6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Some things I learned this past month or so

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:05 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some things I learned this past month or so

I learned that injectors can leak right out of the body and fill your oil pan with diesel.

I learned to keep the oil level in the middle of the dipstick so it can be read easier.

I learned that a 70/30% oil/ fuel mix can cause low oil pressure, and I learned that a full mechanical gauge will show aeration way better than an electric gauge will.

I learned that that same mixture of oil and fuel will change your deltas from 5-7 degrees to 8-12 degrees.

I learned that you can screw up putting your new IPR valve in, and the truck still won't run, causing you more confusion than you were experiencing before.

I learned that live data reading gauges are a gift from God.

I learned you can weld the end shut on an old standpipe and swap it in for the air test, and eliminate 14 potential leak sources under each valve cover, so you know the air you are hearing with the normal standpipe is coming from the crankcase area.

I learned that cheap injectors will not only cost you more in the long run, they will also increase the amount of knowledge you will acquire about Ford 6.0 engines. Greatly.

I learned that a good, 2 step aluminum sawhorse, ratchet strapped to the front bumper, can make working on a 6.0 much more pleasant.

And finally, I learned that there's no better sounding diesel engine out there than a Ford 6.0 that's running properly.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These trucks are more than transportation, they're a hobby. I have 2 of these trucks, both had not had proper maintenance and have needed oil coolers and Ipr valves. I have also learned an important lesson on using aftermarket parts with a Dorman oil cooler about 2 years ago. People can barely change oil in these trucks, much less change the trans, oil fuel and air filters/oils when needed. I go through this battle with most vehicles I drive. My wife can pick good reliable vehicles, I have an eye for adventure lol.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
So glad to see you didnt get beat. It gets easier, trust me.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Now that you have all the climbing done.
You can also say how good it feels to know that
you can fix it.

Sheetrock bench works wonders

That dreaded "D" ring

BTW I picked up a set of these on Ebay
The only real thing different that this one does is let
you screw in the IPC sensor and read what the pump is
putting out. Your price is much better than mine was that is for sure.

Nice homemade Stand Pipe puller

Injector bore brush set and the Snap-On bore scope.

Mini-Ductor. Inductive heater. Nice for stuck nuts and bolts

Sean

Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
that bench adjustable for height or at a fixed 20"?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,520 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Those mini-ductors are pretty sweet tools, but they are NOT cheap!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 78fordman
These trucks are more than transportation, they're a hobby. I have 2 of these trucks, both had not had proper maintenance and have needed oil coolers and Ipr valves. I have also learned an important lesson on using aftermarket parts with a Dorman oil cooler about 2 years ago. People can barely change oil in these trucks, much less change the trans, oil fuel and air filters/oils when needed. I go through this battle with most vehicles I drive. My wife can pick good reliable vehicles, I have an eye for adventure lol.
Actually to a lot of the guys it becomes an obsession or addiction.
Sadly after 53 years of turning wrenches it became just a job to be done.
No joy or real passion anymore, probably should have retired 20 years ago.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by WatsonR
that bench adjustable for height or at a fixed 20"?
That bench is fully adjustable. Made my project last July
so much easier. The only pain was the hood latch. I put
a section of heavy poly foam pad over that and was so much better.

Sean

Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Just for reference if you mark the location with a paint pen or marks alot that latch can be removed and let to hang out of the way. Lots easier on the belley.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I should of said that the latch was not the worst part.
The hump on the fan shroud seemed to also
hit in just the right spot on the sternum. That is why
that polly pad worked so well. I put a towel on top to
keep it from sliding out each time I moved.

I do get what your saying on the paint pen.
That also works for marking the hood alignment
on the hinges.

Sean

Old 12-09-2014, 05:32 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Yea I use an old lawn chair cushion myself. That fan shround is just in the right or wrong spot also.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
They can be frustrating but there no feeling like when you finally beat the stubborn SOB and it starts again. I bought mine knowing there was an issue and less than 24 hours later it quit. But with help from many people on here and a couple of times where you wanted to sit on the shop floor and cry, it was running again. Took me about a month between figuring it out and waiting for the parts but its been good since. Knock on wood!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My rib cage and arms are pretty sore today after doing standpipes and dummy plugs. I used a little foam kneeling pad I bought for my wife to garden. I clearly will need something larger in the future.

This site has been tremendously helpful. It is great to learn some of this second hand rather than all by trial and error. For example, when my truck took forever to start after this weekend project, I did not panic (which is not at all like me after a big project like this).

So anyway thanks John - now I learned a bunch too!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:01 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Dan, since you bumped this back op to the top, I have one more thing to add.
I think, after years of calling Ford engineers idiots, that I figured out why they put that stupid oil pressure idiot gauge in.
After driving my truck a few thousand miles, and watching the electric/mechanical gauge, I think it just might freak out the average, non gearhead 6.0 owner. That gauge rocks the world when the engine is cold, settles down to about 55 lbs on the highway, but drops to 20 or below hot and idling.
If they were to come with a 0-80 lb gauge, it would be all over the map. I'm sure they would have been getting non-stop calls about it from new truck owners.
Now maybe my pressure is low, maybe I hurt my crank running the 70/30 mixture, and I'm about to get a surprise, but I don't think so... there was no metal in any of the 3 filters I put in in the last 2000 miles during the fiasco, and the oil pressure hits 80 plus cold.
I think these engines just have a bunch of internal leakage... pistons jets, big crank clearances, high pressure oil usage, and mabe even more valve train oiling for the 4 valves per cylinder. Never thought to stop and check that one out in the rebuilding confusion.
Anyway, that's my useless info for the night!

Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by John Irwin
Ok Dan, since you bumped this back op to the top, I have one more thing to add.
I think, after years of calling Ford engineers idiots, that I figured out why they put that stupid oil pressure idiot gauge in.
After driving my truck a few thousand miles, and watching the electric/mechanical gauge, I think it just might freak out the average, non gearhead 6.0 owner. That gauge rocks the world when the engine is cold, settles down to about 55 lbs on the highway, but drops to 20 or below hot and idling.
If they were to come with a 0-80 lb gauge, it would be all over the map. I'm sure they would have been getting non-stop calls about it from new truck owners.
Now maybe my pressure is low, maybe I hurt my crank running the 70/30 mixture, and I'm about to get a surprise, but I don't think so... there was no metal in any of the 3 filters I put in in the last 2000 miles during the fiasco, and the oil pressure hits 80 plus cold.
I think these engines just have a bunch of internal leakage... pistons jets, big crank clearances, high pressure oil usage, and mabe even more valve train oiling for the 4 valves per cylinder. Never thought to stop and check that one out in the rebuilding confusion.
Anyway, that's my useless info for the night!
No, Not Useless.
Think of all the people out there what WOULD freak out when the pressure drops
even when it normal.

Sean

Quick Reply: Some things I learned this past month or so