was actually taken while we were driving in the car show cruise. I was noted for having the largest smoke cloud behind me.... she burned a little oil!
Great story! I have heard of the lever actuated 2 speed. Bet that was fun to operate! Let's see, you have to steer, shift, and split shift - all with two hands.

I didn't realize you are a yooper! I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer for a few years in the late 80's. I really liked the area and the people were great. The snow was incredible. Now I'm back to being a Troll.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Bazookabert
Freshman User
That's cool, you are familiar with my area! KI is our airport now, and there are some industrial type businesses there too. An aluminum extrusion place, some urithane place and a few others. We have had lots of snow this year..... can't wait for summer!

I'll dig up some more pics of the old dump truck, might have one of the lever for the rear axle.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Bazookabert
That's cool, you are familiar with my area! KI is our airport now, and there are some industrial type businesses there too. An aluminum extrusion place, some urithane place and a few others. We have had lots of snow this year..... can't wait for summer!

I'll dig up some more pics of the old dump truck, might have one of the lever for the rear axle.
I imagine 9 months of winter then 3 months of non-winter gets a little old. The first winter I was up there I was amused to see people that had to dig the snow out from the first floor windows. I lived in Gwin(sp?) and remember eating at Helen's Iron Skillet. I must be getting old cause that was a long time ago.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Bazookabert
Freshman User
I like the 3 months of "non-winter" that's very accurate! I found these pics of the old truck, but no good interior pics. In one you can see the lever in the floor, but that's about it. The truck had to have an awesome life, motor swaps, repairs, abuse.... it looks like it had it all!

I was told the truck was originally a coal hauler, then a scrapper bought it. Then I think it bounced around a few people's yards for a toy. I purchased it from a guy who's brother passed away and nobody in the family wanted it.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the pics! The truck looks remarkably solid for spending it entire life where salt is used. Just imagine if that truck could talk. I have a similar size dump body that I hope to install on my truck someday.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
That truck looks as solid as mine. Mine came from Minot ND. It had an Anthony Dump hoist, but no bed. A friend of mine runs the same hoist on his fleet of '47-54 chev dump trucks. He loves spares so he told me if I bought and shipped the truck out here he would pay for half of the truck and half of the shipping if he could have the hoist. Couldn't say no to that. I don't need to dump and I had a nice 9' script stakebed off my '59 project. Engine was seized so I put an 8ba in it like yours. I love the picture of yours going under the overpass. I'm really hooked on the '42-'47 trucks.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Bazookabert
Freshman User
I finally got to drive my pickup further than the end of the driveway. Had lots of radiator drama.... and I ended up putting an aluminum radiator in it for now.

Anyhow, when I got home I tried to start it back up.... nothing, wouldn't fire (warm engine). I remembered seeing this resistor on the inside firewall. So I jumped it out and vrooom, fired right up.

My book shows no ballast resistor in the circuit. My question is; is it supposed to be there and what's next to it?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:26 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
That whole block is known as the Circuit Breaker. It was the fuse box of it's day. The resistor is supposed to be there for the spark/coil?? I forget right now. All of those connections should be cleaned and reseated. Are you running the stock fuel pump? Heat and that thing aren't exactly good traveling companions. Flatties have an annoying habit of not starting after they get to operating temperature. It can be electrical or fuel supply.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:22 AM
Bazookabert
Freshman User
Excellent, now I can do some more research and learning about it Thanks for letting me know it's supposed to be there!